Prospect Info: Matthew "The Bison" Coronato (13 Overall 2021) - Signed to ELC

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I just can't get too excited about Coronato.
I love Coronato but I also wish he was Canadian/Russian/Finnish/Swedish... or anything other than an American.
Sorry but I just think he's going to burn us in the end and will end up wanting to play in the USA. Been there done that. It wasn't nice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He’ll be with the big club after his season is over, I have very little hesitation about that.

This Flames team will be good, and positioned to be good for a number of years. He’ll be joining a good roster and likely be joining into a top 9 role.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What do y'all see his floor and ceiling?

Floor: Vesey type that sort of can’t make that transition into the NHL at that high of level, will still play 7-10 years in the league but never a certain multimillion dollar thing.

Ceiling: he could be a DeBrincat type player; able to score 35 goals in the NHL.

Likelihood: somewhere around Cole Caufield; who is, himself a developing player.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I just can't get too excited about Coronato.
I love Coronato but I also wish he was Canadian/Russian/Finnish/Swedish... or anything other than an American.
Sorry but I just think he's going to burn us in the end and will end up wanting to play in the USA. Been there done that. It wasn't nice.
I think this fear gets overblown a bit. The only real guy who spurned the Flames if Fox, and Coronato has (iirc) outright said he'd sign with Calgary which is a far cry from Fox. The other two Americans that he could compare to would be Tkachuk and Guadreau. If Coronato gives us anything like they did over their tenures before leaving it'd be real hard to complain about him leaving.

Reactions: MM917 and Dack

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
If there's the slightest doubt that he will sign, he should be traded asap before his value evaporates. Right now, he's trending towards blue-chip territory and could still be used for a substantial hockey trade

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Fox spurned Carolina too which kind of ruins the whole narrative

Coronato will sign if there's an NHL spot for him
Not really. It was already highly speculated that he was signing in NY before the trade. He was basically a throw in mid round pick

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Boeser, Q Hughes, Connor, Matthews, Caufield, Wheeler all Americans that don't seem to have a problem playing in Canada. Realize why us Flames fans would be sensitive to it considering the last while but I don't think it's a major issue with Coronato. He wants to play in the NHL and the Flames have a deficit of RS RWers, especially after Toffoli is gone.

If he doesn't sign after the college season ends, that's when you can begin your anxiety spiral.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Not really. It was already highly speculated that he was signing in NY before the trade. He was basically a throw in mid round pick
The narrative being that American born players would rather be anywhere in the States than anywhere in Canada

Also, in Wadell's own words, Fox was not a throw in. That deal doesn't happen without his inclusion.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Carolina insisted that Fox be involved in the trade for it to go through. I also remember Dundon going on the record a few times adamantly stating that he would sign with the Canes

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Is he playing C right now for Harvard? Is he still slotted to be a top 6 RWer?

He has been playing C a lot of the year. I think RW is more likely where he ends up in the NHL but good to have some versatility anyways.

Seems like he looks bigger this season, not huge or anything but noticeably harder to knock off the puck. That's what makes the NCAA a real good place to develop.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Could he end up like a Frolik type of swiss army knife type player at the NHL? Or is he more of a specific type of player?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Could he end up like a Frolik type of swiss army knife type player at the NHL? Or is he more of a specific type of player?

Sounds like it. From the initial scouting report, if it helps
He could be a top-six NHL forward. Coronato can play on the power play and penalty kill if he reaches his ceiling. His game is reminiscent of Kyle Palmieri but this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and ability.

Reactions: Fig

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’d say Mike Cammalerri is what you hope he becomes at the NHL level. He might end up being more like Tyler Toffoli when it’s all said and done.

I just don’t see the physicality or elite skating that you need to be a successful NHL Center. But he’s smart and he likes to shoot so he’ll fit well in Sutter’s system.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad