Prospect Info: Matthew "The Bison" Coronato (13 Overall 2021) - Signed to ELC

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Looking forward to watching him at the WJC, but can someone tell me how he earns our #1 prospect spot?

I mean guys like Fracis, Kerins & Beck are all similar is size & output, but were drafted in 5th/6th rnds, and those other 3 would be unlikely to crack our top 10 prospect.

It's an honest question, I really don't know much about these guys. From what I can gather Coronato's skating doesn't seperate him, they are all smaller, offensively gifted forwards, but maybe Matt is more a 200 ft player?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Looking forward to watching him at the WJC, but can someone tell me how he earns our #1 prospect spot?

I mean guys like Fracis, Kerins & Beck are all similar is size & output, but were drafted in 5th/6th rnds, and those other 3 would be unlikely to crack our top 10 prospect.

It's an honest question, I really don't know much about these guys. From what I can gather Coronato's skating doesn't seperate him, they are all smaller, offensively gifted forwards, but maybe Matt is more a 200 ft player?

The easiest answer to your question is his skill set. This guy will almost certainly score goals in the NHL. I like him as a prospect better than Wahlstrom who’s probably a decent comparable. He’s got an energy to his game and I have no issues with his skating.

Coronato projects as a top 6, maybe topline forward. The guys you mentioned have a long ways to show they will even play. To be fair, they have been extremely impressive so far. I really like Francis a lot. He was a stud pick.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
The second easiest answer is that one is making a mistake if directly comparing OHL & QMJHL stats to College stats.

I think its more that I'm being cautious before I would label him our top prospect.
Few on this board would have seen any of the 4 play. Like I said, looking forward to seeing him soon and if the spot is justified.
I also wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years the 4 are a lot closer in the rankings.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

You can’t really compare across leagues, only how they did in their respective leagues. For why Coronato is viewed so highly, he just had the second best goal scoring season from a draft eligible in the USHL in the last 15+ years, ahead of guys like Connor and Boeser and only beaten by Caufield. He now has 6 goals in 11 games as a freshman, which is ahead of Caufield’s pace as a freshman and beats him in points pace too. He has the second best goals per game and the third best points per game out of all freshman in college hockey, on a so far underwhelming Harvard team. This kid is a stud.

For comparisons sake, Kerins had the 16th best points pace out of draft eligibles in the OHL his draft year. Kerins has taken some great steps forward, but this is his last year in the OHL before his overage season. He is expected to be one of the best in the league if he has a chance moving forward.

Last edited:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think its more that I'm being cautious before I would label him our top prospect.
Few on this board would have seen any of the 4 play. Like I said, looking forward to seeing him soon and if the spot is justified.
I also wouldn't be surprised if in a couple years the 4 are a lot closer in the rankings.

Do you define top prospect as closest to NHL or highest ceiling (potential line positioning) in the NHL?

Coronato's ceiling is still top 9 F in the NHL.

The others you mentioned have a ceiling that are all at best bottom 9 in the NHL (middle 6 potential), but likely closer to bottom 6/tweener. What we should actually be kinda be excited for, is a surprise diamond in the rough for those lower picks. At least we might get a handful of meaningful games from those prospects rather than the statistical expectation of nearly nothing.

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
Okay....so...

I loved Fleury, then Iginla, then Gaudreau.

I really believe in the high, high upside of Matthew Coronato... and although he's atleast 1 year away, I see Coronato as our key offensive player in the future.

Here's to hoping.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Tofveve

Dack

Jun 16, 2014

He's playing on a line with Cooley and Knies right now. It looked awesome against Germany and I can't wait to see them against some stronger competition.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Great poise with the puck. Aggressive shooter. Quick release. Deliberate with his decisions.

Defense and skating need work. For example, he was on a back check and it was 1 forward on 3 defenders. He needs to realize he should attack the puck carrier in that scenario.

Last edited:

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
This kid just has so many tools in his tool box to get goals, whether it’s with a filthy shot, battling for a garbage goal, or a net front tip. He is going to put up large goal totals in his career if he gets time with talented players.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4