Prospect Info: Matthew Samoskevich (2021, #24 overall), Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
We will see him in the Invitation Sessions, after the Season to close out the Season and get an early sight on the Player or latest we see him, in the prospect Tournament in September.

He showed talent, now he his to adjust and develop.

and about the Contract Question watch this, looks like we willed to lose a Year of his Contract to give him early PO expierence in Adult Games. For me the right decision. He gets an impression what await him and what he has to work on. Small advance fast Building up Body is the wrong Way, ask Ekblad looseing Speed and Agility.
Mackie Samoskevich Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
As I’ve just said a couple of posts before…

I think the whole scenario with the ATO and then the ELC was for the Panthers to not burn a year of his entry-level contract !

Signing as late as Samoskevich did means he isn’t eligible for playoffs IMO.

He won’t be black ace, he may get around the team, but he can’t be in that group if I got the rules right. He isn’t eligible.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
As I’ve just said a couple of posts before…

I think the whole scenario with the ATO and then the ELC was for the Panthers to not burn a year of his entry-level contract !

Signing as late as Samoskevich did means he isn’t eligible for playoffs IMO.

He won’t be black ace, he may get around the team, but he can’t be in that group if I got the rules right. He isn’t eligible.
He's eligible because he was on the reserve list at the deadline, same reason Knies was eligible for the leafs.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
He's eligible because he was on the reserve list at the deadline, same reason Knies was eligible for the leafs.

Everything single player we draft is on our reserve-list… Reserve-list is the amount of players you have in your organisation… Signed or not (only drafted), number can go up to 90 !

But you’re right, it seems he is able to join our team for this run… I don’t get the whole ATO thing then… Really strange way of handling that business by Zito ! He must know something we don’t.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Everything single player we draft is on our reserve-list… Reserve-list is the amount of players you have in your organisation… Signed or not (only drafted), number can go up to 90 !

But you’re right, it seems he is able to join our team for this run… I don’t get the whole ATO thing then… Really strange way of handling that business by Zito ! He must know something we don’t.
That's why I said I thought Samo was testing the waters to see if he was ready to make the jump. Or maybe it was a roster issue in Charlotte, dunno.

Either way makes no difference now.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
@mouser you mind helping us out with the Samo contract?

1) Seems to be a 3 year deal so it burns one year with no slide?
2) In your opinion, what are benefits of doing this?

You always seem to know CBA and contract stuff more than most on HF.

Thanks in advance.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
@mouser you mind helping us out with the Samo contract?

1) Seems to be a 3 year deal so it burns one year with no slide?
2) In your opinion, what are benefits of doing this?

You always seem to know CBA and contract stuff more than most on HF.

Thanks in advance.

Mackie is considered a age 20 signing, so his contract is not eligible to slide. The first year (2022-23) will thus burn.

Motivation for the player is to burn the year off the ELC, getting one year closer to their next contract.

Motivation for the team is if they think they might actually use him in the playoffs this season, or they don't really care about burning the ELC year.

The downside to burning a year rarely comes down to the ELC expiring earlier. If there is a negative it's usually burning that season of waiver exemption. For example Samo will be waiver exempt for 3 seasons 2022-23, 2023-24, 2024-25. Whereas if the contract started next year he'd be waiver exempt through 2025-26. (or 160 NHL games in either case)

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Mackie is considered a age 20 signing, so his contract is not eligible to slide. The first year (2022-23) will thus burn.

Motivation for the player is to burn the year off the ELC, getting one year closer to their next contract.

Motivation for the team is if they think they might actually use him in the playoffs this season, or they don't really care about burning the ELC year.

The downside to burning a year rarely comes down to the ELC expiring earlier. If there is a negative it's usually burning that season of waiver exemption. For example Samo will be waiver exempt for 3 seasons 2022-23, 2023-24, 2024-25. Whereas if the contract started next year he'd be waiver exempt through 2025-26. (or 160 NHL games in either case)

Thank you a lot for those details but situation is a little bit different… Or I mean… It’s not signing his deal to got us wondering…

The kid signed only an ATO out of college to finish the year with the Checkers Charlotte, and now that their season is done, he signed his ELC !

It is weird timing and weird process IMO. Have any idea why they did it like that ? Maybe it was a situation with the salary-cap and our pro-roster ?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Appreciate the insight as always!!

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Amazing: a follow up question.

Can a player that signs an ATO return to the NCAA?

That's why I said I thought Samo was testing the waters to see if he was ready to make the jump. Or maybe it was a roster issue in Charlotte, dunno.

Either way makes no difference now.
The only thing I can think of is that ATOs can play in the AHL playoffs and NHL guys can't

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Thank you a lot for those details but situation is a little bit different… Or I mean… It’s not signing his deal to got us wondering…

The kid signed only an ATO out of college to finish the year with the Checkers Charlotte, and now that their season is done, he signed his ELC !

It is weird timing and weird process IMO. Have any idea why they did it like that ? Maybe it was a situation with the salary-cap and our pro-roster ?

If Samo had signed a NHL contract immediately he would not have been eligible to play in the AHL this season. Signing after the deadline would mean he was ineligible to be loaned anywhere.

Doing it this way allowed him to play in the AHL and burn the contract year.

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008
That’s what I thought with Knies
Douche a roo Leaves fans complaining about us with Samo when they did the same exact thing.AND Knies actually played in P.O. games!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad