Prospect Info: Matthew Samoskevich (2021, #24 overall), Univ. of Michigan (NCAA)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
It's a bit higher than draft consensus (Wheeler at 27 was the best I found; most had him early 2nd round), but it's not a big reach and this draft was difficult to rank anyway.
From the reports, he looks like one of those high potential boom-or-bust picks. I'm okay with that at 24 (23).

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Folks need to start accepting that Z is playing 4-D chess with the other GMs and with amateurs on hockey boards. Let the genius work and enjoy!

Also, on Samoskevic, some are comparing him as having potential to be a Panarin type but I see another facet due to his smooth puck handling, he’s got a resemblance to the young Barzal.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Folks need to start accepting that Z is playing 4-D chess with the other GMs and with amateurs on hockey boards. Let the genius work and enjoy!

Also, on Samoskevic, some are comparing him as having potential to be a Panarin type but I see another facet due to his smooth puck handling, he’s got a resemblance to the young Barzal.

Yeah I see more Barzal than Panarin. I also like the Willy Nylander comparison.

Reactions: Laus723

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Yeah I see more Barzal than Panarin. I also like the Willy Nylander comparison.

To you both, agree with Nylander/Barzal comparisons, shifty and elusive with the puck, can skate for days and draw opposition out of position with high end offense potential.
Was also gonna say a better version of Garland, looks like a puck hound?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
To you both, agree with Nylander/Barzal comparisons, shifty and elusive with the puck, can skate for days and draw opposition out of position with high end offense potential.
Was also gonna say a better version of Garland, looks like a puck hound?

Yeah he's got a little Garland in him as well. The great thing about all these comparisons is theyre all small shifty guys but Stingray is 5'11" 190. He should get up to around 200. A 200 lbs guy that skates and moves like that? :eek::eek::eek:

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yeah he's got a little Garland in him as well. The great thing about all these comparisons is theyre all small shifty guys but Stingray is 5'11" 190. He should get up to around 200. A 200 lbs guy that skates and moves like that? :eek::eek::eek:
I was thinking that too but didn’t dare say “barzal with size” because that’s pushing it :laugh:.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

1649349287639.png

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
By elimination. Close with Deni tho
Denny had a very average season in Charlotte this year. Really hot and cold. Plus he's been injured since January 12th. He hasn't done enough to move the needle this year in my opinion.
Meanwhile Samo crushed it on the PowerPlay, while still producing on third line minutes as a freshman.
The upside is there with him, where I don't know how much is left with Denisenko. He needs a Healthy Start to next year, and hope there's room on the Panthers.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Any chance we sign Mackie? It'd be better for his development to go right to the AHL, and I'm sure that's what Zito and co. would prefer, but I wouldn't fault Mackie for going back to college.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Any chance we sign Mackie? It'd be better for his development to go right to the AHL, and I'm sure that's what Zito and co. would prefer, but I wouldn't fault Mackie for going back to college.
Hard no.
It would not be best for his development not to rush him through the system. He only had 29 Points in 40 games this year.
It would be his, and the Panthers organization best interest to have him in college for at least one more season.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Hard no.
It would not be best for his development not to rush him through the system. He only had 29 Points in 40 games this year.
It would be his, and the Panthers organization best interest to have him in college for at least one more season.
I don't know much about prospects, and I haven't watched Samoskevich play, but isn't 29 points in 40 games actually pretty good for the NCAA? Especially as an 18-year-old depth player?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't know much about prospects, and I haven't watched Samoskevich play, but isn't 29 points in 40 games actually pretty good for the NCAA? Especially as an 18-year-old depth player?
It’s not bad but it isn’t a dominating level: unclear if it’s because of usage or necessity to develop. It’s a promising sign but Samso will benefit from a year of playing as a first line forward.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
No, it's not bad for someone who played sheltered third-line minutes and on the power play all season. I believe Michigan was one of the highest scoring teams in the NCAA, so that might have inflated his numbers a bit. Next step for him is to handle the ice time on the first line next season.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
15-2-1 in the past 18

Bob gave up 2 that are on him, the Weegar one it’s unfair to fault him on. So he really gave up 2 that are more on him. Not a good period but you judge on the totality of the game, not one period. We also forgot we win a vast percentage of games when bob starts, regardless of how it’s done. It’s actually crazy the winning (and points) percentage when he starts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad