Celebrity Death: Matthew Perry, 54

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Chandler Bing was my favorite character in Friends. RIP!
I think most males of a certain age can relate to him.

Here is my thinking what happened. It sounds like he played racket ball for 2 hours before he hit his jacuzzi?

2 theories

He had a heart attack. While he was reportedly clean and sober, he was not watching his diet too much. Two hours of racket ball could have gotten his heart pupping hard and when he got into the jacuzzi--it cause either a stroke or heart attack

second theory.

Slip, trip and fall. He slipped or tripped on something, banged his head and fell into the jacuzzi

Either way this makes me sad.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
This one hurts. My favorite actor growing up. I thought all of the Friends outside of Ross were perfectly cast, but Chandler the most. I just can’t think of how anyone could’ve played that character any better. Kind of freaked out to get in my hot tub again honestly.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
This one hurts. My favorite actor growing up. I thought all of the Friends outside of Ross were perfectly cast, but Chandler the most. I just can’t think of how anyone could’ve played that character any better. Kind of freaked out to get in my hot tub again honestly.
Wear a life jacket. Or always hot tub with a healthy acquaintance.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008

Here is my thinking what happened. It sounds like he played racket ball for 2 hours before he hit his jacuzzi?

2 theories

He had a heart attack. While he was reportedly clean and sober, he was not watching his diet too much. Two hours of racket ball could have gotten his heart pupping hard and when he got into the jacuzzi--it cause either a stroke or heart attack

second theory.

Slip, trip and fall. He slipped or tripped on something, banged his head and fell into the jacuzzi

"Perry has been open about his battle with drugs and alcohol over the course of his career. In 2019, Perry had a near-death experience after his colon burst due to opioid overuse, according to the actor's memoir. He underwent emergency seven-hour surgery and was told at the time that he had a 2% chance of survival"

"The actor took hydrocodone the night before his surgery. When he was administered propofol, an anaesthesia drug, during the procedure, a combination of the two medications stopped his heart...Perry wrote: “I was given the shot at 11am. I woke up eleven hours later in a different hospital. Apparently, the propofol had stopped my heart. For five minutes."

He didn't have the body of a normal 54 year old

Reactions: Mike C

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
"Perry has been open about his battle with drugs and alcohol over the course of his career. In 2019, Perry had a near-death experience after his colon burst due to opioid overuse, according to the actor's memoir. He underwent emergency seven-hour surgery and was told at the time that he had a 2% chance of survival"

"The actor took hydrocodone the night before his surgery. When he was administered propofol, an anaesthesia drug, during the procedure, a combination of the two medications stopped his heart...Perry wrote: “I was given the shot at 11am. I woke up eleven hours later in a different hospital. Apparently, the propofol had stopped my heart. For five minutes."

He didn't have the body of a normal 54 year old
He was quoted as saying " if I die it will shock everyone and surprise no one"

Wear a life jacket. Or always hot tub with a healthy acquaintance.
My hot tub has like 2 feet of water. It's not a danger zone.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.

2 theories

second theory.

3rd theory-- He went Phillip Seymour Hoffman and relapsed. It's more common than we want to admit sometimes. Sadly, being a long term guy in recovery, I've carried more than a few out of churches in boxes.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
3rd theory-- He went Phillip Seymour Hoffman and relapsed. It's more common than we want to admit sometimes. Sadly, being a long term guy in recovery, I've carried more than a few out of churches in boxes.
Indeed. I was very sad when Phil went back after 20 or so years.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
He was incredibly talented and funny, and the most important part of Friends. Always the one to hit the last comedic note in a scene. He seemed like a really good person from people who worked with him early in his career to those at his peak. Addiction is brutal and unrelenting, but he fought his demons and got to the other side and you so wanted him to have a long, happy, life.

Reactions: BHD

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
He was quoted as saying " if I die it will shock everyone and surprise no one"

My hot tub has like 2 feet of water. It's not a danger zone.

His hot tub looks more like a hot pool, really wild that his last post is him in the hot tub too

• Wow
Reactions: Mike C

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He was famous for playing Chandler; and Chandler was beloved because of his performance. Simply put, he was meant for that role. It’s sad that his work is overshadowed by his struggles.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
1698669730056.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad