Confirmed with Link: Matthew Highmore traded for Adam Gaudette

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
There are players who bring enough to the table offensively that it more than counters less than stellar effort defensively. Kane is not a 2 way forward, never has been, never will be, was never drafted to be one.

Coming down on Kane for not having a complete 2 way game is akin to coming down on Murphy for not having 54 points.

His offensive prowess is amazing but no player in the league floats more than he does. It's one thing to be wanting defensively but it's entirely another matter to not give a shit. Others can ignore it even if it costs Hawks games, I can't and I'm not going to apologize for calling out his lack of effort for what it is.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
His offensive prowess is amazing but no player in the league floats more than he does. It's one thing to be wanting defensively but it's entirely another matter to not give a shit. Others can ignore it even if it costs Hawks games, I can't and I'm not going to apologize for calling out his lack of effort for what it is.
Good old fashion Sutter family thinking. The clan that would've, given a chance, tried to turn Gretzky into a reliable two way fifty point a season guy.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Most of the highest scoring forwards of the last 40 years were no different than Kane.

Name me a forward that scored 100+ pts and also finished high in the Selke voting the same year. I dare you.

If you hate Kane you'd despise McDavid.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Most of the highest scoring forwards of the last 40 years were no different than Kane.

Name me a forward that scored 100+ pts and also finished high in the Selke voting the same year. I dare you.

Selke Trophy.... LOL.

No one is asking him to be a Bergeron or a Toews. Just play the game the way you know is right..... as a team with and without the puck. It's not like he is incapable. We've seen him do it.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Kane's been a top 10, arguably top 5, player in the league for a decade now.

De Haan is a defenseman who's body is breaking down at an alarming rate.

Bobby defends one of these guys, while consistently shits on another. But it sure as hell isn't the guy he should be defending.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Selke Trophy.... LOL.

No one is asking him to be a Bergeron or a Toews. Just play the game the way you know is right..... as a team with and without the puck. It's not like he is incapable. We've seen him do it.
Ok Monsieur Lemaire.

Yes, let's remove all offensive creativity out of the game. That's a good way to grow hockey, by turning it into soccer with sticks.

Go watch old clips of the 95 Devils.

More people want a return to the pre 1994 lockout NHL than to turn hockey into soccer.

Adjust your expectations because the Hawks heyday of the early 2010s was a mini dead puck era. Scoring is up. Get used to it.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

The magic man won the Selke pretty much on a yearly basis and while doing that, he also had two 97 points seasons.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I’m pretty sure Doug Gilmour scored over 100 while winning the Selke.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Ok Monsieur Lemaire.

Yes, let's remove all offensive creativity out of the game. That's a good way to grow hockey, by turning it into soccer with sticks.

Go watch old clips of the 95 Devils.

More people want a return to the pre 1994 lockout NHL than to turn hockey into soccer.

Adjust your expectations because the Hawks heyday of the early 2010s was a mini dead puck era. Scoring is up. Get used to it.

What are you talking about? lol

Let me say I don’t think Kane is that bad defensively, but what a strange wild reply to someone expecting a bit more out of Kane defensively.

Also soccer is entertaining, you just don’t understand it.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Interesting thing (interesting at least to me)
Alex DeBrincat played against Adam Gaudette in the USHL-Prep (13-14 season)
- and now they play for the same team, in the NHL

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Liked Highmore, great bubble player last year like Koekkoek and Maatta...played his first game, a 6-2 Canucks win or Leafs...he was pointless and +2

Yeah he showed good energy from what I saw of him. Almost got a tip which would have led to an assist.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
If that's all you require, you got the right guy. He hustles.

Just trying to keep realistic expectations (not expecting him to become Taylor Hall), our top-6 wingers are pretty set when it comes to skill (Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Pearson, then probably Motte, and Podkolzin's also coming over). We just need energy guys with speed and some skill (would be good if he could become a poor man's version of one of the Lightning forwards). Hope Gaudette is serving you guys well too (though I see he was a healthy scratch tonight).

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Just trying to keep realistic expectations (not expecting him to become Taylor Hall), our top-6 wingers are pretty set when it comes to skill (Miller, Boeser, Hoglander, Pearson, then probably Motte, and Podkolzin's also coming over). We just need energy guys with speed and some skill (would be good if he could become a poor man's version of one of the Lightning forwards). Hope Gaudette is serving you guys well too (though I see he was a healthy scratch tonight).
It's too early to say for sure but it doesn't look promising for Gaudette in a Hawks uniform. We need skilled 200-foot players who can grind.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
It's too early to say for sure but it doesn't look promising for Gaudette in a Hawks uniform. We need skilled 200-foot players who can grind.

Hmm then there's a chance he might not be your guy... he works hard and has skill but his metabolism issues might keep him from really growing into the physically strong forward he's aspiring to be to play a 200-foot game. The team favored Brandon Sutter for his more responsible two-way style and took Gaudette out of the lineup against bigger teams like the Wild/ Blues/ Knights. I like his skillset as a player but he might have issues if he's not a Dave Bolland two-way type nor an elite skilled guy.

Canucks' Hoglander sparkling in first bid to earn spot with big club in 2021 - Sportsnet.ca
GROWING ADAM GAUDETTE
No matter how much you try to diet, you do not want Adam Gaudette’s weight-loss program.
For years, the Canucks centre has been trying to add weight to his lanky six-foot-one frame. Diet and exercise often did not do it. The 24-year-old struggled to eat full meals, sometimes struggled to keep the food he had consumed in his stomach. He just wasn’t hungry.
Gaudette figured it was metabolism, just the way he was. But last fall, as his weight declined again despite Gaudette eating and training as a professional athlete should, the forward from Braintree, Mass., was finally diagnosed with the help of a nutritionist.
“I discovered I had some sort of stomach problem that prevents me from eating full meals,” Gaudette told reporters before the Canucks’ full scrimmage Wednesday night. “I would get sick in the mornings randomly. And this has been going on for years. And it’s always been a struggle for me to put weight on. But my nutritionist has caught it. We’re attacking it, we’re working with the doctors here in Van. I’ve got a great team around me, supporting me right now. And it’s going to take a pretty long time to get back on track and get to where I want to be. But we caught this thing now and I’m thrilled about that because I just feel much better.
“The best way to describe it is it’s like a yeast infection in my stomach. It… makes me feel nauseous, sick, not hungry. I’ve been like this since high school. I just thought I was always a kid who never really liked to eat, would never get hungry, but it turns out I had something wrong with me. It’s just such a relief that we figured it out. My whole world has changed for the better.”
Gaudette, who did not name his medical condition, has never missed a game due to his stomach problems. But adding weight to support his increasing strength has always been a problem.
He was listed at 170 pounds when he was selected in the fifth round of the 2015 entry draft, but may have been lighter than that. He got stronger at Northeastern University, where his game blossomed and he became a Hobey Baker winner and U.S. college scoring champion, and in two years of professional hockey had worked his way up to 186 pounds last season.
“(I’m) not as much as I weighed last year, but I definitely got stronger throughout the off-season, quicker,” Gaudette said. “I have the numbers and the weights to prove it in the gym, and I feel it on the ice. But I’m definitely lighter than I want to be.”
Gaudette won an NHL lineup spot last season and had 12 goals and 33 points in 59 games despite modest nightly ice time of 12:23. He is playing at training camp on a line with Antoine Roussel and Zack MacEwen.

Reactions: BobbyJet

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Hmm then there's a chance he might not be your guy... he works hard and has skill but his metabolism issues might keep him from really growing into the physically strong forward he's aspiring to be to play a 200-foot game. The team favored Brandon Sutter for his more responsible two-way style and took Gaudette out of the lineup against bigger teams like the Wild/ Blues/ Knights. I like his skillset as a player but he might have issues if he's not a Dave Bolland two-way type nor an elite skilled guy.

Canucks' Hoglander sparkling in first bid to earn spot with big club in 2021 - Sportsnet.ca
GROWING ADAM GAUDETTE
No matter how much you try to diet, you do not want Adam Gaudette’s weight-loss program.
For years, the Canucks centre has been trying to add weight to his lanky six-foot-one frame. Diet and exercise often did not do it. The 24-year-old struggled to eat full meals, sometimes struggled to keep the food he had consumed in his stomach. He just wasn’t hungry.
Gaudette figured it was metabolism, just the way he was. But last fall, as his weight declined again despite Gaudette eating and training as a professional athlete should, the forward from Braintree, Mass., was finally diagnosed with the help of a nutritionist.
“I discovered I had some sort of stomach problem that prevents me from eating full meals,” Gaudette told reporters before the Canucks’ full scrimmage Wednesday night. “I would get sick in the mornings randomly. And this has been going on for years. And it’s always been a struggle for me to put weight on. But my nutritionist has caught it. We’re attacking it, we’re working with the doctors here in Van. I’ve got a great team around me, supporting me right now. And it’s going to take a pretty long time to get back on track and get to where I want to be. But we caught this thing now and I’m thrilled about that because I just feel much better.
“The best way to describe it is it’s like a yeast infection in my stomach. It… makes me feel nauseous, sick, not hungry. I’ve been like this since high school. I just thought I was always a kid who never really liked to eat, would never get hungry, but it turns out I had something wrong with me. It’s just such a relief that we figured it out. My whole world has changed for the better.”
Gaudette, who did not name his medical condition, has never missed a game due to his stomach problems. But adding weight to support his increasing strength has always been a problem.
He was listed at 170 pounds when he was selected in the fifth round of the 2015 entry draft, but may have been lighter than that. He got stronger at Northeastern University, where his game blossomed and he became a Hobey Baker winner and U.S. college scoring champion, and in two years of professional hockey had worked his way up to 186 pounds last season.
“(I’m) not as much as I weighed last year, but I definitely got stronger throughout the off-season, quicker,” Gaudette said. “I have the numbers and the weights to prove it in the gym, and I feel it on the ice. But I’m definitely lighter than I want to be.”
Gaudette won an NHL lineup spot last season and had 12 goals and 33 points in 59 games despite modest nightly ice time of 12:23. He is playing at training camp on a line with Antoine Roussel and Zack MacEwen.
Thanks for sharing. Gaudette sounds determined enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad