Player Discussion Matthew Highmore (he who does not sage crystals)

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think Highmore has a thread.

As of today he has 4 goals 10 points in 30 games as a Canuck and 1 goal 5 points in 12 games this season. That's solid 4th line production. I'm not sure if Highmore is anything more than a replacement level player but he's been productive.

Reactions: lousy and sting101

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Benning was excoriated on these boards for trading Gaudette for Highmore even up. But looks like this might actually be a 'win' for the previous regime.

Gaudette was waived and is now in Ottawa, while Highmore is looking more and more like a Tyler Motte in the making. Good wheels and solid fourth liner. Just too bad he wasn't a bit bigger. But can't argue with his play since his return from IR.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Has been a nice addition and helps our depth and speed. Him and Motte are hounds on the 4th line and have some scoring ability.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I don't think Highmore has a thread.

As of today he has 4 goals 10 points in 30 games as a Canuck and 1 goal 5 points in 12 games this season. That's solid 4th line production. I'm not sure if Highmore is anything more than a replacement level player but he's been productive.

Those 4th line points this year are legit but last year he was playing up the lineup a ton so you can't really call that 4th line production. Both of his goals were when he was playing with (I think) Miller & Boeser and he was pretty regularly in the 15-20 minutes range.

Not trying to discredit Highmore - he's an acceptable 4th line player.

Reactions: F A N

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think the high hope a lot of us had for Highmore was if he could have an impact similar to Motte. He's not as good as Motte, but he's certainly forming part of an effective line with him and he's been very solid for his price and production. Hard to be displeased with that.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Highmore and Motte together are elite 4th liners. Alone they are useful but their combined skillsets are suffocating on the forecheck

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was listening to Jannik Hansen's interview today on 650 and he was asked about what he thought of Highmore. He kind of hesitated, spoke of Lammikko having played better and Motte (no issues) and then said that he thinks that Highmore, Lammikko, and Motte were the same mould and he wanted to see the 4th line having players that bring different elements (Hansen seems to want to have a fighter in the lineup and mentioned MacEwen). He also thought that our 4th line played too much against San Jose. This is probably a function our 4th line being more of a shutdown line than our 3rd line but that's another matter.

It was an interesting observation since it came from Hansen, but I wonder if he's a bit too old school as he wants a deterrent in the lineup that makes players play bigger and other teams less likely to make a run at our players / makes players safer (I'm paraphrasing Hansen here but I think it's pretty close to what he said).

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I liked Highmore last year and this. Seems exactly the kind of 4th liner we should have been targeting for years, instead of the expensive crapulence we ended up with and for which we are still paying the penalty.

Hopefully if Motte is traded Lockwood can step into the role, and we can keep rolling a cost-controlled, speedy, aggressive 4th line.

Reactions: Erub ot Ynligom

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Chicago fans were happy to have Highmore gone but he's been cheap, effective, and generally improving.

Just goes to show with players like Motte, Lammikko, and Highmore that Benning's approach to the bottom six was completely ass backwards. Ice time is an asset just like cap space and particularly for young, hungry 4th liners looking to carve a career. If you have enough ice time and opportunity you can find some gems instead of paying 12 mil for an old, ineffective fourth line

Reactions: Nucker101 and bh53

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I wonder if Hansen's comment is more about the team needing to address being buttery soft rather than not liking the play of Highmore in particular?

If Motte resigns I could see him moving up the lineup to fill a new vacancy, and them plugging someone tough and hungry into his spot on the 4th line. Lockwood?

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
I was listening to Jannik Hansen's interview today on 650 and he was asked about what he thought of Highmore. He kind of hesitated, spoke of Lammikko having played better and Motte (no issues) and then said that he thinks that Highmore, Lammikko, and Motte were the same mould and he wanted to see the 4th line having players that bring different elements (Hansen seems to want to have a fighter in the lineup and mentioned MacEwen). He also thought that our 4th line played too much against San Jose. This is probably a function our 4th line being more of a shutdown line than our 3rd line but that's another matter.

It was an interesting observation since it came from Hansen, but I wonder if he's a bit too old school as he wants a deterrent in the lineup that makes players play bigger and other teams less likely to make a run at our players / makes players safer (I'm paraphrasing Hansen here but I think it's pretty close to what he said).
Team definitely needs more pushback and scrappyness. Does that mean goon? I’d vote no but a guy like Mac would be very much welcomed in my humblest of.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
The line is great as a unit however Hansen is not wrong in that we need more abrasiveness in line up over all. Finding a guy that can skate and be physical is the challenge.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I wonder if Hansen's comment is more about the team needing to address being buttery soft rather than not liking the play of Highmore in particular?

If Motte resigns I could see him moving up the lineup to fill a new vacancy, and them plugging someone tough and hungry into his spot on the 4th line. Lockwood?

I feel like he wants to say that Highmore is expendable/redundant or even dime a dozen but he doesn't want to say it.

So the way I interpreted his comment is that of the three, Motte is the superior player so enough said. Lammikko plays C and can win faceoffs (so he brings a different element). Highmore doesn't bring anything extra to that group. I think that's what Hansen is saying.

Team definitely needs more pushback and scrappyness. Does that mean goon? I’d vote no but a guy like Mac would be very much welcomed in my humblest of.

I'm not sure if he means goon, but it seems that he thinks there should be someone up front who would say fight someone like Viel so that Schenn and Myers won't be forced to.

MacEwen, I think I like the player I think he can/could have been rather than the player he is. Highmore can't fight like MacEwen but I think Highmore is the superior player, especially defensively.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I didn't like the straight swap of Gaudette for Highmore at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight, it was definitely a trade that Canucks came out on top of.

Highmore is slightly above 'replacement level' as a fourth liner.....but he's on a line with Lammikko and Motte which has become a very versatile trio that can play up and down the lineup. Gaudette meantime was put on waivers by the Hawks and ended up in Ottawa.

So as Benning trades go, it wasn't a bad one. And actually it seems that towards the end of his time here, Benning was getting a bit better in trade market. Motte, Lammikko and Highmore were all acquired via the trade route. Too bad the UFA signings didn't follow the same pattern.

Reactions: Get North

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I feel like he wants to say that Highmore is expendable/redundant or even dime a dozen but he doesn't want to say it.

So the way I interpreted his comment is that of the three, Motte is the superior player so enough said. Lammikko plays C and can win faceoffs (so he brings a different element). Highmore doesn't bring anything extra to that group. I think that's what Hansen is saying.

I'm not sure if he means goon, but it seems that he thinks there should be someone up front who would say fight someone like Viel so that Schenn and Myers won't be forced to.

MacEwen, I think I like the player I think he can/could have been rather than the player he is. Highmore can't fight like MacEwen but I think Highmore is the superior player, especially defensively.
No need for Highmore to be removed. Instead replace Chiasson with a goon for occasional situations.

But what I'm more curious about is can they become top 9 forwards because the weakest top 9 forwards appear to be Hoglander, Dickinson, Pearson.

Reactions: David Bruce Banner

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I like Highmore as a player, all things considered.

I just don't like giving up assets to acquire a player like Highmore. Players like Highmore (and let's not kid ourselves that he's some sort of unicorn) are best acquired without giving up an asset, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad