Prospect Info: Matthew Beniers (Round 1, 2 overall)

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It seems like the league tried to replace Matty with another Kraken player but they just declined as they were basically already on their vacation.

So it seems like Stephensson didn't book his flight fast enough and had to go....:laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: majormajor

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
It seems like the league tried to replace Matty with another Kraken player but they just declined as they were basically already on their vacation.

So it seems like Stephensson didn't book his flight fast enough and had to go....:laugh:
"Sorry, I can't hear you over this Mai Tai? .. What? Thanks but I'm unavailable now.. "

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Of course they have the same type of nose Mario is French Canadian and Beniers is American with French background I'm sure. His name gives it away though not pronounced in the French way

1C for sure with potential to hit a 120 pts...50 goals and 70 assists
I grew up three streets from Marios childhood house and my nose is perfectly fine 😂

Also Benier isn't a francophone surname, at least not in this form. Bernier would be.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't know but I just get a feeling that Beniers has some Italian ancestry in him.
Its the eye brows and the skin color for sure. I could see him slinging mad pizzas on a corner in New Jersey. He looks like Pacioretty a lot.

On topic though, whats with his injury? Should I drop him from my fantasy team or is he coming back soon?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Also Benier isn't a francophone surname, at least not in this form. Bernier would be.

You can expect Americans to butcher French names.

When I taught in New England, Vigneault was pronounced Vig-nolt. And the spellings sometimes end up copying the bad pronunciation.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
You can expect Americans to butcher French names.

When I taught in New England, Vigneault was pronounced Vig-nolt. And the spellings sometimes end up copying the bad pronunciation.
Kind of like Brett Favre...Farve?Amongst many...even English Canadians butcher French-Canadiens last names...Cournoyer name was butchered beyond recognition by Foster Hewitt but that was by design for his dislike of the Quebecois

Reactions: majormajor

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You are correct bud. So it appears both his parents went to Cornell University, as did I.

Mother's maiden name is Maglione, class of '86 OR major. She has darker skin and hair than his dad.
That makes sense. His color was certainly something that made me feel that but outside of that, just his facial structure. I don't know ... LOL.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That makes sense. His color was certainly something that made me feel that but outside of that, just his facial structure. I don't know ... LOL.
Definitely has mom's nose.

cut.jpg

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think he(or his agent) wants to re-sign longterm after a season like this one.

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a bridge deal(3-4 years about 6-7M AAV) for Beniers.

$6m x 3 seems like it would be in the ballpark. Matty gets a nice safety cushion and time to establish value for a bigger deal.

I could also see it being less than that, like $5m x 2. From the club perspective, should we be worried that he's going to pop off and demand $10m per? The knock on him all along is that he doesn't have sky high upside. There's no rush from the team perspective.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
$6m x 3 seems like it would be in the ballpark. Matty gets a nice safety cushion and time to establish value for a bigger deal.

I could also see it being less than that, like $5m x 2. From the club perspective, should we be worried that he's going to pop off and demand $10m per? The knock on him all along is that he doesn't have sky high upside. There's no rush from the team perspective.
If reached his potential, Beniers is said to be a little better... a little better offensive version of Patrice Bergeron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad