Confirmed with Link: Matteau to MTL for Devante Smith-Pelly

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have the same tooth that's been knocked out or failing all the time as him lol. I was hit by a car years ago and lost my two front teeth. I had caps done but that one has been knocked out so many freaking times over the years. A few times playing hockey and a few from getting in non hockey related scraps and stupid **** over the years. it's really just a big pain in the ass getting it worked on. I could yank the temporary out right now and look like him haha.

I've been fortunate enough with keeping all my teeth. I know some people in their 20's and early 30's who have lost a couple. Though I'm very insecure about my teeth, because I feel they're very discolored and not as white as they should be for a non smoker/non coffee drinker. I work with a woman that's early 50's and is drinking coffee all day. I feel like her teeth are nicer than mine, and it's not like they look amazing or anything either. I got into a moped accident when I was a passenger when I was 17 and messed up my mouth and was bleeding everywhere. I swore I would be feeling on my tongue the spots where my teeth used to be after that happened. But I had all of them still.

I have a box of crest white strips that are over a year old, but haven't expired yet. I plan to use them in the next couple of weeks, as I come out of hibernation after the Devils season ends. Hope they work.:laugh:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He actually did though. He produced more shots per 60 and hits than just about anyone in the bottom 6 with his extremely limited time.

In Matteau's ~240 minutes of ice time in NJ, adding or subtracting just one more shot bumps his numbers significantly. Unless his numbers were significantly better than the rest of the bottom six, I don't buy that. In addition, if that's the only thing you can say that Matteau was an improvement over guys like Gionta, Tootoo, Ruutu, O'Neill, etc, don't you think that's part of the problem?

Regardless though, all stats aside, did Matteau really do anything noteworthy to show he has any serious value to the Devils or for another team? Honestly, I went to multiple games when he was playing and every single time I got the notion that he was offering very little. Like I said many times, I like what Matteau could have become. I just don't think that was possible given the fact he had to be on an NHL roster this year and wasn't going to get the development he needed.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Well that thread has fallen into bashing management while also bashing Matts.

Debate is over here. Jim is doing an admirable job being the lone hold out but the debate has run its course.

I seriously almost locked it when Glen gave up, but figured let it either fill or fall.

See we aren't so bad!

So who won?

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
There is a part of me that wonders if we drafted him to stick it to his dad for '94.

Devilswede

Dec 10, 2006
Yea, we really trolled the Rangers by drafting a third round talent in the first round

By all accounts it looks like Paul Castron had Matteau ranked as a late 2nd rounder or third round.

Castron, Shero etc were not very high on Matteau at all. Which is why Shero started letting teams know he was available as soon as they started working this past summer.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
By all accounts it looks like Paul Castron had Matteau ranked as a late 2nd rounder or third round.

Castron, Shero etc were not very high on Matteau at all. Which is why Shero started letting teams know he was available as soon as they started working this past summer.

Thank you for the inside perspective. As always, interesting to read.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I know Conte said at the time that they had Matteau ranked much higher than 29th and were very pleased when he was still available when we were on the board.

I often wonder if some of these picks were made specifically with DeBoer's system in mind. He likes big, tenacious possession guys. Dudes like Matteau and Chatham fit that bill and quite over-drafted.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I know Conte said at the time that they had Matteau ranked much higher than 29th and were very pleased when he was still available when we were on the board.

I often wonder if some of these picks were made specifically with DeBoer's system in mind. He likes big, tenacious possession guys. Dudes like Matteau and Chatham fit that bill and quite over-drafted.
I'm still thinking that they went into that draft believing either Vasilevskiy or Subban was going to be available.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I'm still thinking that they went into that draft believing either Vasilevskiy or Subban was going to be available.

Same, which poses an interesting question.

Would you rather have Vasilevski/Subban + Horvat/Nichuskin/Domi or Matteau + Schneider?

I know that assumes a lot, but it's an interesting discussion to say the least.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Same, which poses an interesting question.

Would you rather have Vasilevski/Subban + Horvat/Nichuskin/Domi or Matteau + Schneider?

I know that assumes a lot, but it's an interesting discussion to say the least.

I think even if you drafted a goalie in 2012 and the Schneider deal comes up in 2013 you still make that same deal for Schneider.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think even if you drafted a goalie in 2012 and the Schneider deal comes up in 2013 you still make that same deal for Schneider.

Especially given that Cory was ready to be a starter immediately. Vasilevsky/Subban you were looking at a couple years development time, which would have meant a stopgap signing/trade to replace Marty (if they didn't trade for Cory). I don't even want to think how badly we would have finished the last two years without Cory. Although I guess if you're in the "you have to completely bottom out and get a couple top 5 picks" camp that might have been preferable.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

It seems like there were a lot of grinder types brought in between 2011 and 2014, not just draft picks.

Ruutu.:shakehead:rant:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice 3m3 minutes ago
Hynes confirmed he sat Smith-Pelly for first half of 2nd period because of his unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Liked he responded after.

Honestly Smith-Pelly was lucky it didn't happen against the Caps when he got away with a boarding early in the second period. But I'm glad he did respond to that wakeup call.

NJDevils7

Feb 13, 2007
New York
2x1.5. A "show us what you've got" deal.

The precise dollar amount is not super important, but I think 2 years is the right term.

That would be great. Would he be a UFA after that deal? I forget the rules now. Is it age? Or amount of years in the league?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad