Confirmed with Link: Matteau to MTL for Devante Smith-Pelly

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wasn't that goal misplayed by the goalie? If he didn't show enough in practice to play over Tootoo or Gio then he didn't deserve to play. Just let yourself be happy. We turned him into a useful RW.

It was the weakest goal our team has scored all year. It was so bad, there isn't even a video of the goal on youtube. All you can find of it is the game highlights video.

I can't even find a video of the highlights right now.:laugh:

The goal was so weak, Neuvirth looked like he felt bad for him and just let it on purpose.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
What if Smith-Pelley is a top 6 RW? It's kind of been dismissed and his last few games have been disregarded as fluky but seriously, what if he can be a 20-25 guy. His shooting % is laughable but what if he produces at a .5 ppg pace? That's not out of the question to me. He crashes the net and does a great job. He's not rifling shots past the goalie, he's scoring dirty goals but that's sustainable more than getting lucky with puck luck because you can always crash the net.

I kind of just dismissed it as well, but I'm not going to count out the possibility that DSP could potentially be a top 6 RW for us. He has the potential to do so. I know he's struggled but he's still only 23.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
And again, what Matteau is as a player is completely irrelevant to my point.

I am not sure why this is such a hard concept to grasp, we traded a former 1st rounder for a guy who was literally one step away from being available for free this summer after Montreal most likely walked away from resigning him.

You cannot come to any other conclusion than piss poor asset management.

A pick for Matteau would've been much more advantageous for New Jersey OR giving up a low pick for Pelly would've been better for us as well...but throwing away an undeveloped former 1st round asset for what really is the type of player you can pick up for nothing is just bad management...

Players like a Bernier, like a Carter, like a Kalinin, like a Tootoo...Or like a Dale Weiss or a Chris Stewart this summer --- Or like a Stempniak... Free, no cost at all, None whatsoever. Pelly was one step away from that with Montreal.

Now if All Matteau was worth on the open market was 6th round pick, the value of giving him an opportuuntiy here has to be worth more than that...

And if all Matteau was worth on the open market was 6th round pick, we should've paid that for Pelly...Any way you want to slice it, it is poor asset management.

I see what you mean by this, and admittedly I never thought about it this way.

However, I think you're seriously overestimating the value of Matteau in this. Matteau has a lot of limitations right now with where he is at in his development and the fact that he has to go through waivers. Also, just about every other NHL team has a prospect like Matteau, most of which can go through waivers. I don't think there was really much of a market for Matteau. Maybe this team could've gotten DSP if Montreal didn't qualify him. However, that's a big if. Even then, there's no guarantee he comes to the Devils. To go further, the Devils would likely still be stuck with Matteau, maybe they get a mid-round pick from an organization who likes him as a player.

However, what this accomplished was at the very least flipping Matteau for a similar player at a position of need. I don't think even Shero saw this type of breakout, but regardless, at the very least Smith-Pelley would've settled in at 4RW.

And with 1 measly goal, he had a better Points/60 5v5 than almost every single bottom 6 player that has played this season.

The difference is Matteau didn't really offer anything more than those guys, which is really saying something. I've yet to find someone who has given me something Matteau has done that has been better than anyone else in the bottom-six.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
What if Smith-Pelley is a top 6 RW? It's kind of been dismissed and his last few games have been disregarded as fluky but seriously, what if he can be a 20-25 guy. His shooting % is laughable but what if he produces at a .5 ppg pace? That's not out of the question to me. He crashes the net and does a great job. He's not rifling shots past the goalie, he's scoring dirty goals but that's sustainable more than getting lucky with puck luck because you can always crash the net.

I kind of just dismissed it as well, but I'm not going to count out the possibility that DSP could potentially be a top 6 RW for us. He has the potential to do so. I know he's struggled but he's still only 23.

I imagine he would have to be playing on a line with high quality players and be there more because of fit or chemistry. It is far more likely he becomes a solid bottom 6 contributor who can move up and down the lineup (Clarkson in his time here is a good comparable IMO - not saying he scores 30 goals...).

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The difference is Matteau didn't really offer anything more than those guys, which is really saying something. I've yet to find someone who has given me something Matteau has done that has been better than anyone else in the bottom-six.

He actually did though. He produced more shots per 60 and hits than just about anyone in the bottom 6 with his extremely limited time.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
It was the weakest goal our team has scored all year. It was so bad, there isn't even a video of the goal on youtube. All you can find of it is the game highlights video.

I can't even find a video of the highlights right now.:laugh:

The goal was so weak, Neuvirth looked like he felt bad for him and just let it on purpose.

I think he did and owed Stef a favor.

I hate to rag on Stef but he was simply a mistake by Lou Conte.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He actually did though. He produced more shots per 60 and hits than just about anyone in the bottom 6 with his extremely limited time.

Yes he did outperform them in some areas, but he was also the only one we were going to be able to trade for an upgrade. Matteau quite possibly was a bad pick from the start, and was definitely mishandled here by the previous regime, but Shero capitalized on a player that didn't fit the organization and was clearly not looked favorably upon. It was much better asset management than keeping him, letting his value continue to degrade here, and probably waiving him and losing him for free, sending him to the AHL, or just letting him go. He was definitely on track to have one of those things happen.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Man I really wanted a part two though.

Just to update ''Did Stefan Matteau score a goal today?''.

But It would probably need to get to like part 6 before that happens.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Well if there isn't going to be a part 2 I'll leave this here.

333_zpsxaz4jxx2.gif

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Well if there isn't going to be a part 2 I'll leave this here.

333_zpsxaz4jxx2.gif

Damn you DSP! You didn't score any points tonight!

You cost us the amazing Stefan Matteau, you 4th line bum!:sarcasm:

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why are we threatening to shut down the most active thread going?

Active in this case = same old *****ing and arguing about things that have been debated twenty times over and the same thread bumps to tweak one side or the other. What's the point? All the arguments have been pretty hashed out at this point. It's not even going to be a relevant topic in the offseason (rapidly approaching) when there are no games to compare and contrast them.

On Montreal's board they have already made it to part 2:D

In their case it's another outlet to ***** about management given how the trade's worked out on their end :laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
His bottom row of teeth are almost identical to mine. He's got that crooked tooth in the front and the perfect set on top, aside from the one that's missing.

Hard to tell if any of these guys actually have their real teeth still, or if they're all fakes or implants.

I'd trade him teeth if he didn't have that missing one, his teeth are a lot nicer looking and not discolored like mine kind of are.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
His bottom row of teeth are almost identical to mine. He's got that crooked tooth in the front and the perfect set on top, aside from the one that's missing.

Hard to tell if any of these guys actually have their real teeth still, or if they're all fakes or implants.

I'd trade him teeth if he didn't have that missing one, his teeth are a lot nicer looking and not discolored like mine kind of are.

I have the same tooth that's been knocked out or failing all the time as him lol. I was hit by a car years ago and lost my two front teeth. I had caps done but that one has been knocked out so many freaking times over the years. A few times playing hockey and a few from getting in non hockey related scraps and stupid **** over the years. it's really just a big pain in the ass getting it worked on. I could yank the temporary out right now and look like him haha.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
On Montreal's board they have already made it to part 2:D

Well that thread has fallen into bashing management while also bashing Matts.

Debate is over here. Jim is doing an admirable job being the lone hold out but the debate has run its course.

I seriously almost locked it when Glen gave up, but figured let it either fill or fall.

See we aren't so bad!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad