Matt Whochene

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
God no! I never want to see him in an Avs jersey again. It took way too long to finally get him out of Colorado, let's not bring him back. He's probably one of the most overrated players in the league. I liked him (a lot actually) in his first two or three seasons and quickly got sick of him afterwards.

You don't want a free asset?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wouldn't want to bring Dutchy back any time soon just because of the way MacK has really taken ownership of this team since finding out that the trade was happening; but I'd be happy to see Duchene sign a 1 day contract to retire as an av if the CBA at that time allows for that. Here's a post I made on the avs board recently about MacK's ascension:
Didn't know where to put this but I took a look at MacK's gamelogs and it's crazy the way things line up with the duchene trade...and the rumoured knowledge in the locker-room that the trade was almost done a week or two prior to the trade actually happening.

Looking at MacK's pointless games he had 6 in 14 games pre trade...with 4 multi-point games, all coming in the 4 games preceding the trade; during that 10 day window that the players supposedly already knew it was happening...1 pointless game in 2 they played in Sweden right after the trade, and only 3 in the 12 games they've played since getting back from Sweden (5 multi-point games). All of MacK's multi point games have come since the players supposedly found out and he's producing with much more regularity. It really seems like getting to "be the man" for this team is jiving with MacK right now. If he keeps playing like this...even if the production cools off some...we've got a legit franchise player on our hands; not just a top line star.

His totals now coming out to 28 points in the 19 games since the players supposedly found out that a Duchene deal was nigh; with only 5 points in the 10 games before that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
He's playing the Sabres tonight, we're notorious for getting players/teams back on track. He'll be fine.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
He's playing the Sabres tonight, we're notorious for getting players/teams back on track. He'll be fine.

He's probably been Ottawa's best forward these last few games so hopefully that can continue and he's rewarded with better production now.

I'm not too sure he'll break out against Buffalo, though. If Lehner's playing, he has our number- 4-0-2 with a 1.30 GAA and a .959 sv% against Ottawa.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
Eh I have met him a few times and each time he has been a tosser. Snivelling around with 3 top buttons undone trying to flaunt some humorously large thug-esk gold chain. Total Ned Flanders.

Tell us all about thugs and gold chains.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Ottawa is flat and boring. Doesn't really compare to Denver, especially if you love the outdoors. It's too bad my company has a branch there, those business trips are the worst.

It's well known that Duchene loves Colorado. He will probably end up retiring here.

Lol how good cities are are based on how tall the mountains are?

"Ottawa is flat and boring" lmao wtf?

What a weird statement.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ottawa made a trade for the sake of making one, thinking they were getting a "buy low" asset and got completely fooled. They didn't need to make the trade they did for what they gave up.

Turris has 13 points in 14 games with Nashville.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa made a trade for the sake of making one, thinking they were getting a "buy low" asset and got completely fooled. They didn't need to make the trade they did for what they gave up.

I'm willing to bet that Duchene would have more points on Nashville than Turris would on Ottawa.

Reactions: Arnusson

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm willing to bet Turris would have more points for Ottawa than Duchene.

Meh, we're a pretty bad team right now.

It's probable I guess, given how much Duchene has been snakebit.

But no one is scoring on this team. I find it hard to believe that Turris would be lighting it up.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017

I think duchene is a much better player than turris. I think EVENTUALLY we will see that. I don't think this actually has much to do with turris at all.

but turris or duchene at their best would not save this team.

time to face that it's rebuild time. if the goal is to compete for a playoff spot then it's possible in future seasons with some go9d management. if the goal is to compete for a cup it's never gonna happen with the current core.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Fact=Denver has more outdoors

More mountains* , yes.

Who has more parks or rivers and lakes around the city?

I have a cottage 30 mins from downtown Ottawa on a km long nice Sandy beach with a bunch of cottages where we go every weekend in the summer seadooing, playing beach volleyball, drinking beers on the sand by the bonfire. Big beach parties every weekend. A lot easier to do that in Ottawa than Denver. Denver is better than Ottawa if you like skiing or climbing mountains, but Ottawa beats Denver for watersports just as easily. Speedboating, waterskiing, tubing, jetskiing, fishing, etc is way better here. Half the people I know also own a cottage with a boat. Being so close to cottage country is a plus for Ottawa.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
More mountains* , yes.

Who has more parks or rivers and lakes around the city?

I have a cottage 30 mins from downtown Ottawa on a km long nice Sandy beach with a bunch of cottages where we go every weekend in the summer seadooing, playing beach volleyball, drinking beers on the sand by the bonfire. Big beach parties every weekend. A lot easier to do that in Ottawa than Denver. Denver is better than Ottawa if you like skiing or climbing mountains, but Ottawa beats Denver for watersports just as easily. Speedboating, waterskiing, tubing, jetskiing, fishing, etc is way better here. Half the people I know also own a cottage with a boat. Being so close to cottage country is a plus for Ottawa.

It was a joke, the Ottawa region is jam packed with outdoor activities at every time of year, similar to Denver we live in a city directly surrounded by mountains forests and many waterways.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa should also trade for ROR because as far as I can remember, Duchene only had chemistry and put up good numbers when playing with ROR on the same line.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Speaking as a huge Matty Duchene fan...

1. He was never gonna be a massive upgrade on Kyle Turris. Better offensively but definitely not better defensively. Under the right circumstances I could see him being exactly the guy they traded for. These are not the right circumstances.

2. He's not your typical scoring-line center. Just like Patrick Kane is a winger who plays a lot like a center, Duchene is a center who plays a lot like a winger. In fact he had his best goal-scoring season playing RW alongside MacKinnon and Landeskog.

3. The Sens are a bad team, buoyed by great goaltending last year and a generational talent on defense who more or less has carried the team on his back (and his ankles) for years. They've only made themselves demonstrably worse over the years by acquiring albatrosses in Phaneuf and Ryan.

4. This Sens team has no identity. These guys live and die on the dynamic offense generated by one player. They went out and got quite possibly the stingiest defensive coach the league has ever seen. This was never going to work long-term. Dorion more or less panicked and went for the quick-fix guy. That's what happens with quick-fix guys (see: Wilson, Ron). They get big results early but wear out their welcome very quickly.

5. Eugene Melnyk is a pox on the hockey landscape. The sooner he is gone from the NHL the better.

I feel kinda bad for #9 (screw that weird number he's wearing now) but I also have to admit this is exactly the deal and the destination he asked for. He obviously didn't know what he was getting into but that's not on the Avs. They fulfilled his request and got a whole lotta good assets in return. I'm sad he's gone and that the team failed to build around him but what's done is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad