Matt Whochene

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think Ottawa should have made it. Duchene is trending downwards over his last 12 months of hockey. It's clear to most Avs fans he's lost a step in his speed which was a huge factor that made him so good.

He and Turris were very comparable players. I'm not sure they actually upgraded at all, other then getting at least one more year out of Duchene before he maybe tests free agency.

Hammond and the 3rd are minor pieces to lose, but they are assets and you cant just be throwing around assets like it's nothing. Doing things like that is what can get a team into serious trouble down the road. It's exactly what happened to the Avs a decade ago.

And then they gave up essentially 2 1st rounders as well. One in a deep draft where the pick could end up being as high as a Top 11-15 range pick(Doubtful but it's possible). The other is Bowers who was taken in the first round last year. He's not a home-run prospect per se, but he is a good young player that has a lot of value to any team in the league. He's generally considered to have a very high floor of a 3C in the NHL, with a potential ceiling of being an effective two-way Top 6 Center.

All of that added on for what was maybe a marginal upgrade at Center. I mean if Ottawa ends up winning the cup either this year or next year you cant really look at the trade as a bad one for them. But they gave up a lot of future assets for a very slight upgrade.

I'm not usually one to pump my own tires very often, but I said this immediately after the trade in another thread, before Duchene had even played a game with the Sens.

The writing was on the wall from his time here in Denver. He's just not the same player he once was but in Ottawa he's being asked to do even more then what he was asked to do in Colorado, something he already struggled with.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
M A T T W H O C H E N E
A
T
T
W
H
O
C
E
N
E

Matty: "Oh you did not just post that"
4eaf3f60d4ba572fe531476e88c77f77--hockey-pictures-colorado-avalanche.jpg

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
He's nowhere near the player he used to be but I'm surprised he has bombed so hard in Ottawa.

This seems to be a case of the grass being greener on the other side for both Duchene and Ottawa.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He's nowhere near the player he used to be but I'm surprised he has bombed so hard in Ottawa.

This seems to be a case of the grass being greener on the other side for both Duchene and Ottawa.

I honestly think Duchene just wanted a change of scenery in general. If I was in his position, just going from Denver to Ottawa would make me happier (Denver is a nice city, but Ottawa is a fantastic city).

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
I know there's no such thing as libel on the internet but the way you can just casually toss out claims like that here is pretty sad.

Eh I have met him a few times and each time he has been a tosser. Snivelling around with 3 top buttons undone trying to flaunt some humorously large thug-esk gold chain. Total Ned Flanders.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt he expected to be dealt to Ottawa. He probably thought he was going to a contender. Probably feeling the let down.

Reactions: Iceman

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
When Duchene was drafted wasn't he highly touted because he was a great leader and surefire captain material? Haven't seen anything in his career so far that indicates any of this was true.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Duchene was never good.

No, he was good. Not for a little while though. I think he's over-complicated everything in his head, he just skates around in circles when he gets the puck sometimes. I can't remember the last time I saw him make a nice simple play come to think of it.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
He was very good in the Juniors, then got thrown to the wolves with a bad team and bad coaching. Never recovered. But he's not old by any means. Odds are against him.

tohaa

Apr 23, 2012
I honestly think Duchene just wanted a change of scenery in general. If I was in his position, just going from Denver to Ottawa would make me happier (Denver is a nice city, but Ottawa is a fantastic city).

If Ottawa is "fantastic" compared to Denver, then just how awful is Denver?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He has incredible individual skills and skating ability....but mediocre hockey IQ and vision. The razzle dazzle doesn't get you very far when you don't have solid players setting you up all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad