Signing(s): Matt Rhule to Panthers (Joe Brady named OC)

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Don't watch enough Baylor too really have an opinion on the higher itself, but holy shit that's a big (and long) deal to give to a 1st time head coach.

(That's what she said)

Last edited:

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Is the strength of college coaches partly in their ability to recruit. And so by extension, their ability to judge talent. It kind of makes their job a hybrid, part coach, part GM

He will be simply a coach in the Pros, will he succeed?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
That seems like a big overpay for a first time NFL head coach with relatively limited NCAA head coaching experience.

Panthers better hope he's the next big deal.

Yea, he could very easily be Chip Kelly 2.0

Is the strength of college coaches partly in their ability to recruit. And so by extension, their ability to judge talent. It kind of makes their job a hybrid, part coach, part GM

He will be de facto GM. You don't give a guy that much to solely be head coach.

Look at Oakland, Gruden has final say and hand picked the GM.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I think what you learn from a college head coach is their quality as a CEO. Running a college program is a big job. Even while planning for your game on Saturday, you're worried about recruiting for next year, having to get money from boosters, working on media appearances, and making sure your top players get paid without the NCAA finding out. It's a big job.

Reactions: member 51464

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
Yea, he could very easily be Chip Kelly 2.0

He will be de facto GM. You don't give a guy that much to solely be head coach.

Look at Oakland, Gruden has final say and hand picked the GM.

Do I assume that the present GM is as good as gone. And will a Mike Mayock be around the corner?

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
I think what you learn from a college head coach is their quality as a CEO. Running a college program is a big job. Even while planning for your game on Saturday, you're worried about recruiting for next year, having to get money from boosters, working on media appearances, and making sure your top players get paid without the NCAA finding out. It's a big job.

I am with you..but, now you go to being purely a coach. So, as varied a responsibility as you once had, now it is coaching. No control over personnel, no control over other aspects of the organization. So, if you are unhappy with something..no change. I wish him luck.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Do I assume that the present GM is as good as gone. And will a Mike Mayock be around the corner?

Hurney was only brought in because Gettleman was fired right as the sexual assault & racial stuff came out about Richardson and nobody wanted to take the job as a result. Plus Richardson was going to sell the team, so there was a chance whoever they hired could just get fired a few months later by the new owner.

Basically, he was a familiar face & name & a quick fix.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Hurney is a borderline genius when it comes to first round picks but that's about it as far his GMing skills go.

As for Rhule's contract, it's certainly a lot of money, too much maybe but I'm not paying it and our owner is filthy rich. I'm just glad we didn't go for a stale retread. I wanted us to take a chance on a guy whether it's a great college coach or up and coming young coach.

Reactions: SnS

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Be Interesting what Rhule decides to do with Cam Newton. He's under contract for 1 more season.

But, if you are on a 7 year deal, would you rather just make the change now assuming there is a QB that you like in the draft (either in the top 10) or if you can trade Newton for a 2nd and then package that pick along with your own 2nd to get back into the first round to grab a QB in the 20's depending on how the board is shaping up for a Love/Eason.

Doesn't seem to make much sense to come in and go with Cam for the upcoming season, unless you're ready to move off him or are playing him ahead of a kid that you want to redshirt for the season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He won at freakin Temple and brought Baylor back from a major scandal. The guy is a good coach.
And he's a builder. Which means the Panthers are likely to tear this down and I would presume Newton is gone.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And he's a builder. Which means the Panthers are likely to tear this down and I would presume Newton is gone.
Doesn’t make sense to keep cam and possibly move off him in the future given that a new coach has a grace period when he starts. So take that now with a new QBS rather than make a change to the most important position 3 years into your tenure when people are expecting playoff success.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Panthers can cut Newton and suffer only a $2 million cap hit in 2020. He’s gone. He was gone no matter who was hired as coach.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
The Panthers can cut Newton and suffer only a $2 million cap hit in 2020. He’s gone. He was gone no matter who was hired as coach.

Who plays Quarterback? Allen started hot and fizzled big time. He may rebound under a new coach. The team is picking 7th, the 3 quarterbacks highly rated, are expected to go before them..Granted they could deal.

there is not a team sport on earth, that is as dependent on one position as football on a quarterback.

If Carolina do not handle this well, they could be in for a few years of trouble. The team has been lucky, even though they have gone up and down in the standings over the years. They have had decent Quarterbacks. Do they want to push their luck.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
He won at freakin Temple and brought Baylor back from a major scandal. The guy is a good coach.

He's done a great job, no question.

But I feel like there's always a coach or two like this on the market every year who's the hot name because they've had success at lesser schools. Sometimes those guys are the real deal and win wherever they go and sometimes they get to the next level (big conference or NFL) and flame out. I've got no issue with the hire itself, but the compensation is pretty crazy. But hey, it's not my money.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
Who plays Quarterback? Allen started hot and fizzled big time. He may rebound under a new coach. The team is picking 7th, the 3 quarterbacks highly rated, are expected to go before them..Granted they could deal.

there is not a team sport on earth, that is as dependent on one position as football on a quarterback.

If Carolina do not handle this well, they could be in for a few years of trouble. The team has been lucky, even though they have gone up and down in the standings over the years. They have had decent Quarterbacks. Do they want to push their luck.

Free agency and grab a QB later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Even if they opt to bring cam back while sitting a QB that they just drafted, I don’t see Cam getting a contract extension with Carolina.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
yeah who needs a possible franchise QB at helm when you can throw in a backup and suck ass for sure...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Saw a valid concern here between Rhule and his coordinators, very little NFL experience.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Their lack of experience doesn't matter too much as they won't be expected to win the first 1-2 years given the dumpster fire of a roster they're inheriting.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
yeah who needs a possible franchise QB at helm when you can throw in a backup and suck ass for sure...
Probably going to see them do a rebuild of the team. Lost their 2 Leaders on D the past 2 years in Davis and Keuchly. Olsen getting close to calling it a career. Could do it this off-season. He seems destined for a career in broadcasting.

Cam has taken a lot of punishment over the years. He might be retained for the upcoming season, but don't envision he's getting another contract from the team.

Conceivably, they could be in the running for Lawrence/Fields in the 2021 draft depending on what they opt to do a the QB position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad