Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Both Wilson and Dylan have been trying to get Rempe to drop the gloves. I'm glad Matt has declined. Wilson may not be the most feared fighter but he is strong as an OX and can handle himself. Matt having hung in and survived previous bouts doesn't mean we should risk him unless needed imo. Matt took a lot of punches in a short amount of time. I do not want him to get rocked to the point that the lights start going out fast. He is a good kid. I would like him to learn how to defend himself over the summer so he can fight with less risk. Eating too many punches should not be the goal. Yes Matt fought Dylan and Matt lost to Dylan. Right now there is no reason for that to be repeated. Matt is doing a good job playing hockey and turning down fights.
Wilson wants no part of anyone who can fight. I’ll believe he’ll fight Rempe when I see it happen. If anything he’s trying to goad Rempe into taking a penalty, maybe dropping his gloves while Wilson does not.
Dylan is fearless and in game 1 tried to goad Rempe into an actual fight. Rempe laughed and skated away. It was the right move. The fight with Dylan at the beginning of LAST season, Nov of 22 I believe, when Matt had way less experience and was even less physically mature and weaker at EVERYTHING, was a draw at worst.
No one wants to see Rempe get hurt. That doesn’t mean he should not fight when appropriate. And he’s no more likely to get hurt than any other heavyweight. And less likely than a lot of them. I’m not sure if anyone else has been banging the drum for Matt to fight all the time, but I have not. Strategic, results oriented fights, or in defense of a teammate, sure, but he doesn’t need to indiscriminately get in fights.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Wilson wants no part of anyone who can fight. I’ll believe he’ll fight Rempe when I see it happen. If anything he’s trying to goad Rempe into taking a penalty, maybe dropping his gloves while Wilson does not.
Dylan is fearless and in game 1 tried to goad Rempe into an actual fight. Rempe laughed and skated away. It was the right move. The fight with Dylan at the beginning of LAST season, Nov of 22 I believe, when Matt had way less experience and was even less physically mature and weaker at EVERYTHING, was a draw at worst.
No one wants to see Rempe get hurt. That doesn’t mean he should not fight when appropriate. And he’s no more likely to get hurt than any other heavyweight. And less likely than a lot of them. I’m not sure if anyone else has been banging the drum for Matt to fight all the time, but I have not. Strategic, results oriented fights, or in defense of a teammate, sure, but he doesn’t need to indiscriminately get in fights.
Wilson has probably had around 100 NHL fights. I do not think he is scared to fight Matt at all. I think he sees a tall big name young kid (who is not built at 21) and would like a chance at him. I'm not saying Matt can not fight. I just prefer he does not fight unless necessary until he learns to defend himself better. I worried about his head safety when he took a lot of blows in a short time. I think he can be an asset in ways other than fighting. I'm just looking out for the kid.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I thought it was partly a punch to the side of Matts face that took Matt down. It was a fairly close fight but at the end Matt took some hard blows. I thought Dylan won. What I liked is Dylan tried to protect Matts head from hitting the ice. I like respect between fighters.
It looked to me that McIlrath didn’t like getting hit so he threw him down. He’s always been tough but I’ve been underwhelmed by his fighting going back to his time here. Never opens up and throws.

Rempe will get better technically but the added strength from getting older is going to be a huge difference. And a problem for the rest of the league

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Wilson has probably had around 100 NHL fights. I do not think he is scared to fight Matt at all. I think he sees a tall big name young kid (who is not built at 21) and would like a chance at him. I'm not saying Matt can not fight. I just prefer he does not fight unless necessary until he learns to defend himself better. I worried about his head safety when he took a lot of blows in a short time. I think he can be an asset in ways other than fighting. I'm just looking out for the kid.
He saw this young kid go toe to toe with four guys this season that HE wants zero part of… and give as good as he got for the most part. I’ll say it again: Wilson won’t fight Rempe unless he has to or snaps and jumps him or has some other advantage he can exploit. Until I see otherwise nothing is going to change my mind. Wilson doesn’t want anyone who he doesn’t think he can dominate.
I also prefer Matt doesn’t fight unless it’s necessary. We are in agreement there. I don’t care if he never has another fight in his career as long as he keeps up his hitting and works on the rest of his game.

Reactions: egelband

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I didn't think the hit was that late. You see that go uncalled as often you see it called.

The problem is, Rempe is under the microscope. No one is giving him the benefit of the doubt and they may even be outright targeting him in an effort to head off anything getting out of control.

So he needs to either learn to temper his aggression or he can't play, because it's a liability. Unfair as that may be.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I didn't think the hit was that late. You see that go uncalled as often you see it called.

The problem is, Rempe is under the microscope. No one is giving him the benefit of the doubt and they may even be outright targeting him in an effort to head off anything getting out of control.

So he needs to either learn to temper his aggression or he can't play, because it's a liability. Unfair as that may be.

And that's absolutely ridiculous. The refs should be calling the slightest bit of retaliatory garbage from his hits if they want to cut off things getting out of control, not penalizing his legal hits.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I just saw a replay of that hit on the caps defenseman. Holy crap. That was devastating. Truly devastating. I can understand why wsh is upset. I mean, there are a few guys on that team who deserve it but not that guy. Considering how wsh has been going after Mika and Bread, though, I have less sympathy. Wsh absolutely wanted this to be a street fight rather than a hockey match and I think they’ve so far taken the brunt of it.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Lavy and coaches need to address the Rempe problem. If refs won’t let him hit people, he can’t play in any series moving forward. Behind the scenes they need to be asking if these plays are actually penalties. If not, the refs need to be informed of how to properly call him. If so, Chytil/Brod starting in a potential round 2. Sucks, but we won’t play power plays as pathetic as the Caps moving forward.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Lavy and coaches need to address the Rempe problem. If refs won’t let him hit people, he can’t play in any series moving forward. Behind the scenes they need to be asking if these plays are actually penalties. If not, the refs need to be informed of how to properly call him. If so, Chytil/Brod starting in a potential round 2. Sucks, but we won’t play power plays as pathetic as the Caps moving forward.
im fine with the minor. will be better in the long run avoiding any sanctions etc

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Obviously I’ve been a big Rempe supporter here. However, I don’t see Carolina handling this bottom six:

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Canes fans are going to become the whiniest bunch ever if he does this to one of their defensemen.

Some of them are already getting themselves warmed up for it.
The thought of him knocking out Slavin for a series makes me salivate.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The thought of him knocking out Slavin for a series makes me salivate.

He doesn’t even have to knock people out of the game.

Just hit them enough that they get spooked any time someone is within 5 feet of them and make them turn it over.

The only guy I’d love to see get smoked on that team is Aho. f*** that guy.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
He doesn’t even have to knock people out of the game.

Just hit them enough that they get spooked any time someone is within 5 feet of them and make them turn it over.

The only guy I’d love to see get smoked on that team is Aho. f*** that guy.
the only guy i wouldn't love to see get smoked on that team is our dear Quickie. and he's already injured, so let him at em!!

canes fans are used to canes hockey, which is subtly dirty but not overly physical. to their eyes, any rempe hit will look like 5 and 3 games. let alone any actual illegal hit he might throw.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Kreider -- Zibanejad -- Chytil
Panarin -- Trocheck -- Lafreniere
Cuylle -- Wennberg -- Kakko
Vesey -- Goodrow -- Rempe

I don't want Lavi backing down. Team is 17-2-1 with him in lineup. The team needs the energy and fight he brings. Canes are small and fast but the Rangers have more than enough speed. Canes do not have a guy that can neutralize Rempe. He will do a number over a series on Carolina's defense. We see it every night, d-men are petrified when he's coming. You don't think the Canes saw that hit last night? They already know.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Obviously I’ve been a big Rempe supporter here. However, I don’t see Carolina handling this bottom six:

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Goodrow-Wennberg-Vesey
I’ve also been on team Rempe since his early Hartford days but for the Carolina series if Wennberg isn’t fit and Chytil is then I’d go with:

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Edstrom - Goodrow- Vesey

Carolina is not a team that takes liberties except for A-ho and there are enough Rangers in the lineup who can keep him in check.
For me, Edstrom is sound defensively, can lay hits, good on the forecheck and is more than willing to stand in front of the Carolina net.Seems like the better choice over Rempe against a team like the Canes.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
I’ve also been on team Rempe since his early Hartford days but for the Carolina series if Wennberg isn’t fit and Chytil is then I’d go with:

Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Edstrom - Goodrow- Vesey

Carolina is not a team that takes liberties except for A-ho and there are enough Rangers in the lineup who can keep him in check.
For me, Edstrom is sound defensively, can lay hits, good on the forecheck and is more than willing to stand in front of the Carolina net.Seems like the better choice over Rempe against a team like the Canes.
No shot Edstrom plays over Brodzinski or Rempe.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
No shot Edstrom plays over Brodzinski or Rempe.
Brodzinski is an AHL player. The only reasons he stayed up with the team was because his cap hit was lower than Edstom, Adam would be able to get more minutes in Hartford than being in an out of the Rangers lineup on the 4th line and Edstom was waiver exempt.
The only thing Brodzinski brings in speed. Terrible defensively. Offensively he carries the puck over the opposing teams blue line and shoots the puck into their goalie. Doesn’t look to pass. Many of his assists are secondary. Doesn’t drive the middle and won’t hold onto the puck if he fears a hit.
The exact opposite of a playoff player.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Brodzinski is an AHL player. The only reason he stayed up with the team was because his cap hit was lower than Edstom, Adam would be able to get more minutes in Hartford than being in an out of the Rangers lineup on the 4th line and Edstom was waiver exempt.
The only thing Brodzinski brings in speed. Terrible defensively. Offensively he carries the puck over the opposing teams blue line and shoots the puck into their goalie. Doesn’t look to pass. Many of his assists are secondary. Doesn’t drive the middle and won’t hold onto the puck if he fears a hit.
The exact opposite of a playoff player.

He's graded out pretty well defensively but that may be influenced a bit by playing with Kakko and Cuylle who are legitimately good defensive players.

Reactions: JDF and bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad