Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I still have doubts about an NHL future for him but, purely from visuals, he was significantly better last night than on Sunday in his limited minutes. He actually showed some good forecheck and laid a ton of heavy hits. He rightfully got his icetime cut by the end but idk........I have doubted him his whole career and he keeps trucking. Interesting player.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
A few of the hits he threw last night sounded different. Thunderous. There's a place for him in the league being a version of Reaves who can actually skate the puck up ice.
This is key for me. He can skate, even for a big man he's actually pretty fast even though his edges are definitely not there yet. The AHL is obviously a slower league and he looked slower down there but some of his movement at the NHL level has been good. That's the key to him being a regular, needs to be able to skate in addition to all the physical tomfoolery and heavy forecheck work.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
When he dumps the puck in the forward closest has to skate over and try to slow him down so he doesn't crush the D trying to retrieve the puck from the boards! We haven't had this in forever.
Reevo tried but had lost a cpl steps.
yes it was evident last night that Rempe strikes legit fear into defensemen that he's bearing down on. that is absolutely a skill and a valuable one at that.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Wishing I had some hockey coaching knowledge to give a better opinion.
Here’s my take.
Vesey is a better 4th line option and Belzile is a better top 6 option than Rempe.
By starting Rempe this might cause the opposing coach to dress a player with less skill to counteract Matt.
Don’t believe Rempe hurts the team defensively. Skates his lane and as mentioned above causes the opposing team to move the puck less strategically then they would have in their d-zone. Gives the Rangers a more physical player of which they definitely need. Willing to stand net front. Has reach.
Can take face offs.
Rempe is only 21. Under normal situations it would be best if he was getting more minutes in the AHL than playing 4th line/13th forward here but Matt Rempe was playing 4th line minutes in Hartford with leftover and ECHL line mates so unless there is a plan for him to go down and play on the 3rd line he might as well keep him up.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He was getting in on the forecheck in the 1st and laying some massive hits. That wears thin in a 7 game series. Suter didn't play the puck on one of them because he saw him coming

We got away from running 4 lines after all the special teams... but the 3rd and 4th line can be effective forechecking lines. That's very important moving forward

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I saw him at one point pull away from a back-checker in the first period. The kid has wheels. He and Edstrom are not just good skaters for their size, they're good skaters

Here it is

That is impressive. I'm a fan so far.

What I like is that Rempe didn't take himself out of position to go make big hits, he made them as part of an aggressive forecheck. That is the toffness that I want to see. People talk about physicality and whatnot and are absolutely fine with players taking themselves out of position just for the sake of making a big hit. No, just no.

Rempe did not do that, at least not what I saw. If he can continue to lay those bone crushing hits while chasing the puck, not the player, he can be a very effective player for us.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I really liked his first few shifts last night, it was fun to see him and Edstrom barreling in and crushing Dallas. I assume he will not stick around past the deadline and will be sent back to the AHL, before that though he should get a bit more playing time.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He was getting in on the forecheck in the 1st and laying some massive hits. That wears thin in a 7 game series. Suter didn't play the puck on one of them because he saw him coming

We got away from running 4 lines after all the special teams... but the 3rd and 4th line can be effective forechecking lines. That's very important moving forward

What's also evident and important is that Edstrom and Rempe, even at their young age, understand that the key to them playing well is keeping the game simple. Get the puck, move the puck to the point, get to the net. Repeat. Not all young guys who come up fully understand that as they have played a more skilled game at lower levels.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Side note, I don't think people fully appreciate how young Rempe is. He's 21, and in his D+4 season. This is the type of guy who, if he went the college route, would likely have gone to the BCHL for a season and then be a Junior of college. He's a full 2 years younger than Edstrom who is at the ripe old age of 23. He's going to improve

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I really liked his first few shifts last night, it was fun to see him and Edstrom barreling in and crushing Dallas. I assume he will not stick around past the deadline and will be sent back to the AHL, before that though he should get a bit more playing time.
agree just to see what else he's got - pretty much no way he's still here past TDL but he's likely making himself a candidate for a full time role as soon as next year. and I can't stress this enough, that's very impressive for someone with his profile.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I still have doubts about an NHL future for him but, purely from visuals, he was significantly better last night than on Sunday in his limited minutes. He actually showed some good forecheck and laid a ton of heavy hits. He rightfully got his icetime cut by the end but idk........I have doubted him his whole career and he keeps trucking. Interesting player.
Hes pretty quick in straight lines for an enormous dude and his reach should help him against smaller quicker players in tighter spaces. He did seem to legitimately hit hard last night. The twin towers on the 4th line are intriguing.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Wheels as a bigger player are a big part of the battle but your stick and senses have to be able to keep up.

Kreider's first couple NHL seasons were made difficult by his really struggling to find the puck underneath his wide stance at high rates of speed. Jayson Chimera never learned how to cycle, and Evgyeni Arthyukhin was an absolute hot mess of a player.

I think Rempe can have an NHL career I just think he's a guy who is max gonna play 8 minutes a game, and not every game.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I saw him at one point pull away from a back-checker in the first period. The kid has wheels. He and Edstrom are not just good skaters for their size, they're good skaters

Here it is

And like most kids from his draft class, he lost important development time during COVID. That's even more relevant for a big (awkward) kid like 18-19 year old him, missing that time working on skating mechanics with a coach. He's not done growing into his body or improving his skating, IMO. I think there's at least some improvement still coming there.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Apparently, Martin approached him and asked him if wanted to go during Sunday's game.

It's silly, but that type of thing could have an effect on Rempe sticking in this league.

It was very cool of Martin to give Rempe an opportunity to make his mark. I always respected him.

It was absolutely a gift by Martin, in the best sense. Like an initiation.

You could see them talk during the fight.

"You can go. Show'em what you got kid!"

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Like the kid
Glad for him
But i liked Mallette too,
and if this attention creates an opportunity for another Mallette turned into Graves, i'd be fine if he's moved at some point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad