Player Discussion Matt Rempe - See Mod Note Post 769

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I think of Brian Boyle and how big and lanky he was and after he improved his skating he became a very good player for the Rangers.

Rempe can become a very good player for the Rangers. Let him play, work with him. There's potential there to be a unique player in the league.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I think I found Matt’s dad

IMG_9867.jpeg

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think of Brian Boyle and how big and lanky he was and after he improved his skating he became a very good player for the Rangers.

Rempe can become a very good player for the Rangers. Let him play, work with him. There's potential there to be a unique player in the league.
That's the thing about him. He isn't some big dude that played college hockey and turned pro at 24 that used to happen in year's past.

This is a 21 year old kid that is playing slightly above his head. He's willing to work. He might do a dumb thing or two, but he's trying to do the right thing.

If he gets going with a skating coach this summer he can be very effective. There is a prototype for his size to work on skating, Tage Thompson. Even if he becomes 50% of Tage at skating, he'll be an NHL player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
does anyone believe rempe can be an effective hockey player?

Yes, I do. And I thought it before he made the NHL this season. The goals and points he puts up are created, at every level, in the same area of the ice. That area is available at the NHL too. Honestly, it may be even moreso as the d-men who generally make it to the NHL are more skilled and less likely to directly engage with him in and around the net.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Yes, I do. And I thought it before he made the NHL this season. The goals and points he puts up are created, at every level, in the same area of the ice. That area is available at the NHL too. Honestly, it may be even moreso as the d-men who generally make it to the NHL are more skilled and less likely to directly engage with him in and around the net.
Also, NHL talent can utilize his net front presence better.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That's the thing about him. He isn't some big dude that played college hockey and turned pro at 24 that used to happen in year's past.

This is a 21 year old kid that is playing slightly above his head. He's willing to work. He might do a dumb thing or two, but he's trying to do the right thing.

If he gets going with a skating coach this summer he can be very effective. There is a prototype for his size to work on skating, Tage Thompson. Even if he becomes 50% of Tage at skating, he'll be an NHL player.
He’s already a very good skater. I want him getting his strength up and working on his balance.

Yoga or Pilates would do wonders for him. Add some strength training in there.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He’s already a very good skater. I want him getting his strength up and working on his balance.

Yoga or Pilates would do wonders for him. Add some strength training in there.
It's more the small area explosiveness that needs to be worked on. His agility is not where he needs it to be in order to be successful as a regular. It may work against slower teams, but when you have teams like Carolina, he is going to stick out because he can't keep up with them in those areas.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
yes, career 4th liner, good for 15-20 points as a pure forechecking and net-front "muck it up" style winger. I'll tell you one thing, he provides more than Reaves did at a much cheaper cost.
Reaves was pretty good in his first season here and then fell off a cliff. Rempe isn't really anywhere near that level atm and the comparisons to Boyle are really off the wall.

Boyle was a first round pick with a good amount of skill. They aren't similar one iota other than both being tall.

Reactions: Harbour Dog and Lua

gabevh3

Oct 13, 2005
yes, career 4th liner, good for 15-20 points as a pure forechecking and net-front "muck it up" style winger. I'll tell you one thing, he provides more than Reaves did at a much cheaper cost.
I would go further and say third line upside

Reactions: AirGut

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The kid needs to understand that his fists aren't what's going to keep him in the league. In fairness, maybe he already does. He needs to be attached at the hip to Kreider. Not only is Kreider a beast in the gym, but he's also the poster boy for how working tirelessly on a singular skill (in his case, delfections/"net hands") can pay huge dividends as you age.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rempe's a fast skater. He has some lateral mobility but he needs to work on that a bit. Getting better at small area skating won't just make him a better player.....it will make him a better fighter and actually the fighting might help improve that. Where your feet are and balance matters in a fight. He's got any number of ex-NHL tough guys to reach out to over the summer if he chooses to. They're lining up.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
He has only played around 80 minutes in 15 games. Hard to judge him as a player. I think he could be a decent 10 goal a season 4th line player if he starts playing 8-10 minutes a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad