Injury Report: Matt Read (torn rib cage muscles) will return to the lineup (tonight) Mar. 7

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
A shallow prospect pool is always a concern but with the shortened season and the Flyers' typical injury woes and players reporting that they are feeling tired already, every new injury is a killer.

Mike2000z28

Dec 13, 2009
Philly, now montreal
I feel like Ottawa now. Man i think they have us beat! haha. We must have the worst injuries to key players. I mean in 20 games it seems at least half our guys have had an injury of some kind.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
Great to hear Reader is still skating with the team though out of breath and in pain afterwards.
I can't wait to see him out there with Gagne!

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Cant imagine the skating hes doing is too stressfull. Ive had an injury to sternum and ribs. Took me several weeks to not be in pain from breathing or even bending over to pick something up. Sleeping sucked as well.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
The sooner he gets back the better. Put him on the third line with Gagne-Couts-Read, we have a deep offense again. Talbot would be regulated to 4th line and PK.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Somewhat surprisingly, Read is in full-contact practice today.

Great news, hope he isn't rushing prematurely though.

The sooner he gets back the better. Put him on the third line with Gagne-Couts-Read, we have a deep offense again. Talbot would be regulated to 4th line and PK.

Yeah that is a great 3rd line, and it is still defensively responsible.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Fedotenko-Talbot-Rinaldo
Knuble

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Frank @ the Daily News just added this, obviously just his opinion...

Sure doesn't look like Matt Read will be out for another 4-5 weeks. He's skating in a regular jersey, participating in cycling drills.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Hope they're not rushing him back.

I experienced bruised ribs in my competitive playing days; it hurts to breathe just sitting on the couch, let alone putting yourself through a physical workout, getting checked or even shooting the puck.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I experienced bruised ribs in my competitive playing days; it hurts to breathe just sitting on the couch, let alone putting yourself through a physical workout, getting checked or even shooting the puck.

I hope they don't rush him either, but there is just something sweet about having Gagne/Couturier/Read as our third line against the Rangers on Tuesday. That kind of offensive depth is the only way they're making the playoffs at this point.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
"Read was dressed in a regular practice jersey and participated in normal cycling drills.

Read, who was expected to miss 4-6 weeks due to the injury, said he is ahead of schedule. He told reporters today after practice that he feels he is 2-3 weeks away from returning to the lineup."

http://flyers.thecheckingline.com/b...ia-flyers/flyers-injury-updates-meszaros-read

Funny, he's been out almost two weeks already; if he's 2-3 weeks away, that looks on schedule to me.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown

And the specific injury they reported makes it sound even worse than just bruised. Torn intercostals sounds like your rib cage is separated in 2 pieces and flapping like a jaw bone. Lol obviously it's nowhere near that bad

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Seravalli:
Matt Read says he could be back "as soon as this weekend," pegged himself at about 80 percent health right now. More: ph.ly/56x2g

:handclap:

Nuclear

Jun 15, 2004
PA
Great news, hope he isn't rushing prematurely though.

Yeah that is a great 3rd line, and it is still defensively responsible.

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-Read
Fedotenko-Talbot-Rinaldo
Knuble

[[/I]

Is Briere the weak link on that second line? Think McGinn would be better on that line than Briere?

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Seravalli:
Matt Read says he could be back "as soon as this weekend," pegged himself at about 80 percent health right now. More: ph.ly/56x2g

:handclap:

Wow..that is pretty surprising....then again Dave Poulin back in the day really shocked people when he played in the playoffs with a flakjacket and in obvious pain and still was effective...

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
It could be this weekend, it could be two weeks from now,” Read said. “I really don’t know. I don’t think it will be another month, though. I just want to take my time and make sure I don’t re-injure myself.”
Yeah, no kidding. For some reason I have a feeling if you asked the medical staff, they'd give the weekend thing about a 0.0000% chance of happening. Enthusiasm's always nice though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
[[/I]

Is Briere the weak link on that second line? Think McGinn would be better on that line than Briere?

McGinn has produced at a much lower rate than Briere. That line already has a grinder in Simmonds, Briere can serve a playmaker role.

As long as he isn't trying to carry the puck in himself, that is. That seems to end in a quick nothing more often than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad