Matt Puempel or Beau Bennett ?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by AidanPhalen13*, Aug 5, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. Who would you rather and why?

2. ESH

ESH Registered User

Matt Puempel was projected to be a top-10 pick this year, before he was injured. I think Bennett is a safer bet, but Puempel has better upside.

3. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Sums it up well. The only thing I would add is that i think Bennett might be 'safe' because he's further along in development right now. By next year it may not even be close, in favor of Puempel.

And apparently Puempel hasn't looked out of step at all so far this summer at WJ camp.

4. Peumpel and its not even close. Bennett not impressing in college.

5. Vaclav Varada

Vaclav Varada CoJo

25 points in 37 games as a freshman isn't bad at all.

6. Musta been looking at someone elses stats by mistake. Oh well, still think Puempel will be better

7. Warm Cookies

Warm Cookies Brennan Izza Gangsta

Bennett went scoreless for his first 6 or 7 games while getting acclimated to the college game, then started producing well, only to get a knee injury halfway through the year.

8. Confound

Confound Vindication

Puempel.

9. Vaclav Varada

Vaclav Varada CoJo

As a Sens fan I go with Puempel mainly because he is the exact type of player we needed to draft.

I really like Bennett though, I think he's gonna be a a real good player.

10. Hanji

Hanji Registered User

Puempel.

11. Hale The Villain

Hale The Villain Registered User

Sens fan saying Bennett

Puempel is the better goal scorer but Bennett has the better offensive skills package. He tore the BCHL a new one in his draft year, and ignoring his first 7 games in the NCAA he put up 25 points in 30 games played as a freshman. His vision is top notch and his hands are fantastic. His upside is huge. Playing alongside an elite level offensive talent like Crosby or Makin could help him develop into a 1st line winger. Honestly I'm not sure he could have went to a better place to maximize his development.

Puempel is great but I think Bennett has a higher ceiling.

12. wej20

wej20 Registered User

If you're just looking at Stats then you probably shouldn't be making comments like that.

13. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    Interesting comparison....bet the Sens would be pretty torn here. I think they were relatively high on both...probably had pretty similar ratings.

14. bruinsfan46

bruinsfan46 Registered User

I'd take Puempel based on the fact that I'm much more familiar with him and I really, really like what I've seen from Puempel. Kid is just a natural goal scorer.

15. Bennett is a dangler/playmaker.. and I like those players more than players like Puempel, so I'll take him. It's pretty close though.

16. Sidney the Kidney

Sidney the Kidney 3-Peat + 1

I'm a bit biased, since I've been a huge fan of Puempel's since his rookie year in Peterborough, and I was ecstatic he was still around when the Pens' pick came up. Pens ended up taking Joe Morrow instead (which is a whole other discussion that I won't get into).

I've seen Puempel play quite a few times, whereas Bennett's pretty much a blank slate for me. So while I probably should steer clear of saying which will be better, I do have to say I think Puempel's going to make teams regret letting him fall as far as he did.

17. brtriad

brtriad Registered User

Student
    Puempel could very well end up the best goal scorer in this draft class. I'll go with him.

18. The Dayvan Cowboy

The Dayvan Cowboy Registered Genius

Not to derail this, but why are all the Penguins fans I see so upset with the Morrow pick? Is it because of the player or the fact you didn't take a winger. I mean, he was who I was hoping for with the Oilers 19th.

19. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

It's the fact he's a defender and not a winger.

I'm not one of those Penguins fans upset with the pick...I'm a firm BPA guy and I don't think anyone could say the Penguins drafted Morrow early...maybe not BPA but certainly picked a couple spots after what his value was expected to be...and as a puck-moving defender he's of the breed that holds some of the highest trade value in the league (see: Goligoski, Alex). Most of us wanted offense...and we'll probably get that...via trade (see: Neal, James).

Anyway, it's a toss-up here. As a Penguins fan I'm going to be biased in favor of Bennett. Puempel is a solid prospect and one I wouldn't have been upset with had the Penguins drafted him, though I just haven't had that great feeling about him that so many others have (I was in the Grimaldi camp).

Bennett is a harder prospect to get a grasp of, since he was in a lesser league pre-draft and his freshman year at Denver was spent mostly working on strength stuff (to the tune of 25 pounds of muscle being added) and less on getting huge ice time. His stats should look nicer this season than last before he intends on going pro...though 25 points as a freshman isn't something anyone should ever be disappointed in.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  20. sergejean

sergejean Registered User

Matt Puempel. Should have been a top 6-8 in this year's draft. Should be a 30 goals scorer in the NHL.

21. ShawnTHW

ShawnTHW @ShawnTHW

I'd take Puempel hands down.

22. AmericanDream

AmericanDream Adopted Canadian

lots of "should" in that post...

I like Puempel a lot, but there is a reason why he fell outside of his injury. didnt light the world on fire like expected, as I thought he would have been more consistent as well.

Goal scorers are more sexier picks then playmakers, so this isnt a fair battle imo. Two different types of players that bring two different styles to the table.

Bennett has a lot of question marks, but after that first 5-7 games, the kid pretty much outplayed most everyone on his team as a true freshman. ask his linemate Nick Shore how hard that is to do at Denver.

Bennett has amazing highend talent, but will likely be a playmaker not a sniper.

Puempel has a scorers touch 100%. The kid is a pure sniper. If he makes it to the NHL it will be on his scoring and not much else. He has question marks as well, but I did have him 4th I belive when I did my early 2011 mock draft. Very high on him.

As I said it depends on what you prefer, goal scoring or playmaking.

23. WADEugottaBELAKthat

WADEugottaBELAKthat Flynt Flossy

I feel as though Puempel, in general, doesn´t get a whole lot of credit for his 16-year old CHL and OHL ROTY award. That´s a difficult one to nab.

Not that that adds to much to THIS debate....

24. Toni Porkka

Toni Porkka Registered User

Research Assistant
  25. WADEugottaBELAKthat

WADEugottaBELAKthat Flynt Flossy