Matt Puempel or Beau Bennett ?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not to derail this, but why are all the Penguins fans I see so upset with the Morrow pick? Is it because of the player or the fact you didn't take a winger. I mean, he was who I was hoping for with the Oilers 19th.

I can't speak for any other Pens fan, but I wouldn't necessarily say I'm "upset" by the pick. More so, just a bit disappointed because of how high I was on Puempel all season, all the while believing he'd be long gone before the Pens had any shot at him, and then to see the Pens pass on him when he fell to them, it kind of added up.

So no, it's not that I think Morrow is a bad pick; from all reports he's a great pick. It's a personal preference thing with me due to my man-crush on Puempel throughout the season.

KingJet*

Puempel because he has the Basics in a good player, But Bennett is good too but I just prefer Puempel.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
Sens fan saying Bennett

Puempel is the better goal scorer but Bennett has the better offensive skills package. He tore the BCHL a new one in his draft year, and ignoring his first 7 games in the NCAA he put up 25 points in 30 games played as a freshman. His vision is top notch and his hands are fantastic. His upside is huge. Playing alongside an elite level offensive talent like Crosby or Makin could help him develop into a 1st line winger. Honestly I'm not sure he could have went to a better place to maximize his development.

Puempel is great but I think Bennett has a higher ceiling.

I actually think the other way arround. I love Bennett and is skill set but he's less skilled then Puemple. I would say Bennett is a safer pick and that he's almost ready for prime time. Also Puemple is more of a project, I believe if he can put everything together then he'll be more of a offensivre threat. But the all round player is gone be Bennett.

4thliner*

Matt Puempel is simple answer due to shear talent and upside. Would have probably gone top 10 had he not played with hip injury that forced him to shutdown mid his draft year. Being on a terrible team also does not help. Despite all that his numbers were still very good and the year before was the CHL rookie of the year.

Last 6 winners

2010–11 Nail Yakupov, Sarnia Sting
2009–10 Matt Puempel, Peterborough Petes
2008–09 Brett Connolly, Prince George Cougars
2007–08 Taylor Hall, Windsor Spitfires
2006–07 Patrick Kane, London Knights
2005–06 John Tavares, Oshawa Generals

4thliner*

lots of "should" in that post...

I like Puempel a lot, but there is a reason why he fell outside of his injury. didnt light the world on fire like expected, as I thought he would have been more consistent as well..

That is because Puempel played with hip injury that bothered him for most of the season till he decided to go under the knife.

Last year this time he was a sure fire top 5 pick in 2011

AidanPhalen13*

That is because Puempel played with hip injury that bothered him for most of the season till he decided to go under the knife.

So was Seth Ambroz and David Musil, big woooooop

Nov 16, 2007
in your head

That doesn't mean much at all. Couturier was the surefire 1st overall pick, Zbad wasn't really on people's radars, etc.

and like the poster above mentioned, look at Ambroz, Musil and Saad.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'd go with Puempal, mainly because I just know more of Beau's worth ethic this summer. My friend is actually dating his brother, Wade, and Beau really hasn't been very committed into much training this summer.

Not knocking him for enjoying his summer or anything, and for all I know Puempal could be doing the same. However, it seems at least half of his week is just hanging around the beach or partying, rather then trying to improve his game.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I'd go with Puempal, mainly because I just know more of Beau's worth ethic this summer. My friend is actually dating his brother, Wade, and Beau really hasn't been very committed into much training this summer.

Not knocking him for enjoying his summer or anything, and for all I know Puempal could be doing the same. However, it seems at least half of his week is just hanging around the beach or partying, rather then trying to improve his game.

He looked in good shape at the rookie camp, he's definitely added muscle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->