Matt O'Connor sweepstakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's fair but there is no way you can argue that new York media /fans scrutinize and prioritize their hockey team like Vancouver does with our. You are under a microscope if you play for the Canucks.

When was the last time new York scrutinized every single mistake their 3rd pairing Dman made like Van is doing w. Sbisa ?

Go see how the Ranger fans/media are treating a similarly ineffective player to Sbisa in Tanner Glass.

A lousy player will take flack anywhere.

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
Go see how the Ranger fans/media are treating a similarly ineffective player to Sbisa in Tanner Glass.

A lousy player will take flack anywhere.

Not to mention that New York actually has a very decent and knowledgable hockey market. But when you stink, fans will let you know, even in Florida.

Phred Phlinstone

Feb 12, 2015
White Rock, BC
Sounds like Canuck fans 3 years ago ;)

TBH, I think the best goalie coach for O'Connor would be Sean Burke. Look at what he did with Dubnyk...

Sean Burke = Benoit Allaire's student while he was resurrecting his career as a Coyote.

True that Sean Burke has developed into arguably one of the best goalie coaches, but why not go direct to the dean?

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
He's prob coming here, competitive ahl team, canucks are the strongest by the time he enters his prime the way tge teams are built today.

Great support from a youthful core(utica)

How can u look at Ny and think theyll have a decent team when that core starts aging.

In van hes got no pressure. In ny hes prettt much the only goalie prospect.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I get the feeling that he wants to sign with us but wants to see how the situation unfolds first. There's no rush for him. I could see the signing happening after the draft. IMO Lack will be traded. Eriksson will go back to Sweden and Markstrom will back up Miller. O'Connor and Cannata will be the AHL goalies. Lack plus our 24th to move up significantly in the draft, or for a late first. Philly, Winnipeg, Toronto, Buffalo or Arizona's second first rounder.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
O'Connor is a total project.

I highly doubt that he is ready to be a NHL back-up at this point. Getting rid of Lack because we got O'Connor would be a giant mistake.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
According to Bob McKenzie, he'll make his decision within 48 hours.

So from "within the week" last Monday, we're now two weeks in, and now it's sometime this weekend. Yeesh.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I get the feeling that he wants to sign with us but wants to see how the situation unfolds first. There's no rush for him. I could see the signing happening after the draft. IMO Lack will be traded. Eriksson will go back to Sweden and Markstrom will back up Miller. O'Connor and Cannata will be the AHL goalies. Lack plus our 24th to move up significantly in the draft, or for a late first. Philly, Winnipeg, Toronto, Buffalo or Arizona's second first rounder.

The only way they will trade Lack is if they get a steal of a deal for him.
Lack has shown he can be a starter and is a fan favourite. Miller has only 2 more years left on his deal. Markstrom hasn't shown anything of note at the NHL level yet.

O'Connor is an unknown at this point. No need to trade Lack because they signed O'Connor.

Markstrom makes the most sense to move.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
And he said he wouldn't stretch it out ahah

At the end of the day, I don't blame him at all; it's a huge decision that will have a monumental impact on his career. I was more amused at the reporters who do their best to provide up to the minute answers for us inquiring minds.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I find it funny the guy who pulled the biggest choke job in NCAA recent memory is getting such star treatment.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
The only way they will trade Lack is if they get a steal of a deal for him.
Lack has shown he can be a starter and is a fan favourite. Miller has only 2 more years left on his deal. Markstrom hasn't shown anything of note at the NHL level yet.

O'Connor is an unknown at this point. No need to trade Lack because they signed O'Connor.

Markstrom makes the most sense to move.

Between Miller, Markstrom, O'Connor and Demko we'd be fine. It's about asset management. Lacks proven to be serviceable but he's also proven he can meltdown. If we can get a late first for him, or use him to move into the top 10 with our first I'd take that in a heart beat. It's either that or lose Markstrom for nothing. I don't see the point in that. In a perfect world we trade Miller, but that's definitely not happening.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Between Miller, Markstrom, O'Connor and Demko we'd be fine. It's about asset management. Lacks proven to be serviceable but he's also proven he can meltdown. If we can get a late first for him, or use him to move into the top 10 with our first I'd take that in a heart beat. It's either that or lose Markstrom for nothing. I don't see the point in that. In a perfect world we trade Miller, but that's definitely not happening.

Lack won't return a 1st rd pick. Let alone be a good enough enticement to get into the top 10 of the draft. Honestly, who in the top 10 would make that trade? Who has a late 1st rd pick that will risk it on Lack at this point?

Why would the Canucks lose Markstrom for nothing? He's a RFA and a trade-able asset. He's playing amazing in the AHL and there is bound to be a team who is willing to part with a 3rd rd pick or prospect for a shot at winning the lottery with Markstrom.

Lack's worth is probably a mid 2nd rd pick, or help the Canucks to move into the mid teens in the 1st rd. Is that worth it? Hard to say, depends on who is available. But even then trading Lack will be hard to sell the fan base and Linden seems to be very sensitive to that.

Also Demko is most likely spending another 2 seasons in college.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
What's your guys predictions if he signs with us?

Trade Miller and roll with Lack/Markstrom and then O'Connor in the AHL?
Trade Lack and go with Miller/Markstrom and O'Connor in the AHL?
Keep Lack/Miller and trade Markstrom, O'Connor in the AHL?

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
What's your guys predictions if he signs with us?

Trade Miller and roll with Lack/Markstrom and then O'Connor in the AHL?
Trade Lack and go with Miller/Markstrom and O'Connor in the AHL?
Keep Lack/Miller and trade Markstrom, O'Connor in the AHL?
Markstrom traded and O'Connor starts in the ahl

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

Proven he can melt down? He hasn't proven he can melt down more than any other goalie. He's proven he can play in tough games night in night out and give the team a chance to win. I loved Luongo but it looks like trading him to run with Lack was the correct decision. Unfortunately, he wasn't given the chance due to the Miller signing and now we're in a tough spot. I'll be thrilled if we can find a way to move Miller to keep Lack and Markstrom up with the Canucks and have O'Connor in Utica, splitting with Cannata.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
I don't see why people are still connecting Markstrom and O'Connor. You do realize that in order for Markstrom to play in the AHL, he has to pass through waivers? And he won't pass through untouched this time. Regardless of whether or not O'Connor comes here, we have to get rid of one of Miller, Lack, or Markstrom. The only effect O'Connor would have is Eriksson leaving, and I won't cry over spilled milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad