Matt O'Connor sweepstakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
CanucksArmy had an article up saying that RDS has reported Edmonton is out of the running. Didn't see the original Tweet, but it wasn't Lavoie that reported it, it was the other guy.

Edmonton beat writers were very quick to call this inaccurate but there has been nothing else supporting their contradiction.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Edmonton beat writers were very quick to call this inaccurate but there has been nothing else supporting their contradiction.

Louis Jean
‏@LouisJean_TVA

Boston College UFA G Matt O'Connor talking to #Senators #Canucks #Rangers. Wants to work with goalie coach that will take him to next level.

I think this is the tweet Canucks Army was talking about. Says nothing about the Oilers being eliminated but what it does say all but does put the Oilers at #4 in that group.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I thought he said he wasn't gonna drag out his decision? Lol how many contract spots do we even have left ?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Louis Jean
‏@LouisJean_TVA

Boston College UFA G Matt O'Connor talking to #Senators #Canucks #Rangers. Wants to work with goalie coach that will take him to next level.

I think this is the tweet Canucks Army was talking about. Says nothing about the Oilers being eliminated but what it does say all but does put the Oilers at #4 in that group.

Hmm...didn't O'Connor actually attend a 'Nucks prospect camp where he would have worked with Rolly Melanson?...and isn't Melanson considered one of the best goalie coaches in the business?..just sayin':rolly:

carlweezer*

I believe O Connor has chosen NY Rangers and is waiting until the Rangers are eliminated or when this round is over To announce it.

Rangers PR don't want it to be a distraction or take away focus on the big club.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I believe O Connor has chosen NY Rangers and is waiting until the Rangers are eliminated or when this round is over To announce it.

Rangers PR don't want it to be a distraction or take away focus on the big club.

Signing a college goalie for their AHL team would hardly be a distraction.

carlweezer*

Signing a college goalie for their AHL team would hardly be a distraction.

I have sources that say he bought a house in New York already. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness tho, New York just has a lot of things to offer, they have to be considered the favorites in this race.

-Legendary goalie coach
-closer to home , he is from Toronto and played in Hockey east.
- have a chance to Be mentored by King Henrik
-Won't get scrutinized and crucified for every goal he lets In like he would if he signed in Ottawa or Van.

Big props for this guy tho for not doing the Justin Schultz and just going where the money is and where an NHL spot is guaranteed not earned.

Matt O knows he needs time In the AHL. He .could have easily signed in Edm and probably be their starter next year. Props.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm also expecting NY. Goalie coach probably scores points with Talbot's strong play. And it's freaking NYC.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Utica is close to NYC, I do think Canucks are the frontrunners given that he has already attended camp and the management seems to believe in him before anyone else did which goes a long way to building trust.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Utica is close to NYC, I do think Canucks are the frontrunners given that he has already attended camp and the management seems to believe in him before anyone else did which goes a long way to building trust.

The counter pts would be... Ott invited him to camp the yr before us... and the yr we invited him was the yr he also attended the NY camp. So 3 of the teams have had management show interest him.

So O'Connor had the opportunity to immediately compare the differences between NYR and Van last summer.... So I wouldn't be surprised if he was weighting one of these teams vs Ottawa.

I think everything about Edm is attractive and tempting to be a apart of going forward, except the goaltending coach they have... a new young guy with only Jr. experience. Pales in comparison to the 3 other organizations.

Any way you cut it, the 3 that don't get him will lambaste him for this decision making process as well as the goal he let in at the frozen 4 and point to that as proof he actually sucks... the other fanbase will be stoked with a free asset, with some pretty god potential.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Demko could also scare O'Connor. Just saying that if I'm in his shoes, New York is looking pretty good.
Nah, demko isn't a threat for a few years IF he even makes it to the AHL.
The king and talbot right behind are larger roadblocks

Phred Phlinstone

Feb 12, 2015
White Rock, BC
If I'm O'Connor, I'd be signing with the Rangers.

(1) For development purposes, Benoit Allaire = Rollie Melanson. In fact both teach the exact same techniques (deep in crease, butterfly, controlled movements, efficient use of energy, blocking the puck vs. saving the puck, etc. and both have a Vezina goalie to their credit). Perfect style for a big-bodied goalie like O'Connor.

(2) For opportunities, Henrik Lundquist is 33 YO and has four years left on his contract that takes him out to 37 YO, just in time for him to pass the throne to the next starting tender. If O'Connor plays his cards right, he could be that guy in four years in Manhattan. For all intents and purposes, Vancouver has Miller for two more years, and following that Lack for say another 3-5 years (five to seven years of potential goaltending stability in Vancouver). After Lack is done, Demko is in the pipeline and the "next one".

Obviously this is how the landscape looks right now and lots can change, but this could very well be the way O'Connor may be looking at the present and the future.

As well, O'Connor attended the Rangers development camp, so the fact he was in Vancouver last summer is pretty much neutralized.

Edmonton's got squat for goalie development right now (two "consultants" who resume is "teaching" 16 to 18 year olds).

Ottawa just started negotiations with Hammond, and they already have Anderson and Lehner under contract, and their goalie coach is Rick Wamsley (don't know anything about him as a coach, so can't comment on his proficiency as a goalie developer, but it seems Ottawa develops good tenders...e.g., Ben Bishop).

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
I have sources that say he bought a house in New York already. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness tho, New York just has a lot of things to offer, they have to be considered the favorites in this race.

-Legendary goalie coach
-closer to home , he is from Toronto and played in Hockey east.
- have a chance to Be mentored by King Henrik
-Won't get scrutinized and crucified for every goal he lets In like he would if he signed in Ottawa or Van.

Big props for this guy tho for not doing the Justin Schultz and just going where the money is and where an NHL spot is guaranteed not earned.

Matt O knows he needs time In the AHL. He .could have easily signed in Edm and probably be their starter next year. Props.

Yeah, this is not the case in NYR. Many NYR-fans are nitpicking every goal Lundqvist allows, calling him overrated/"The Contract" etc. Some vehemently argue Talbot is better and Lundqvist should be traded...:help:

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Yeah, this is not the case in NYR. Many NYR-fans are nitpicking every goal Lundqvist allows, calling him overrated/"The Contract" etc. Some vehemently argue Talbot is better and Lundqvist should be traded...:help:

Sounds like Canuck fans 3 years ago ;)

TBH, I think the best goalie coach for O'Connor would be Sean Burke. Look at what he did with Dubnyk...

carlweezer*

That's fair but there is no way you can argue that new York media /fans scrutinize and prioritize their hockey team like Vancouver does with our. You are under a microscope if you play for the Canucks.

When was the last time new York scrutinized every single mistake their 3rd pairing Dman made like Van is doing w. Sbisa ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad