Confirmed with Link: Matt O'Connor signs with Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Wouldn't it make more logical sense to get rid of Hammond? His value has never been higher than it is now and he's never going to be this successful in his NHL career again.

How can you say this? What evidence do you have to even suggest this? The guy has done nothing but WIN in his NHL career thus far. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING suggests he cannot continue that success.

Wishful thinking on your part that some guys career is going to fall to pieces so your favorite Swedish prospect can stick around to suck another year does not equate to facts.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
He'll demand starts when he thinks he's ready which is in stark contrast with how Lehner forced management into keeping him in the NHL despite not having truly earned the spot

Not sure if you miswrote what you were trying to say, but this is very hypocritical. You pretty much just said that O'Connor will demand starts when he believes himself to be ready for it. That is exactly what Lehner did, and that's exactly what you and many others have complained about.

As far as Lehner not being ready for the NHL or not having earned the spot, yes, he did not have a great 2011-12 AHL season, but he did have a 2.01 GAA and a .935 SV% in 5 NHL starts that year. The next season, he was an AHL all star with a 2.12 GAA and a .938 SV% in 31 starts. That was the best SV% in the AHL by a mile that season. He then posted a 2.20 GAA and a .936 SV% in 12 NHL games. Those are elite numbers, to go with that Calder Cup run not that long before. On all 3 of those teams, Lehner's numbers were better than Bishop's. In fact they weren't even very close. Plus, it wasn't just Lehner thinking he was ready, management believed that be the case too, as shown by giving him as many starts as Bishop when Anderson was injured during the shortened season, and in starting him against Boston in the biggest game of the year that season.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
How can you say this? What evidence do you have to even suggest this? The guy has done nothing but WIN in his NHL career thus far. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING suggests he cannot continue that success.

Wishful thinking on your part that some guys career is going to fall to pieces so your favorite Swedish prospect can stick around to suck another year does not equate to facts.

And the fact you think that Hammond is going to be great again next season also doesn't equate to the facts. Montreal showed that some background work through video, etc can expose Hammond and the deficiencies in his game. Team's aren't going to be surprised by Hammond anymore. They gave a whole off season of video to look at to break his game down and take it from there.

How sure are you that Hammond is going to be great again next season? It's a real possibility he loses the magic he had this season. Montreal exposed him in the playoffs and theres no doubt other teams can do the same

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
Why do people want to let Hammond walk? Are you assuming he's going to be a complete bust next season?
20-1-2, 0.941 pct, 1.79 GAA...... THAT'S AMAZING! If you argue he didn't have a great playoffs, you're right, but they weren't terrible. He faced 81 shots in 2 games and let in 7. I don't think the team played that great in front of him to be honest. But yes Anderson was lights out.
One thing for sure is that he at least deserves a short term, cheap contract with our team (whether he accepts or not is up to him). I would start Anderson next season with Hammond as backup. Lehner should never have forced his way to the NHL, very poor on his part. It's starting to work against him now. And I wouldn't mind shipping him out for an early 2nd. If Hammond leaves however, keep Lehner as back up. But don't choose Lehner over Hammond.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I'm on the fence with the Hammond/Lehner decision, but I would argue that Hammond's career before his NHL stint would be some supporting evidence that he may not be able to sustain this. Sounds like he was downright awful this year in the A.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Hammond was his own worst enemy against Montreal

A lot of the goals he allowed were mistakes rather than him just getting beat cleanly

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
At this point the ball is still in Hammond's hands. He has no incentive to sign with us right away rather than test the market come June 1st

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Except for in the playoffs where he didn't look good at all.

And pretty much his entire career was underwhelming before he went on that miracle run.

Im not trying to slam Hammond, but he is a massive question mark and there is more evidence to suggest that the miracle run was just that, a miracle than there is evidence to suggest the opposite.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Except for in the playoffs where he didn't look good at all.

And pretty much his entire career was underwhelming before he went on that miracle run.

Im not trying to slam Hammond, but he is a massive question mark and there is more evidence to suggest that the miracle run was just that, a miracle than there is evidence to suggest the opposite.

Exactly. People seem to be struggling with objectivity when it comes to Hammond I find.

The most successful franchises in other leagues don't make emotional decisions, they make the hard decisions which best suit the franchise and its success. There may be some hurt feelings but that's life. Everyone's an adult there

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Why do people want to let Hammond walk? Are you assuming he's going to be a complete bust next season?
20-1-2, 0.941 pct, 1.79 GAA...... THAT'S AMAZING! If you argue he didn't have a great playoffs, you're right, but they weren't terrible. He faced 81 shots in 2 games and let in 7. I don't think the team played that great in front of him to be honest. But yes Anderson was lights out.
One thing for sure is that he at least deserves a short term, cheap contract with our team (whether he accepts or not is up to him). I would start Anderson next season with Hammond as backup. Lehner should never have forced his way to the NHL, very poor on his part. It's starting to work against him now. And I wouldn't mind shipping him out for an early 2nd. If Hammond leaves however, keep Lehner as back up. But don't choose Lehner over Hammond.

Regardless of the point you are arguing here, I'd just like to point out that a 3.5 GAA and 7 goals on 81 shots (1 goal every 11.6 shots) is pretty awful. That's like... Tokarski bad. I'm not saying Lehner would have fared better or anything like that, but he crumbled, and you shouldn't downplay it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Read on another site so take this with a grain of salt ,BM offered Hammy a one way 2 year at 1 mil per,if true he probably walks :nod:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Read on another site so take this with a grain of salt ,BM offered Hammy a one way 2 year at 1 mil per,if true he probably walks :nod:

The bolded should be what Hammy is looking for, 2 years is a bonus for him. he shouldn't be expecting anything more than league minimum but on a 1 way contract. He still has to prove himself over a full season. I hope Hammy walks tho, just because its pretty much the end of Lehner if he inks a deal with us.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The bolded should be what Hammy is looking for, 2 years is a bonus for him. he shouldn't be expecting anything more than league minimum but on a 1 way contract. He still has to prove himself over a full season. I hope Hammy walks tho, just because its pretty much the end of Lehner if he inks a deal with us.
TBH Hammy leaving just makes the most sense.People thinking we are Deep in nets really need to look at what we exactly have .One nhl starter and three goalie with potential and little else:nod:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Hammy will likely get the same contract from all the teams interested much like O'Connor he just has to see where he has the best chance to be a backup/1B uncontested for a little while, and I hope its not Ottawa.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'm on the fence with the Hammond/Lehner decision, but I would argue that Hammond's career before his NHL stint would be some supporting evidence that he may not be able to sustain this. Sounds like he was downright awful this year in the A.

I go back and forth on Hammond for all the reasons you give. About 75% of the time I am convinced he was a flash in the pan, and that signing him to a guaranteed deal would be a mistake. About a quarter of the time, though, I have this nagging voice saying to me, "What if he's a Tim Thomas type late bloomer, and we give him away? How stupid would that be?" It's a tough call...

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I go back and forth on Hammond for all the reasons you give. About 75% of the time I am convinced he was a flash in the pan, and that signing him to a guaranteed deal would be a mistake. About a quarter of the time, though, I have this nagging voice saying to me, "What if he's a Tim Thomas type late bloomer, and we give him away? How stupid would that be?" It's a tough call...

It really is a tough decision. I think if we just had a ho hum no potential backup it would be easier, but since it pretty much guarantees that we'd be dealing our touted "goalie of the future" Lehner, it does make it more complicated.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
This.

Lehner has worn out his welcome in Ottawa. Time to move on and get a fresh start for everyone. Hammond is providing that opportunity. Trade Lehner, Cowen, and a prospect/pick to Edm for Eberle and be done with it.

So Lehner has played 86 games in the NHL, and you're suggesting he's done, and want to toss him to the curb.

And Cowen, who has played only 212 games in the NHL, you also want to get rid on him too.

Believe me Edmonton would love this trade, and it would go down as Murray's worst ever trade.

Don't worry, Murray is not that stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad