Confirmed with Link: Matt O'Connor signs with Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
The fact that he acknowledged that he wasn't the kind of guy to demand starts and seems to understand that he needs to develop is always nice

Already he's more mature than Lehner

This.

Lehner has worn out his welcome in Ottawa. Time to move on and get a fresh start for everyone. Hammond is providing that opportunity. Trade Lehner, Cowen, and a prospect/pick to Edm for Eberle and be done with it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees a crap-ton of Ben Bishop in this kid. Super similar styles, OC needs to work on some things for sure (for instance - he under-commits on his glove hand because he has a good glove hand and likes to flash it, Patrick Roy style - he needs to just set up properly and not show the whole left side of the net for the shooters, because he's not going to get them all), but otherwise he's so much like Bishop.

I've been pretending he is ben bishop. erases a big pain in my brain.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This.

Lehner has worn out his welcome in Ottawa. Time to move on and get a fresh start for everyone. Hammond is providing that opportunity. Trade Lehner, Cowen, and a prospect/pick to Edm for Eberle and be done with it.
They wont do that

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i forgot that a week ago i had a dream we signed him (posted in the other thread). it really stood out over everything else i dreamt. It had a different look compared to the rest.

I do have a super power. I may be a god. (more research needed)

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
i forgot that a week ago i had a dream we signed him (posted in the other thread). it really stood out over everything else i dreamt. It had a different look compared to the rest.

I do have a super power. I may be a god. (more research needed)
Humm jump off building see if you survive reseasrch ..........:laugh:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This.

THat's not true at all. He's a young goalie that has struggled finding consistency in the bigs after loads of success in the AHL.

If the Senators gave up on every 23 year old player that struggled they'd never develop anyone.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
He had one good run in the AHL in 2011

He was very bad the following year

A Calder cup and a playoff MVP trophy screams boatloads of success to me.

Lehner still oozes potential even though a big portion of the fanbase soured on him this year. But then a big portion of this fanbase though Anderson was in decline and holding back Lehner in September so what can ya do.

Takes goalies longer to develop in most cases, it wouldn't be shocking if he still found his game. Trading him for the ****** return he'd get is dangerous, especially if you're banking on a guy who has had a mediocre career except for one remarkable 20 game run that fell apart in the playoffs.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
not wanting starts right away could also kill a guys career

this is professional sports you take what you can and there isnt a lot of space for 'nice guys'

if oconnor is a competitive guy and he has a couple of decent years in the AHL i suspect he will be demanding starts too

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A Calder cup and a playoff MVP trophy screams boatloads of success to me.

Lehner still oozes potential even though a big portion of the fanbase soured on him this year. But then a big portion of this fanbase though Anderson was in decline and holding back Lehner in September so what can ya do.

Takes goalies longer to develop in most cases, it wouldn't be shocking if he still found his game. Trading him for the ****** return he'd get is dangerous, especially if you're banking on a guy who has had a mediocre career except for one remarkable 20 game run that fell apart in the playoffs.

I don't know if I call it boatloads, he had one good year, that's it

His body of work in North America isn't great and he's been trending the wrong way

Still plenty of potential but for me the real issue is how the team responded to him getting hurt and the comments that were made about playing for Hammond by some players

I think Lehner has put himself into a corner and the team has had enough of his poor attitude: you don't get to the NHL by being ok with losing but Lehner calling out his team mates on a fairly regular basis (offering the caveat of "I also need to be better" doesn't do much) all while allowing horrible goals means I think he might have reached the point of no return

Trading him for peanuts would be dumb and we might not be able to trade him if his concussion symptoms don't go away so I'm not sure I expect him to be gone before the season begins

not wanting starts right away could also kill a guys career

this is professional sports you take what you can and there isnt a lot of space for 'nice guys'

if oconnor is a competitive guy and he has a couple of decent years in the AHL i suspect he will be demanding starts too

He'll demand starts when he thinks he's ready which is in stark contrast with how Lehner forced management into keeping him in the NHL despite not having truly earned the spot

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't know if I call it boatloads, he had one good year, that's it

His body of work in North America isn't great and he's been trending the wrong way

Still plenty of potential but for me the real issue is how the team responded to him getting hurt and the comments that were made about playing for Hammond by some players

I think Lehner has put himself into a corner and the team has had enough of his poor attitude: you don't get to the NHL by being ok with losing but Lehner calling out his team mates on a fairly regular basis (offering the caveat of "I also need to be better" doesn't do much) all while allowing horrible goals means I think he might have reached the point of no return

Trading him for peanuts would be dumb and we might not be able to trade him if his concussion symptoms don't go away so I'm not sure I expect him to be gone before the season begins

He'll demand starts when he thinks he's ready which is in stark contrast with how Lehner forced management into keeping him in the NHL despite not having truly earned the spot

Peanuts are what you're going to get for a struggling goalie, trading him for the sake of trading him doesn't make much sense at all. He had a lot of stuff going on last year and the team in front of him played like salty garbage until pretty much after he went down to the concussion.

To me that deserves a mulligan. If he struggles again this year and doesn't show any signs of improvement, then maybe there should be talk of dealing him. I can't imagine his value is going to drop that much further.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'm not sure his value is that low

He still has a lot of potential and has been playing behind an especially poor defense

Murray also seemed to hint that plenty of teams were asking about him at the deadline

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
lehner didn't deserve a spot? i am not so sure about that he has a calder cup to his name and was a HUGE part in getting that

also management clearly believed the same

If OConnor comes an wins a calder cup i am sure his agent will be pushing for nhl ice

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He won a Calder cup on a fairly stacked team and followed it up with a very poor year

He shouldn't even be in the NHL right now

He threatened to bail if he was sent down, he is the architect of his own demise

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Lehner's play at times this season was concerning but I feel many are being short sighted in their view on him at the moment. Considering his career as a whole I'm more than willing to give him more time.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Wouldn't it make more logical sense to get rid of Hammond? His value has never been higher than it is now and he's never going to be this successful in his NHL career again. His potential is a career NHL backup goalie and nothing more imo. We might be able to get atleast a couple of more draft picks with letting him go

You trade Hammond, send O'Connor down to the AHL and roll with Anderson/Lehner again. There's no doubt that Lehner had an off year but to be honest we've been absolutely awful defensively in front of Anderson/Lehner at times over the past few seasons

Check on the status of Anderson/Lehner in 2 years time and make a decision then

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Wouldn't it make more logical sense to get rid of Hammond? His value has never been higher than it is now and he's never going to be this successful in his NHL career again. His potential is a career NHL backup goalie and nothing more imo. We might be able to get atleast a couple of more draft picks with letting him go

You trade Hammond, send O'Connor down to the AHL and roll with Anderson/Lehner again.

To me that would be the best approach, but I'm not sure the Sens can afford to do that, Hammond brought huge hype to the team, to the casual fan them letting go of Hammond would be really bad.

Either way, it's lose-lose.

Hindsight will be 20/20 no matter what they do.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

You trade Hammond, send O'Connor down to the AHL and roll with Anderson/Lehner again.

This is my line of thought. But to be truthful I'm not the biggest Hammond fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad