Confirmed with Link: Matt O'Connor signs with Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
That contract would set him for life. 2 mil guaranteed and free hamburgers for the rest of his life is a pretty sweet deal for ~25 games.:sarcasm:

It won't set him for life, but if I he manages the roughly 1 million he'll clear out of that 2 million correctly, life will be much easier.

That's 1 million dollars more than he was ever going to earn in the AHL.

He had a crazy run, but I'm not convinced it was "anything more" than one of the greatest hot streaks of all time.

No problem plugging him in as a backup to see what he really is tho.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
Wouldn't it make more logical sense to get rid of Hammond? His value has never been higher than it is now and he's never going to be this successful in his NHL career again. His potential is a career NHL backup goalie and nothing more imo. We might be able to get atleast a couple of more draft picks with letting him go

You trade Hammond, send O'Connor down to the AHL and roll with Anderson/Lehner again. There's no doubt that Lehner had an off year but to be honest we've been absolutely awful defensively in front of Anderson/Lehner at times over the past few seasons

Check on the status of Anderson/Lehner in 2 years time and make a decision then

The Senators could only trade Hammond's negotiating rights, as he's becoming an UFA on July first.

Ottawa has stated that they're currently negotiating with his agent, and they should after the "run" he had.

But make no mistake, they're not going to break the bank and offer him big dough, or long term.

Hammond is not stupid, and knows he can probably get a one way deal, or a longer deal from another team and will test Free agency after July first.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
2 years is still risky, what if he regresses back to AHL **** next year, yes its still only 1 mill being wasted but on a budget team where every mill counts....

I think he too old to be waiver exempt, and would have to e kept in the NHL or risk being lost to waivers for nothing in return.

Tee Lo

May 1, 2015
Regardless of the point you are arguing here, I'd just like to point out that a 3.5 GAA and 7 goals on 81 shots (1 goal every 11.6 shots) is pretty awful. That's like... Tokarski bad. I'm not saying Lehner would have fared better or anything like that, but he crumbled, and you shouldn't downplay it.

Hammond was playing in his first game in the playoffs in his career at the Bell Centre + His teammates were not playing very well in front of him = recipe for disaster... It seems a little short-sighted to think it was completely his fault and that he won't be a very good goalie in the NHL anymore... the guy deserves to be on this team, for a reasonable contract of course.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Hammond was playing in his first game in the playoffs in his career at the Bell Centre + His teammates were not playing very well in front of him = recipe for disaster... It seems a little short-sighted to think it was completely his fault and that he won't be a very good goalie in the NHL anymore... the guy deserves to be on this team, for a reasonable contract of course.

Yup, I think if you're going to say 25 regular season games isn't enough to prove you're good, then 2 playoff games shouldn't be enough to prove you're bad.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Regardless of the point you are arguing here, I'd just like to point out that a 3.5 GAA and 7 goals on 81 shots (1 goal every 11.6 shots) is pretty awful. That's like... Tokarski bad. I'm not saying Lehner would have fared better or anything like that, but he crumbled, and you shouldn't downplay it.

Be sure then to point out that the Sens ripped Price for 5 goals one game. That's Scrivens bad, don't downplay it.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
And the fact you think that Hammond is going to be great again next season also doesn't equate to the facts. Montreal showed that some background work through video, etc can expose Hammond and the deficiencies in his game. Team's aren't going to be surprised by Hammond anymore. They gave a whole off season of video to look at to break his game down and take it from there.

How sure are you that Hammond is going to be great again next season? It's a real possibility he loses the magic he had this season. Montreal exposed him in the playoffs and theres no doubt other teams can do the same

Right. This makes a TON of sense. This is just like how the NJ Devils exposed Henrik Lunqvist in his first playoff series in 05-06. Showing that he cant even win ONE game and leaving him with a 4.40 and .835. A little video background is all it took to expose King Henrik and his career was over courtesy of his first playoff experience.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Alright this thread has run its course as we're no longer talking about OC's signing.
He's now officially a prospect, and likely to play in Bingo - so good spots to talk specifically about issues relating to him in either of those specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad