Player Discussion Matt Murray (G) - 4 years, $6.25M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Norris is incompetent defensively. Go watch tape on the 2nd and 3rd goals of last night's game.

Well, look at the date of my post, before this week where Norris struggled. Also, not that surprising for a 21 y/o on a discombobulated teamé I don't mind up and downs for young guys, less than for a guy like Gudbranson for example

Norris has been pretty good defensively for a rookie, outside of a few plays/games. Pretty sure I'm not the only one with that "opinion"

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Me watching the first period of last night's game
FB_IMG_1614984598610.jpg

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I said it somewhere near the beginning of the year. Trust is earned by consistent actions (performances) over time. Murray has looked great at times, really bad other times. On TV it was pointed out that Murray has has great stats every other game.

Yes, team played really bad in front of him yesterday. But if he saves two of those 4 goals (which you might expect from a 6 million dollar starter) it’s still a game going into the second.

3 goals on the first 4 shots. That’s a way to take the wind out of sails. You need a goalie that can survive the waves and give your team a shot.

Speaking as a non-expert who has watched a lot of hockey. I did feel bad fir Murray yesterday, when it rains it pours with perfect shots. But I wish he would have me cheering than saying “f*ck”.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's been nothing short of terrible. Bad defense or not, he's a 6.25M goalie and he's got a .883 SV%.

Still can't get over that we're stuck with him for 3 more years at an average salary of 7M.

Was a high-risk low-upside gamble by Dorion to give him 25M/4YRs coming off of a sub .899 SV% season. Should have given him a 1YR show me deal before throwing big money at him. If we were giving him 4YRs, no way he should have gotten 6.25M per after his struggles in a normal off-season, let alone a pandemic year where players were signing for 80 cents on the dollar.

If he turned it around it's unlikely he would have got significantly more than 6.25M, but if he continued to suck (like he has) we could have either re-signed him for much cheaper or cut ties all together.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Well, look at the date of my post, before this week where Norris struggled. Also, not that surprising for a 21 y/o on a discombobulated teamé I don't mind up and downs for young guys, less than for a guy like Gudbranson for example

Norris has been pretty good defensively for a rookie, outside of a few plays/games. Pretty sure I'm not the only one with that "opinion"
We are not talking Gudbranson bad; we are watching a guy play D who seems totally lost. He was directly responsible for 3 goals last night and it's hard to blame the goalies for such inept defensive play in front of them.

Reactions: Ed Wood and Yak

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Here's a good thing

We're not treated to Murray misplaying the puck leading to a goal every 3 games.

That's good no?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Here's a good thing

We're not treated to Murray misplaying the puck leading to a goal every 3 games.

That's good no?

Murray doesn’t really play the puck, I don’t think he’s very good at it

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Murray not the problem. No goalie can perform when the team play bad. When we do the playoff , it s there we see the importance to have Murray

I agree with this concept however there is no question he has gotten beaten pretty regularly on shots that have nothing to do with the team.
I mean at some point you just have to make some saves.

Reactions: Alex1234

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He's been nothing short of terrible. Bad defense or not, he's a 6.25M goalie and he's got a .883 SV%.

Still can't get over that we're stuck with him for 3 more years at an average salary of 7M.

Was a high-risk low-upside gamble by Dorion to give him 25M/4YRs coming off of a sub .899 SV% season. Should have given him a 1YR show me deal before throwing big money at him. If we were giving him 4YRs, no way he should have gotten 6.25M per after his struggles in a normal off-season, let alone a pandemic year where players were signing for 80 cents on the dollar.

If he turned it around it's unlikely he would have got significantly more than 6.25M, but if he continued to suck (like he has) we could have either re-signed him for much cheaper or cut ties all together.
The contract was hilarious and I have no idea why it was given. I mean paying that guy 8 million dollar the last two years. That’s not much less than carey price lol.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
It’s our only bad contract right now.

Dadonov has 2 assists and beyond his little scoring streak he’s been almost invisible. It’s not paralyzingly money but he’s not playing anywhere close to a 5 millionaire player. And he’s had a ton of PP time, so his stats should be way better.

Reactions: aragorn

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Dadonov has 2 assists and beyond his little scoring streak he’s been almost invisible. It’s not paralyzingly money but he’s not playing anywhere close to a 5 millionaire player. And he’s had a ton of PP time, so his stats should be way better.

Dado is fine he is still worth a couple million Murray is almost unplayable that is one of the worst contracts in the nhl

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Dado is fine he is still worth a couple million Murray is almost unplayable that is one of the worst contracts in the nhl

just imagine Nilsson didn’t get hurt. Cheaper goaltending, better goaltending, no expansion worries.

Why can’t Sens fans have nice things?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You know I seem to have a bit of a blind spot for dadonovs contract. I don’t hate him on the ice. And 5 million ain’t too bad.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I’m just not sure what Dorion was thinking. Did he think Murray was going to do insane things on a short term deal and then demand 8-10 million on a 6-8 year deal?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You know I seem to have a bit of a blind spot for dadonovs contract. I don’t hate him on the ice. And 5 million ain’t too bad.

They’ve played 26 games and he has 2 assists. He’s on pace for 4 assists for the entire season. 14 points total. He’s been non existent outside of that awesome OT game. And he hasn’t even shot pucks into the net, at least 2 goals I remember were dumb luck deflection off his rump as he was skating in the opposite direction

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
They’ve played 26 games and he has 2 assists. He’s on pace for 4 assists for the entire season. 14 points total. He’s been non existent outside of that awesome OT game. And he hasn’t even shot pucks into the net, at least 2 goals I remember were dumb luck deflection off his rump as he was skating in the opposite direction
Yeah I can definitely see that. I don’t know. I wonder why I don’t seem to be that hard on him. I like him on a shift to shift basis. But yeah. The numbers are definitely not there.

Reactions: Alex1234

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I’m just not sure what Dorion was thinking. Did he think Murray was going to do insane things on a short term deal and then demand 8-10 million on a 6-8 year deal?

Right? Like if he had a good year then you give him a 4 year 6 million contract.

How hard is that concept?

This is like the White contract where Dorion just pays the potential top end without the player having reached that level.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

See the trouble you are having is with the word "thinking" as it applies to Dorion. Your understanding of that word has to be extensively dumbed down.

Reactions: SensHulk

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's too bad PD couldn't have made one more deal at the draft to acquire Askorov & we might actually have some hope for the future of this team in net. We have a lot of goalies but can anyone be certain of any of them becoming good NHL goalies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad