Player Discussion Matt Murray (G) - 4 years, $6.25M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
That's not bad for a #1 goalie with that pedigree. Welcome aboard Matt, hope you can refind your form

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Well we've been signing the occasional big deal so that's something positive. Hopefully he can figure it out and become our starter.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It's basically a high risk/ high reward deal and I remember when we were talking about goalies earlier I really wanted to go after Kuemper because his deal is only 2 years and way less risky. I didn't want Murray because of the potential contract.

I'm skeptical this is going to work out but at the same time it's nice to see the team go hard at it.

Reactions: DrEasy and NyQuil

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Murray will likely bounce back in Ottawa and be a .915 type goalie as a Penguins fan. I think that's worth 6 mil in a vacuum, but given what a bunch of old ass tenders with much better careers are signing for this contract looks bloated. I don't think it really is especially if Murray gets back to 18-19 level and his age. He potentially could be a franchise goaltender ala Anderson for Ottawa over the next four seasons.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Ottawa back loaded a contract?
tenor.gif

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
4 years isn’t long at all. High cap hit but we have so much cap space so who cares?

Hopefully we can win a few rounds during those 4 years.

Even if we were trying to compete... lots of teams have won cups with bad contracts.

If we fail it's not going to be because of the contract. Is this the best deal? Nah. But ultimately he has 2 Stanley Cups, he's only 26 and this deal takes him to age 30 which would only give him 1 more good contract even if he played great for us. That would have factored into his number regardless of his most recent play.

Reactions: Xspyrit and Deku

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I guess my valuation of goalies is all off.

I'd expect this kind of contract for a goalie who just came off a good season.
two cups brah

rumours were correct around 6mill

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
If you believe he’s the guy... two timecup winner .
You need the stability to develop defenders... goalie to bail out youthful mistakes

This is one of the best things Dorion has done as GM and I’ve now jumped on board his vision... I’m interested to see how his vision pans out

Reactions: Frank8 and Viletho

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
I guess my valuation of goalies is all off.

I'd expect this kind of contract for a goalie who just came off a good season.

I don't love the contract either, but the guys on TSN said he'd easily get 6 million in arbitration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->