Player Discussion: Matt Martin

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They are going to need to come up big again this series. They did their job wearing down the Bruins defence. They are going to need to do the same for TB's D.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
They are going to need to come up big again this series. They did their job wearing down the Bruins defence. They are going to need to do the same for TB's D.
This is why Ken Hitchcock said playing the Islanders is death by a thousand cuts.

It’s not that we outplay you in a game, it’s the cumulative effect of all the hits and checks. Hockey players don’t like getting hit.

We wear teams down, and in Bruce Cassidy’s case, get in their heads.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is why Ken Hitchcock said playing the Islanders is death by a thousand cuts.

It’s not that we outplay you in a game, it’s the cumulative effect of all the hits and checks. Hockey players don’t like getting hit.

I say in GDT, at times, this may go over people's heads. Isles are the Cape Hunting Dogs of the NHL. We won't be as fast as most teams, but we will eventually catch up to you, and then like a Wild Dog. The pack mentality will eat you.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I say in GDT, at times, this may go over people's heads. Isles are the Cape Hunting Dogs of the NHL. We won't be as fast as most teams, but we will eventually catch up to you, and then like a Wild Dog. The pack mentality will eat you.
We’ll never win a skills contest but this is a team you want to go to war with.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Komarov is the personification of that description. He rarely has the thunderous - knock someone out/through the boards hit, but he also never passes up on taking the body whenever he can. And he hits hard. Those hits add up over a game and a series. Defenseman don't want to go back as hard - when they go to dig out the puck, they are tentative and are waiting to get hit. And of course, they are f***ing sore. After a while those hits accumulate.

I don't necessarily want to see Komarov on Barzy's wing. But I'm not sure I want to take him out either. He's the kind of guy that if you fast forward 20 years, may have trouble walking. Is there anyone who "leaves it all on the ice" more than Uncle Leo?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No secret how important I view Matty Marts on this team. Thought the team missed his energy and leadership in the first 2 games this year. However, The ID line was a force again last night, even scoring a goal. Anyone who thinks these 3 are not better when they are the whole sum, hasn't been watching. Love what Matty brings to the team. Love that Lou and Matt agreed on a team friendly deal. The Isles just have more swagger with Matty in the line up. As evidenced by Hardman being Martined last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad