Matt Hendricks appreciation thread

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
It's crazy to think that we traded Dubnyk for him.

Should we have made that trade?
Lol, that was the Pedersen/Neely trade of this generation.
Dubnyk won 3 more games in his 34 starts with the Wild than the Oilers won all season long, 76 games or something. The Oilers probably won't have Hendricks next season, they won't have a starting goalie next season, and DD is getting serious consideration for league MVP.
The Wild were 18-19-6 before the DD trade, not playoff contenders, and now they are 44-25-7.

Hendricks sticks out like a sore thumb here because he doesn't suck, but 6 Hendricks aren't worth 1 Devan Dubnyk.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Lol, that was the Pedersen/Neely trade of this generation.
Dubnyk won 3 more games in his 34 starts with the Wild than the Oilers won all season long, 76 games or something. The Oilers probably won't have Hendricks next season, they won't have a starting goalie next season, and DD is getting serious consideration for league MVP.
The Wild were 18-19-6 before the DD trade, not playoff contenders, and now they are 44-25-7.

Hendricks sticks out like a sore thumb here because he doesn't suck, but 6 Hendricks aren't worth 1 Devan Dubnyk.

Duby meant nothing to us because he was totally void of confidence in Edmonton.

Hendricks brought in a lot of toughness and hard work. That was something we were in desperate need of at the time. Looks like a horrible trade... but really ....

If I traded you my lear jet for your car... what would you do with the jet? Can you fly it? Can you pay someone to fly you around? Can you even afford to keep it in storage? Most people are going to answer no to all of these questions to point out the fact that we were unable to make good use of Dubby.

We didn't trade him away to the Wild, whom we never seem to get along with. We traded him to the Preds. He sucked so bad that he got traded to Montreal and he had even worse numbers in the minors. After that Sean Burke picked him up and did some magic and he found his mojo and he's a happy productive member of the Wild now.

We were not the only team who was unable to make good use of him and I don't think it's logical to assume that Dubby would have just flicked a switch and become incredible at some point while with the Oilers.

Our goalie coach chabot had a downright horrible track record as a goalie coach in Edmonton. Every single goalie to ever come here and work with him put up career low stats.

nyy486

Dec 2, 2014

Hendricks brought in a lot of toughness and hard work. That was something we were in desperate need of at the time. Looks like a horrible trade... but really ....

If I traded you my lear jet for your car... what would you do with the jet? Can you fly it? Can you pay someone to fly you around? Can you even afford to keep it in storage? Most people are going to answer no to all of these questions to point out the fact that we were unable to make good use of Dubby.

We didn't trade him away to the Wild, whom we never seem to get along with. We traded him to the Preds. He sucked so bad that he got traded to Montreal and he had even worse numbers in the minors. After that Sean Burke picked him up and did some magic and he found his mojo and he's a happy productive member of the Wild now.

We were not the only team who was unable to make good use of him and I don't think it's logical to assume that Dubby would have just flicked a switch and become incredible at some point while with the Oilers.

Our goalie coach chabot had a downright horrible track record as a goalie coach in Edmonton. Every single goalie to ever come here and work with him put up career low stats.

Wasn't entirely Burke. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=754075#&navid=nhl-search. It was his work with Stephen Valiquette in this offseason, so it could have been something that happened with the Oilers. Granted, I'm sure his recent failures were a significant motivator for this kind of change.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site

The Lear jet analogy is interesting but it should go more like this.
The oiliers had a Lear jet that was working just fine and then they started using different fuel in it. All the planes in the hangar were running rough with the new fuelbut instead of changing back to the old fuel, or getting fuel from a more reliable, proven source they started trading planes that worked just fine on the old fuel for other planes that might work well with their new, crappy fuel.
The Lear jet was traded for a Sopwith Camel. The Sopwith wasn't quite as sophisticated as the newer planes, it would have run rough even on its own mothers milk, so it was quite useful compared to the other planes because it managed to get off the ground.
The only problem is, that the oil need a plane that can win them races and most other teams have a Lear jet. It just turns out that the Lear that the Oilers traded is the fastest jet not named Carey Price, but it has even been beating CP for the last 3 months.
If the oilers had 6 Sopwith camels could they beat a Lear jet?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad