Waived: Matt Hackett

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
This is dumb if you can put him on a rehab assignment.

I still see Hackett being the backup in buffalo if he isn't claimed.k

Tapu Coco

Jan 23, 2013
WNY
Doubt he gets claimed.

Hackett isn't as proven (still has some upside instead), but a fair amount of people thought Josh Harding was going to get claimed due to being a good, proven goalie even though he didn't play for a while due to injury, as Hackett hasn't as well.

If Harding, a sure thing, didn't get claimed, I can't see Hackett, a project, getting claimed

Not to mention higher upside players like Markstrom clearing

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
Who was the guy who thought Hackett would get claimed on waivers?

Djp. He kept talking about needing to first send Hackett down on a conditioning stint and then figuring out a way to keep three goalies on the roster once he was healthy. Like anyone would ever claim a goalie that hasn't played in almost nine months.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
This is dumb if you can put him on a rehab assignment.

I still see Hackett being the backup in buffalo if he isn't claimed.k

What happens if he plays really well on the rehab assignment and then has to be put on waivers to go back to the AHL? Waiving him now is the right move. No one is going to claim him now when he hasn't played in almost nine months. The likelihood of being claimed would have been much higher if he was to go down on a rehab assignment and play lights out. We would have had to risk losing an asset or figure out a way to keep three goalies at that point. That scenario is avoided by just waiving him now when he's all but guaranteed to not get claimed.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I honestly think it was Murray hoping to slide hackett through waivers on the same day so many other guys went up rather than risking it on a day where it was just Hackett. Roy,Frasher, Pav are all more enticing options for a claim than Hackett.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
Are people actually worried about Hackett being claimed? The guy is coming off a major injury and wasn't even an NHL-regular before that, he could even still be a good bit away from being ready for game action... I don't see anyone, no matter how bad their goalies are at the moment, even taking a closer look at him at this point.

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Nope. Hackett hasn't had a decent season since '11-'12. He has a substantial road back and a lot to prove.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Nope. Hackett hasn't had a decent season since '11-'12. He has a substantial road back and a lot to prove.

You're right. He showed some promise early on. By 12-13 his performance had slipped. Last year in Rochester was pretty bad and he eventually lost his job to Lieuwen - who really came on but has since gone south.

Given the last two years performance, a serious knee injury and coming off an 8 or 9 month rehab - he'll be lucky to stick in Rochester and/or be signed after the season. He might benefit from starting a bunch of games in Elmira if they are able to send him there.

Good luck to him.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I was excited when we acquired Hackett. That excitement quickly subsided watching him get badly outplayed by two goaltenders in Rochester last year, say nothing for the multiple temper tantrums he threw at refs and opponents after he got scored on. The guy is a non-entity. His only value to this team would be to aid the tank under the guise of "we need to see what we have in him so we can decide whether to tender him a contract this summer (if he gets the 8 games to keep him from UFA)..."

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Wonder if the Wild would claim him

I don't think anybody would. He hasn't shown much in recent years, and he's coming off a major injury. With Ullmark crossing the pond this summer and Makarov showing some potential, I doubt the Sabres even tender him after the year is over. Could still carve out a pro career for himself as an AHLer, but I doubt there will be teams lining up to give him a shot in the NHL.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Lieuwen won't ever be NHL material and thats just from watching what Rochester games I do watch. Hackett has shown promise at the next level. Lieuwen on the other hand hasnt shown much promise even in the AHL.

He should be out the door.

In the 2011/12 season Hackett posted a 2.37 GAA in a 12 game stint on the Wild

thats probably better than Lieuwen has ever posted at an AHL level. Still neither I dont think have bright NHL careers ahead of them but Hackett is a step ahead of him.

2013-2014 AHL:
Lieuwen: 2.34 GAA, 0.922 SV% in 32 games
Hackett: 3.07 GAA, 0.898 SV% in 33 games

2013-2014 NHL:
Lieuwen: 2.98 GAA, 0.906 SV% in 7 games
Hackett: 3.10 GAA, 0.908 SV% in 8 games

Not sure what your point is.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Hackett has cleared waivers and has been assigned to the Amerks:

I think the fact hackett cleared waivers speaks of his perceived value in a negative terms. I haven't been very impressed with his play in the AHL and i think his stock has been steadily falling. Hackett is not the future of the sabres goaltending.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think the fact hackett cleared waivers speaks of his perceived value in a negative terms. I haven't been very impressed with his play in the AHL and i think his stock has been steadily falling. Hackett is not the future of the sabres goaltending.

I think its more about his current situation than anything. If he's claimed he has to be on that team's NHL roster. I can't imagine anyone claiming an unproven goalie who hasn't played for 9 months due to knee surgery.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

The fact that he cleared waivers speaks more to the fact that absolutely no one is going to claim a guy who isn't an established NHL goalie on waivers. It's part of why the concern that someone would pick him up was so irrational. Dustin Tokarski was able to clear waivers last year and he's looking like he can be a capable NHL backup. That said, I'm rather skeptical about Hackett's NHL future as well.

Nibbler

May 24, 2011
Ambassador to Earth
Oh, you mean Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson-Omark? No, thanks.

He plays nothing like Omark. Paajarvi plays a defensive/checking energy game and he could be good at it. He has a little offensive upside as well. I know we already have guys like him but I still wouldn't mind seeing if Nolan can get more offense out of him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad