Value of: Matt Grzelcyk

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
You might think that but just look at the Hall/Foligno trade, they gave them away to get rid of the money, I'd expect the same out of a Forbort trade and maybe for a Grizz trade too.

That's funny to you? Ok.
The major difference is Bruins are already under the Salary cap. With Hall they needed to trade him to ice a full roster. I leave Foligno off as he was unsigned at the time anyways.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They aren't looking for equal value. And his salary isn't high.
How many teams have $3.7M in space?

Trying to trade him now means it has to be cap neutral. His real dollars is $4.25M iirc.

$4M+ deadline pass through near deadline will be about $1M owed so a 50% pass through is $500,000 which would be a high cost to the third team. It’s real dollars not cap space that drives deadline pass thru price.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Agreed, Lohrei is definitely providing some hope for the future. But there is also the defensive end of things where he needs a fair share of work and refining. There is no need to rush this kid. And he NOT 100% ready.
Yup. On a team like ANA or MTL he'd be playing. But on a team trying to make the playoffs, there's no need to rush him.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Some of the posters on the Sharks board, myself included, are pretty high on him. Not sure if we would pay a 2nd for him in our current situation though, we'd probably just wait until he hits the UFA market.
That probably makes the most sense if the sharks are interested. Some gm’s like to make a trade to ensure they get a chance to keep them. Maybe a sign and trade kind of thing makes it more palatable if it’s a 2nd but Gryz has a new contract waiting for him when he arrives in SJ. Depends if they want to wait and risk competing against other suitors.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Yup. On a team like ANA or MTL he'd be playing. But on a team trying to make the playoffs, there's no need to rush him.
I keep thinking of John Klingberg as a potential comparable for Lohrei in a few years. But that would mean that he is an adventure in his own end. I'm betting that the Bruins would like to see him round out that end of his game to make him a more all around d-man. It remains to be seen if that will work.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
Jeez if someone had a 3rd (this coming draft) and a 5th the year after, I'm smash hitting accept

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
How many teams have $3.7M in space?

Trying to trade him now means it has to be cap neutral. His real dollars is $4.25M iirc.

$4M+ deadline pass through near deadline will be about $1M owed so a 50% pass through is $500,000 which would be a high cost to the third team. It’s real dollars not cap space that drives deadline pass thru price.

According to CapFriendly there are 6 teams with $3.7 million or more in cap space.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
According to CapFriendly there are 6 teams with $3.7 million or more in cap space.

assuming it’s accurate…how many of them are in need?

teams with cap space are going to ask for sweeteners to take his contract Or to do a pass thru. You aren’t going to get face value from them.

Reactions: wintersej

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

teams with cap space are going to ask for sweeteners to take his contract Or to do a pass thru. You aren’t going to get face value from them.

No idea, was simply answering your question about how many had the cap space.

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
Some of the posters on the Sharks board, myself included, are pretty high on him. Not sure if we would pay a 2nd for him in our current situation though, we'd probably just wait until he hits the UFA market.
yeah grier went to BU before Gryz theres a connection. Still think we keep him and he resigns here.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Because they’re both struggling with their conversion to a zone system, Edmonton and Tampa should both be interested. Just don’t know how they fit him, or what Boston would want from either.

To be fair, they’ve both looked much better tonight. Even though Tampa still lost in OT, Buffalo was having a tough time getting inside.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

I think you missed the part where the op said we could possibly retain some as well if needed. Could be a player coming back instead of picks. There are a lot of options

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think you missed the part where the op said we could possibly retain some as well if needed. Could be a player coming back instead of picks. There are a lot of options

you can do many trades near cap neutral. Ehrn it’s a trade involving gaining cap space by one thrn you won’t return what you thought.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
you can do many trades near cap neutral. Ehrn it’s a trade involving gaining cap space by one thrn you won’t return what you thought.
isnt that said about every player in every thread?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad