Value of: Matt Grzelcyk

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Bruins need to make some roster decisions here, and Lorhei looking above schedule in his progress has potentially created a need to move a blueliner. Gryz is a devisive player on the B's board but has strong advanced stats if that's you cup of tea.

Undersized but versatile left shot D-man. Pending UFA. Decent cap hit, Bruins could potentially retain a little bit.

I think he could definitely bring a 2nd round pick. Way crappier defenseman have gone for a 1st at the deadline.

Any thoughts? What teams might be interested?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't think the B's are really interested in moving Gryz. The extra cap room would be nice, but at this point of the season is fairly useless. It's very rare that teams planning for a playoff run deal away D. Lohrei isn't ready yet, and you trade Gryz.... 1 injury or Lohrei showing that he's not ready and your season is pretty screwed.

That said, with other teams' cap situation there aren't a lot of teams that could deal for a player without sending salary back.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't expect it because Boston still has an elite goaltending tandem, and a fantastic top 4 D.

But if Boston did fall out I'd be all over Gryz, though admittedly he doesn't have the size Treliving supposedly wants.

Leafs do lack 2nd rounders because Dubas hates 2nd rounders but I think the Leafs have enough prospect capital to make up for that.

I don't think there would be to many untouchables either because Easton Cowan is the only Treliving pick.

Everbody Else was Dubas.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He's a veteran bottom pairing defenseman who isn't cheap for someone in such a role @ 3.7.

I don't see him as all that valuable, definitely an asset but if anything later 2nd round value or later imo. I suspect Bruins are better off keeping him as insurance if anything.

He is what he is at this point, his minutes have been steadily dropping for years. If he was younger with room to grow he'd have more value.

dixie

Mar 15, 2022
Does not have the size of Carlo and Forbort but his skill level is much better than those other 2 .Their mobility,foot speed and stick skills are terrible! Good penaltykilling tandem because you Don t need to make a play ,just ice the puck!

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
He's a veteran bottom pairing defenseman who isn't cheap for someone in such a role @ 3.7.

I don't see him as all that valuable, definitely an asset but if anything later 2nd round value or later imo. I suspect Bruins are better off keeping him as insurance if anything.

He is what he is at this point, his minutes have been steadily dropping for years. If he was younger with room to grow he'd have more value.

Steadily dropping for years? He's been rather consistent with his minutes. The issue is due to size he does not PK and he is not on the PP. Plenty of 5v5 ice time.

Too small for the playoffs but a good player. Ideally the Bruins move on this offseason due to his size. Elite, elite skater and transition however.

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022

A bottom pairing defenseman that has been playing with Charlie Mcavoy for the last 2-3 years? I guess Mcavoy is a bottom pairing defender as well.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Whoever gets him gets a bargain. He is an elite five-on-five retriever of the puck and puck mover who can play on any pairing and is serviceable on the pp. Except for 2019, he has been bad in the playoffs. Unfortunately, his diminutive size and high salary lower his trade value considerably. The Bruins will not get equal value here.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I doubt they move Gryz at this point. I would have earlier if it meant clearing space for a big upgrade at Center or resigning Orlov. Him and McAvoy have played together the majority of their careers and have been pretty much lights out. Gryz gets knocked because of his height but he’s a really solid two way dman. if we are selling at the deadline then probably a 2nd and 3rd would be my guess on return.

64197BD7-A5D2-423F-85A1-742DCFFB93E5.jpeg

Reactions: Over the volcano

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It sounds like the Bruins should keep Gryz until the deadline. You've got to make the playoffs and you've had enough turnover already. Then ideally Lohrei is good enough to call up and you can move Gryz for a playoff style player.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr and SPV

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
These numbers are PLAYOFF GF% at 5 on 5. Not “expected goals” or Corsi or anything fancy, just what actually happened. It’s better than using +\- because it removes all the empty net / special teams weirdness.

Chara/McAvoy 5 on 5 GF%
2016/17 - 2019/2020 - 47%

Gryz/McAvoy 5 on 5 GF%
2017/2018 - 2022/2023 - 50%

Gryz has some much much worse numbers playing with John Moore, Carlo (when Gryz had the bad shoulder vs Carolina) and Lauzon that drive down his overall numbers.

His fancy stats are excellent in the regular season and the playoffs. His on ice actual results in the playoffs get really dragged down by the periods he was being asked more than he was capable of (e.g. carry #7D like Moore and Lauzon) when injuries thinned out the D group.

I dunno, he is a weird player. He and McAvoy are really good together. I bet he would be awesome in Chicago with Seth Jones. Like Chicago should be ALL OVER THIS, but if Chicago is bidding against themselves will the Bruins get anything worthwhile out of the deal? I doubt it.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Can I buy a vowel?
no

I doubt they move Gryz at this point. I would have earlier if it meant clearing space for a big upgrade at Center or resigning Orlov. Him and McAvoy have played together the majority of their careers and have been pretty much lights out. Gryz gets knocked because of his height but he’s a really solid two way dman. if we are selling at the deadline then probably a 2nd and 3rd would be my guess on return.

View attachment 749778
It really is maddening how good they are as a pair in the regular season, then come playoff time management splits em up and the team underperforms.

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Some of the posters on the Sharks board, myself included, are pretty high on him. Not sure if we would pay a 2nd for him in our current situation though, we'd probably just wait until he hits the UFA market.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

wheels1

Jul 2, 2006
I don't think the B's are really interested in moving Gryz. The extra cap room would be nice, but at this point of the season is fairly useless. It's very rare that teams planning for a playoff run deal away D. Lohrei isn't ready yet, and you trade Gryz.... 1 injury or Lohrei showing that he's not ready and your season is pretty screwed.

That said, with other teams' cap situation there aren't a lot of teams that could deal for a player without sending salary back.
Lohrei is 100% ready.

These numbers are PLAYOFF GF% at 5 on 5. Not “expected goals” or Corsi or anything fancy, just what actually happened. It’s better than using +\- because it removes all the empty net / special teams weirdness.

Chara/McAvoy 5 on 5 GF%
2016/17 - 2019/2020 - 47%

Gryz/McAvoy 5 on 5 GF%
2017/2018 - 2022/2023 - 50%

Gryz has some much much worse numbers playing with John Moore, Carlo (when Gryz had the bad shoulder vs Carolina) and Lauzon that drive down his overall numbers.

His fancy stats are excellent in the regular season and the playoffs. His on ice actual results in the playoffs get really dragged down by the periods he was being asked more than he was capable of (e.g. carry #7D like Moore and Lauzon) when injuries thinned out the D group.

I dunno, he is a weird player. He and McAvoy are really good together. I bet he would be awesome in Chicago with Seth Jones. Like Chicago should be ALL OVER THIS, but if Chicago is bidding against themselves will the Bruins get anything worthwhile out of the deal? I doubt it.
It's not about the return, it's about cap space and allowing Lohrei to play.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

wheels1

Jul 2, 2006
Whoever gets him gets a bargain. He is an elite five-on-five retriever of the puck and puck mover who can play on any pairing and is serviceable on the pp. Except for 2019, he has been bad in the playoffs. Unfortunately, his diminutive size and high salary lower his trade value considerably. The Bruins will not get equal value here.
They aren't looking for equal value. And his salary isn't high.

wheels1

Jul 2, 2006
They should always look for equal or better value, but that putz, Sweeney always puts himself in a place where he has to settle for less.
You might think that but just look at the Hall/Foligno trade, they gave them away to get rid of the money, I'd expect the same out of a Forbort trade and maybe for a Grizz trade too.

That's funny to you? Ok.
Lohrei is 100% ready.

It's not about the return, it's about cap space and allowing Lohrei to play.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
You place more weight in a couple of exhibition games than I do. Even then... he did some good things but also showed some weaknesses in his own end.

He's not 100% ready.
Agreed, Lohrei is definitely providing some hope for the future. But there is also the defensive end of things where he needs a fair share of work and refining. There is no need to rush this kid. And he NOT 100% ready.

Reactions: quietbruinfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad