Matt Grzelcyk wins Beanpot for BU

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Its a great event.

Was wondering if nepotism led to the picks of 2 of our prospects and then seconds later Grizz unleases one of the best shots I've ever seen.

Benning looked like he'll be a nice college player for the next 2 seasons and looked to have good size but he'll have no offense at the next level.

Benning was nothing more than a project when he got drafted. His first Dev Camp was just brutal. He couldn't skate and looked overwhelmed and lost.

He came into Dev Camp last year and was one of the best in camp. He stuck to Fitzgerald like glue which was awesome to see. Northeastern has been fantastic for his development. He's a long shot for the pros IMO but he'll be solid down in Providence.

Honestly, I think the only thing nepotism did was give the scouts a chance to watch these kids closer than maybe they would have otherwise. Fitzgerald and Donato have enough talent to be drafted on their own merits. If anything, they were grilled even more than Ferlin or even Subban.

So happy for Grizz. He came into the season coming off a nasty shoulder injury and to see him be even better than before is a testament to his work ethic and sheer desire to play at the elite level.

Dev Camp won't be the same once these guys make the jump to Providence lol

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
It was huge that for the first time the Beanpot was seen in Canada live. That will only help increase awareness of US college hockey there.

11004350_10205276428442952_61352645_n.jpg

Yep, my father (RIP) attended RPI and scored the OT winner bringing the University it`s first Championship waaaaaaaaaay back in 54/55 and they didn`t win another until a kid named Adam Oates led them to another in 85 so my appreciation for US College hockey goes back a long way as Dad and I used to travel down for alumni weekends for many years

No clue why games, up to this point have been so neglected but this year, there`s far more options (not just the Beanpot) to check out NCAA games which has been great

RPIBruin

Nov 9, 2005
Shrewsbury
Yep, my father (RIP) attended RPI and scored the OT winner bringing the University it`s first Championship waaaaaaaaaay back in 54/55 and they didn`t win another until a kid named Adam Oates led them to another in 85 so my appreciation for US College hockey goes back a long way as Dad and I used to travel down for alumni weekends for many years

No clue why games, up to this point have been so neglected but this year, there`s far more options (not just the Beanpot) to check out NCAA games which has been great

It's been way too long :( RIP to your father.

And that was a fun game last night.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I have to say I never really aprrciated college hockey until my boy went to UMass.
Now whenever I'm out there we try to take in a game.
I love the atmosphere and energy those kids bring. Its a fun night out.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Benning was nothing more than a project when he got drafted. His first Dev Camp was just brutal. He couldn't skate and looked overwhelmed and lost.

He came into Dev Camp last year and was one of the best in camp. He stuck to Fitzgerald like glue which was awesome to see. Northeastern has been fantastic for his development. He's a long shot for the pros IMO but he'll be solid down in Providence.

Honestly, I think the only thing nepotism did was give the scouts a chance to watch these kids closer than maybe they would have otherwise. Fitzgerald and Donato have enough talent to be drafted on their own merits. If anything, they were grilled even more than Ferlin or even Subban.

So happy for Grizz. He came into the season coming off a nasty shoulder injury and to see him be even better than before is a testament to his work ethic and sheer desire to play at the elite level.

Dev Camp won't be the same once these guys make the jump to Providence lol

Really good post I think you said it best about them being watched closely so the organization felt more comfortable with what it was drafting later which is always a crapshoot. Thanks for the info on D camp.

Trotman has seen the ice for us this year too so we aren't doing awful with the 7th rounders.

I actually don't think its entirely nepotism either has to do more with grass root problems with the game in our area leading to few kids being drafted from here who aren't from hockey families. Obviously the Bruins are going to draft a higher percentage of those few MA players than a west coast team since former NHLers living in the area likely played for the Bs. Just sort of ironic seeing the same kind of politics at the NHL level you see in local town youth leagues. (Oh I know his dad I can't not pick him.)

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
I have no personal stake in the Beanpot but I love watching the games every year. Happy Grzelcyk had a good game, but I ****ing hate when BC or BU win this thing. HATE IT.

I cheer so hard for Harvard and Northeastern every year, someday soon they will win one...should've been this year.

Since 1993, Harvard and NU have each gone to OT in the final three times and lost every one. One thing is for certain: whatever the matchup, the final usually delivers a hard-fought game. Seven of the last twelve have gone to OT.

Now BU and NU get to play a home-and-home this weekend, with the Terriers looking to win the regular season title outright and the Huskies vying for a first-round bye. Only one point separates third-place UMass-Lowell from seventh-plave UVM.

http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/index.php

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Hey, 1 down 1 to go hes from here and only cares about delivering a Beanpot and a National Championship in his one and done. Got to root for the local kids when it comes to the real tournament and the Frozen Four is at the Garden. Even though Im not a BU fan I will be rooting for them this year far more than I normally would (unless they play my Friars) when usually i wouldnt care if they got bounced by someone like the Souix or Gophers.

There would be something wrong with him if he didn't like getting drunk and snapping chicks he wants to bang hes 18 years old.

Last edited:

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Dumbass decision on his part. Real dumbass.

Wally, you're acting like you've never made dumbass decisions as a kid before. :laugh:

It's funny. I'm willing to bet (in fact, just go read any damn guy's autobiography) that hockey players their age have ALWAYS been doing this stuff. You're telling me Bobby Orr or Derek Sanderson never chugged a beer at 18 or did stuff to try and hook up with chicks? The only difference is that in today's day and age, the media is down your throat and you can't say or do anything bad and have to be a poster child. So what, somebody is filming him. You would too if you're hanging out with a future NHL superstar. People still did that, except instead of photos and videos, they only have their memories to re-tell.

I'm sick of the media trying to crush all of these kids' images these days. The people reporting them are trying to be perfect angels. It's stupid. All the kid is doing is leading the NCAA in scoring as an 18 year old freshman, leading his team to a Beanpot Championship, and about to cap it off with a run to an NCAA title. But yeah, keep focusing on stupid things like these.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Dumbass decision on his part. Real dumbass.

Maybe it turns you off but it makes me like him more. I like Dustin Johnson more after the bs witch hunt on him and his suspension because he liked to party and liked nailing married tour hotties on the side. He probably wouldn't have disgraced himself at the Ryder Cup like most of the US team did. Noones perfect I like having a good time too.

Buffalo is a GREAT drinking town bars stay open until 4am I think its a good decision on his part if it makes the fans like him because he said he wanted to play there months before the draft. Its not like many athletes have ever publicly stated that they wanted to play in Buffalo...

Hes going to be our thank you to Western NY for Gronkowski.

Just my own opinion of course.

Lots of people can party during their free time and remain functioning members of society.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Wally, you're acting like you've never made dumbass decisions as a kid before. :laugh:

It's funny. I'm willing to bet (in fact, just go read any damn guy's autobiography) that hockey players their age have ALWAYS been doing this stuff. You're telling me Bobby Orr or Derek Sanderson never chugged a beer at 18 or did stuff to try and hook up with chicks? The only difference is that in today's day and age, the media is down your throat and you can't say or do anything bad and have to be a poster child. So what, somebody is filming him. You would too if you're hanging out with a future NHL superstar. People still did that, except instead of photos and videos, they only have their memories to re-tell.

I'm sick of the media trying to crush all of these kids' images these days. The people reporting them are trying to be perfect angels. It's stupid. All the kid is doing is leading the NCAA in scoring as an 18 year old freshman, leading his team to a Beanpot Championship, and about to cap it off with a run to an NCAA title. But yeah, keep focusing on stupid things like these.

Doesnt make it any less a dumbass. Regardless of who may have done what before him....or with him.

I'd be surprised if he didnt, along with his teamates, sign something about no underage drinking as being part of the team. If he did, he should be reprimanded. I would if I was the coach.
Its the principle of what is your word worth.

But thats me.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
theres a video of him saying buffalo i'm coming for that ass and chugging a beer too. pretty funny.

guess he's just another seguin though :sarcasm:

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Doesnt make it any less a dumbass. Regardless of who may have done what before him....or with him.

I'd be surprised if he didnt, along with his teamates, sign something about no underage drinking as being part of the team. If he did, he should be reprimanded. I would if I was the coach.
Its the principle of what is your word worth.

But thats me.

No, it doesn't make it any less a dumbass. But who said that people aren't allowed to be dumbasses in life?

And its likely that he did sign something like that. And sure, he should take responsibility and the coach should reprimand him. But its stupid, petty things like this that the media tends to hold over guys like this, which is asinine.

My point never was that everybody does it, who cares, he shouldn't get in trouble. It's just that it shouldn't be blown out of proportion, like it ALWAYS DOES. The media is treating this stuff like it's never happened before and that he is a bad seed. Big deal, he's acting like a kid, and he's messed up. Move on. Let the team deal and the coach deal with it internally. It's when the media makes fake clickbait news stories like this, that teams and coaches get pressured to take unnecessary action due to unnecessary pressure.

Sorry, that sort of stuff just ticks me off.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
refs gotta put the whistles away in ot, or least make sure someone loses an arm or leg before they call one.

dah! i'm just bitter because my huskies have come so close so many times with nothing to show for it. I thought winning the beanpot was the norm when i was there and seeing them win it 3 times. Can't believe the droughts been 27 years and counting.

Agree awfull call

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad