Matt Greene

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
Leafs fan here, wondering about Matt Greene. What are the odds that he resigns with the kings? Or is it likely he walks as a FA this year? You think he's capable of playing top 4 minutes, or is he just a bottom pairing pk dman?

Ron*

We gotta keep him. Our defense is already a problem with RR in one of the top 6 positions. No way we can let another veteran walk.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Leafs fan here, wondering about Matt Greene. What are the odds that he resigns with the kings? Or is it likely he walks as a FA this year? You think he's capable of playing top 4 minutes, or is he just a bottom pairing pk dman?

It may be naive to say it, but its really hard to imagine a guy like Greene walking away voluntarily. The current team has really been built around guys committed to sticking together for the long haul and thats why most of the core members have contracts that reflect that. With Mitchell in the twilight of his career, I'd be shocked if there isn't a 3-4 year extension for Greene on the table by the start of the year.

That being said, he certainly could get a nice paycheck and play top 4 minutes elsewhere if he did so choose.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I doubt the Kings let Greene go anyway. Very few prospects like him in the system, and NHL teams don't trade guys like him.

Greene/A-Mart is actually the only bright spot so far for the Kings (defense has been awful).

Greene will be extended.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
They'll re-sign Greene. Mitchell is likely the one to go. Hopefully Regehr too...

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I doubt the Kings let Greene go anyway. Very few prospects like him in the system, and NHL teams don't trade guys like him.

Greene/A-Mart is actually the only bright spot so far for the Kings (defense has been awful).

Greene will be extended.

Tell that to Edmonton :sarcasm:

In all honesty, as long as Greene doesn't want anything unrealistic, he should be extended. He's done well in his role and he's very physical, much more so than any other Kings D-man other than maybe Regehr, and he's starting to lose it anyways.

Unless Greene is seeking north of $3.5 million a season, which I can't see him having the grounds for, then he'll be back. I think $3 million a season will do for him on a three year deal. If he wants four years, I'd do that too, but that's the max I'd do.

stonedhenge

Jun 29, 2010
Geez no more than 3 years for Greene. He could turn into Regehr soon. And he is overpaid already IMO, so I hope no raise for him. Who is paying 3M+ for bottom pairing stay at home D?

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Geez no more than 3 years for Greene. He could turn into Regehr soon. And he is overpaid already IMO, so I hope no raise for him. Who is paying 3M+ for bottom pairing stay at home D?

Just about Everyone in the league is......Defense-man are expensive.

Matt Greene's cap hit is 2.9 million, he would probably be extended in the 3.5 range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad