Matt Frattin

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Penner was in Sutter's doghouse for a reason, he played lazy, had little to no work ethic shift after shift, game in , game out.
That's something that Sutter wont' tolerate and Penner deserved to be benched for that reason
Frattin has struggled to score and I think a lot of that is tied to the fact that he has not been able to establish a steady rhythm with the same linemates. But lazy he's not, he hustles every shift and I hope in time will get a real line with the same linemates that will help him settle into his role on the 3rd line.

I'm pretty certain we were discussing which of Frattin or Penner was mistreated by their fanbase, and NOT why Penner was in Sutter's doghouse, of which I totally disagree with you.

You're confusing results with effort. Penner played hard. He just never got the results. It's amazing how the same lazy Penner as you describe is doing so well wit the dux.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Pretty pleased to see the level of support Frattin's getting here. I'm high on the guy, and I think he will look good for us down the line.

That said, I do question how the knee injury recovery is going. He was really good for Toronto before he hurt his kneee, so maybe he just doesn't have the strength in it yet. Plus adjusting to a new team, teammates, conference, etc.

Also, someone brought up his team worst for forwards plus minus. It should be kept in mind he was a -5 after the first four games of the season. Since then, he's a -2 in the next 15 games, so that stat is misleading.

He's not brought what I thought he would yet, but I'm willing to give him a further look before really worrying to much.

Last edited:

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
He's close and I think as the season goes, we'll see him playing at a higher level. You can see that the kid has ability, sometimes it just takes a while. Maybe a few more games with Richards will get him going. Richards tends to make everyone he plays with (King) better.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
There's a lot of players that are good players but won't have success in the King's system. Do we really want to continue giving him opportunities over Vey, Toffoli and Pearson who seem to be fitting better?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Whenever someone mentions his horrid +/- I feel it necessary to mention that more than half of that was in the first 5 games of the year with Richards and Carter. Since then he's bounced around the lineup while playing on his proper wing and had flashes of excellent play without hurting us. In other words, exactly what a 4th liner should be bringing. I'm hoping he can produce a bit more soon because I think he could be a great 3/4 RW for us down the line.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
There's a lot of players that are good players but won't have success in the King's system. Do we really want to continue giving him opportunities over Vey, Toffoli and Pearson who seem to be fitting better?

How is he getting opportunities over those three right now?

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
How is he getting opportunities over those three right now?

The whole season before the injuries and going forward when players come back from injuries? Do you think Frattin is only playing because of injuries right now or the kids are only playing because of injuries? Should he even be playing over Carcillo at this point?

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
The whole season before the injuries and going forward when players come back from injuries?

Had nothing at all to do with training camp and the fact those guys could avoid waivers? Of the three, the only one who had a decent camp was Pearson according to many on this very board.

Toffoli especially deserved a ticket to Manchester. He certainly wasn't playing this hard in camp.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I'm pretty certain we were discussing which of Frattin or Penner was mistreated by their fanbase, and NOT why Penner was in Sutter's doghouse, of which I totally disagree with you.

You're confusing results with effort. Penner played hard. He just never got the results. It's amazing how the same lazy Penner as you describe is doing so well wit the dux.

I couldn't disagree more, I don't see how anyone could have watched Penner in the regular season the last couple of seasons and think that he played hard. It's not that he miraculously had better results in the playoffs, he actually started back checking and using his body much more on the forecheck, things he was simply not doing during the regular season. Frankly, I don't care what he's doing with the Ducks, he dogged it the vast majority of time in LA

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I couldn't disagree more, I don't see how anyone could have watched Penner in the regular season the last couple of seasons and think that he played hard. It's not that he miraculously had better results in the playoffs, he actually started back checking and using his body much more on the forecheck, things he was simply not doing during the regular season. Frankly, I don't care what he's doing with the Ducks, he dogged it the vast majority of time in LA

If Penner was half-assing it, do you really think that Sutter would have continued to play him? Yes, he's landed in Sutter's doghouse periodically, but I think it's safe to say that Penner probably played around 75% of all the kings games.

So, while we can ALL agree that Penner had almost no production during the regular season, and yet, according to you, he didn't even play hard, but Sutter continue to play him??? Doesn't sound like Darryl "holding players accountable" Sutter to me.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Sorry people but Frattin has been a huge disappointment. He was supposed to be a 2nd line compliment to Carter and Richards...granted he was moved to LW.

I am not happy with his play or production at all. Toffoli, Nolan, and Carcillo have all played better. Lewis has been the other crappy winger.

Bigges surprises this year have been King and Vey....biggest disappointments have been Frattin and Lewis.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
This comment of that he is struggling because of his place in the line-up or whatever is total bs. Nolan has 3 goals on the 4th line.

Frattin stinks. 20 games in. He sucks. Waste of a RW spot that can be going to TT when Carter is healthy.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Lewis is a responsible, energy player and not much more. I don't think any one logically expects more out of him.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I think Sandy Moger was more useful as a King than Frattin is today. Now how many of you even remember Sandy Moger? He has his moments where he creates something, but for the most part, I've been disappointed by how invisible and how much of a non-factor he has been thus far.

triplcrown

Jul 23, 2006
SF Valley, SoCal
Frattin's on pace for 15-20 points. That's about right.
The +/- is worrisome though. That should improve as he learns our
system better.

I never thought he was going to score enough to be a top-6er.

As long as his +/- goes up before too long, he'll be fine.

What I expect from this kind of player:
Around 20 pts and a solid +/-.

I like him on the 4th line with Vey and Nolan or Pearson.

Last edited:

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Frattin wasn't traded for/brought in to be a fourth line player.

If all Dean gets for the Johnny B trade is a fourth line plug/Backup Goalie +2nd round pick......I am going to be pissed.

Frattin better pick it up in these next 60 games.

Captain Mittens*

I think Sandy Moger was more useful as a King than Frattin is today. Now how many of you even remember Sandy Moger? He has his moments where he creates something, but for the most part, I've been disappointed by how invisible and how much of a non-factor he has been thus far.
Sandy "foot in the crease" Moger ! I remember when he Stumpel and Robitaille were our first line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad