Matt Frattin

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Kid has played 19 games in the system.

So far he has been a huge disappointment for me.

He has displayed none of the skills Lombardi raved about.

Frattin has 1 goal over his last 40 games (includes five playoff games).
Is a team leading -7 amongst forwards, hasn't recorded a shot on goal in his last two games.

Overall Sutter is reducing his ice time/role as well.

So what is going too become of this kid ? He is still only 25

HolyShot*

Lets just dump him like moulson and purcell et al. Surely hell never find chemistry with any other linemates.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I've seen flashes of speed and skill, but only flashes. There's a skillset there, but I honestly don't think Sutter is the coach to bring it out.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
Didn't he have knee surgery last season? Remember how bad Handzus was for a season after his? He was a much better player the next season. That's my best guess, hoping anyway.

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
With less than stellar ice time. And being constantly juggled at that. Give him some consistent ice time, with consistent line mates, and he might be...

Yeah... thrown out there on the left... banished to the 3rd/4th line and now plays with Stoll or Lewis...

Frattin does hit and play physical. He is also getting chances, Miller robbed him the other night. Didn't he also rip one that went off Williams or Richards and in? I would like to see him moved up to play with King/Richards. This would free up Toffoli to play with Pearson/Vey.... by doing this Lewis isn't with Pearson/Vey, and Frattin doesn't play with Stoll.... sucks for Carcillo and Nolan (from an offensive stand point), but Stoll and Lewis should be on the same line.

Maybe even try Pearson/Vey/Frattin... That is too many new players to the team so Sutter will throw Lewis on there to feel better.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I want him to succeed badly, but he looks lost out there. Then, when he gets lost out there he tries too hard to fix it and doesn't get much accomplished.

I don't know much about Toronto's system, but Frattin seems to struggle with the concept of the team moving up the ice as a group. I think once he understands where to be on the breakout and how the Kings like to come up with speed out of their zone, he'll start producing.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Something still tells me he'll come into his own if someone happens to get injured and he steps up. He could still be really intimidated by the whole thing and needs time to gel. Part of me was hoping he'd be like another Simmonds but that's not really realistic because they're totally different human beings. I'd say give him more time.

Oh and Trevor Lewis made that great play to draw that penalty on Brunner late. So I guess guys can still contribute without goals but its still a bit frustrating. I'm not too upset as long as the team keeps scoring 5 on 5.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I'll use Dean's logic: hopefully he has a mediocre year so we can have some major leverage when we negotiate a new contract after striking out on every major FA winger :laugh:

Trolfoli

May 30, 2013
Something still tells me he'll come into his own if someone happens to get injured and he steps up. He could still be really intimidated by the whole thing and needs time to gel. Part of me was hoping he'd be like another Simmonds but that's not really realistic because they're totally different human beings. I'd say give him more time.

Oh and Trevor Lewis made that great play to draw that penalty on Brunner late. So I guess guys can still contribute without goals but its still a bit frustrating. I'm not too upset as long as the team keeps scoring 5 on 5.

Yes you can contribute without scoring goals. Which would be why I said play Lewis with Stoll, in an attempt to limit the number of lines those 2 offensively handicap and not to trade him.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
I think it's a combination of finding a place in the roster / linemates, being a bit lost, and a tad snakebitten.

Hopefully he pots some goals here soon to kickstart himself because he's not firing on all cyclinders as of yet... or is this all he has in the tank?

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
I think it's a combination of finding a place in the roster / linemates, being a bit lost, and a tad snakebitten.

Hopefully he pots some goals here soon to kickstart himself because he's not firing on all cyclinders as of yet... or is this all he has in the tank?

I think he's got A LOT more. I feel like he hasn't even been hitting that much so he's probably just not comfortable yet.

Riposte!

Jan 25, 2006
Seattle
Disappointment total. He's always chasing the puck, one step behind. He always seems to close control of the puck when he's got it on his stick... His hits are strong, but they usually come well away from the play so they have no effect.

His best game was probably tonight against the Devils where he made a couple good dishes and had some speed to recover pucks, but man... Scrivens will clearly be the player that puts his mark on the team from that trade.

Vino

Mar 19, 2006
Finland
I want him to succeed badly, but he looks lost out there. Then, when he gets lost out there he tries too hard to fix it and doesn't get much accomplished.

I don't know much about Toronto's system, but Frattin seems to struggle with the concept of the team moving up the ice as a group. I think once he understands where to be on the breakout and how the Kings like to come up with speed out of their zone, he'll start producing.

You're thinking just like me. But I also think like Richie10.

I've seen flashes of speed and skill, but only flashes. There's a skillset there, but I honestly don't think Sutter is the coach to bring it out.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I would take this opportunity and have Frattin play on the 2nd line with Richards and King. This way, we can keep the kids line together and also give Frattin a true opportunity to see what he can do as a 2RW. And when Carter returns, we can trade Frattin for more than what he's worth now hopefully.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
he's probably just not comfortable yet.

new team, new division, new conference. its only ~20 games into the season. Penner was taking 65+ games off per season and didnt receive as much criticism as Frattin is getting. if he still hasnt found himself by December/January then that will be a problem

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
new team, new division, new conference. its only ~20 games into the season. Penner was taking 65+ games off per season and didnt receive as much criticism as Frattin is getting. if he still hasnt found himself by December/January then that will be a problem

You can't be serious. Frattin's had it easy compare to Penner. Fans had it for Penner from the get go, not to mention being in Sutter's doghouse.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Its like in school, you can't expect every student to learn in the same exact fashion because we're all a part of a giant wiring system connected by electricity, so the schematics won't be the same for everyone.

theMajor

Feb 9, 2012
Socal
You can't be serious. Frattin's had it easy compare to Penner. Fans had it for Penner from the get go, not to mention being in Sutter's doghouse.

ok maybe i was using a bit of hyperbole there but the hate he's getting isnt completely warranted, yet

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

Penner was in Sutter's doghouse for a reason, he played lazy, had little to no work ethic shift after shift, game in , game out.
That's something that Sutter wont' tolerate and Penner deserved to be benched for that reason
Frattin has struggled to score and I think a lot of that is tied to the fact that he has not been able to establish a steady rhythm with the same linemates. But lazy he's not, he hustles every shift and I hope in time will get a real line with the same linemates that will help him settle into his role on the 3rd line.

crazyaces**

Hey at least you guys got Scrivens + 2nd round to back up the Bernier trade!

To bad about Frattin, there was a time early last season, when frattin started the year, before he got injured the first 10 games he was dominant, and scored like 7 goals, and I think was PPG. but never got back to that place since.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad