Waived: Matt Ellis (CLEARS)

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I hope they are able to keep Ellis in the organization. Those who hate on him dont understand the need for guys like him

I don't get why people always want to grind that ax on players. He'd behelpful in Rochester, but you don't like him so by all means, let's just get rid of him.

It's not Ellis, it's Lindy! Think of Ellis as Hecht. When Lindy gets him and falls in love with him suddenly he gets way more minutes than he is worth and starts to play the last minute every period etc. etc. and bam. Hatred begins.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Glad Matt cleared. The Amerks could use the help, certainly aren't going to get it in trade....

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
With Girgensons possibly returning for the next game and the addition of Ellis to the team, who's exiting the lineup? I'd imagine Parker is probably tops on that list, but who else? Roy? Legault? Sundher has been hitting the scoresheet a bit, so I'd have to think they want to keep him in the lineup, especially because he's probably still seen as a viable prospect.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
With Girgensons possibly returning for the next game and the addition of Ellis to the team, who's exiting the lineup? I'd imagine Parker is probably tops on that list, but who else? Roy? Legault? Sundher has been hitting the scoresheet a bit, so I'd have to think they want to keep him in the lineup, especially because he's probably still seen as a viable prospect.

My guess would be Legault.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Rankin and Girgensons could be returning to the lineup tomorrow. With Ellis down now, Roy, Legault and Parker would come out. Sundher is definitely safe. His line is tearing up the league right now.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
Good news for Rochester, they got an immediate upgrade up front and I think good news for Buffalo as he can help teach young prospects along the way. Also good news for Ellis, now he gets to play big minutes every night.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
That's a pretty good forward lineup. Potentially adding Foligno, Armia, Grigs/Hodgson to the equation for playoff time, as well. It'll be interesting to see if they claim back Finley if the Isles expose him.

AmerksPuck

Nov 3, 2012
Rankin and Girgensons could be returning to the lineup tomorrow. With Ellis down now, Roy, Legault and Parker would come out. Sundher is definitely safe. His line is tearing up the league right now.

Ya, I am curious what they do here.

Sundher-Porter-Mancari
Adam-Ellis-Flynn
Rissmiller-Varone-Rankin
Tarnasky-Schofield-Girgensons

Obviously just a guess.

I'm not really sure if they would throw Girgensons on the 4th line even though that is where he belongs...we will see.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ya, I am curious what they do here.

Sundher-Porter-Mancari
Adam-Ellis-Flynn
Rissmiller-Varone-Rankin
Tarnasky-Schofield-Girgensons

Obviously just a guess.

I'm not really sure if they would throw Girgensons on the 4th line even though that is where he belongs...we will see.

I think they'd have a good excuse starting him there after a month off. They should work him back in slowly. And they're winning right now, so there's not a huge need to upset their balance.

AlexanderMogilny89

Oct 19, 2011
Someone claim him so this scrub never plays another game for the Sabres. Yeah he had effort, too bad he was so terrible his effort didnt matter. He isnt even a good 13th forward.You know if he clears Lindy will call him up at the soonest possible moment.

:nod: Lindy needs a vacation. The Sabres need a new coach.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
That's a pretty good forward lineup. Potentially adding Foligno, Armia, Grigs/Hodgson to the equation for playoff time, as well. It'll be interesting to see if they claim back Finley if the Isles expose him.

Tomorrow is the last of the 30 days where the Sabres have first rights to claim him. Then again there's only 7 teams below them to claim him anyway.

French Connection

Aug 16, 2007

It is not a coincidence the team has played better after JF's departure. Sabres fans just love beating a dead horse after a player has moved on.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
It is not a coincidence the team has played better after JF's departure. Sabres fans just love beating a dead horse after a player has moved on.

It was a confluence of a lot of things. Adding Pardy helped a lot. Then they added Rissmiller at forward. Toronto lost a lot of talent, including one of the better AHL vets around in Aucoin. And now the Amerks have a pretty good vet core in guys like Porter, Mancari, Rissmiller, Pardy, and even someone like Adam is practically a vet at that level now. They're just a good AHL team as currently constituted.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
:handclap:

With Ellis, Rissmiller, and Pardy, the Amerks are looking pretty strong. Some teams lost a lot more talent to the NHL and weren't as equipped to replace it. Defense is still a concern, though. Hopefully McNabb has a strong finish to the season.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Well Matt Ellis helps out the Amerks quickly - his two minute tripping penalty in the first period "sets up" a shorthanded goal by Phil Varone. The Amerks lead Erie 2-0 after the first period. Ellis was also on the ice for the first Amerks goal (scored by Frederick Roy) and he has one shot on goal. His linemates are Frederick Roy and Patrick Rissmiller and is wearing #37 - same number he wore with the Sabres.

Update #1: Amerks lead 3-0 after 2 periods. Crawford went top shelf on the power-play. Ellis had one shot on goal in the second period - he has won at least five face-offs.

Update #2: Amerks win 4-1 - Varone empty netter accounted for the Amerks third period goal - he finished with two goals and two assists. Ellis finished the game with one shot (had a shot taken away?) was a plus one and of course had a two minute tripping penalty. Next game for Ellis and the Amerks - Friday night at home vs Houston Areos.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Thought this was interesting from Bill Hoppe:
The Sabres are 106-66-25 with Ellis in the lineup.

I'm not sharing this to show that Ellis wins NHL games, rather just to say that he hasn't been detrimental to the organization playing limited minutes as a 12-15th forward.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
Thought this was interesting from Bill Hoppe:
The Sabres are 106-66-25 with Ellis in the lineup.

I'm not sharing this to show that Ellis wins NHL games, rather just to say that he hasn't been detrimental to the organization playing limited minutes as a 12-15th forward.
I don't think Matt Ellis is detrimental at all, but the problem (this year especially) is we have too many Matt Ellis's - Ellis, McCormick, Scott (aside from fighting abilities), Gerbe (while he recovers from injury), Hecht (now that the years are showing) are all players that are hard workers but don't bring anything beyond that to the team, which in combination makes the team weaker imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad