Value of: Matt Dumba

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I don't believe that for a second. RNH, lousy season/6M/yr contract and all, is worth significantly more than Dumba. Dumba has shown flashes of being something really good, but as of now he is not there. Anyone getting him would be betting on his potential....which isn't a bad bet, but still a gamble.

If that was indeed the deal, the Fletcher has some explaining to do.

I also don't get why Dumba is worth a Coyle. Coyle has been playing top6 minutes for 3 years now, and brings size and strength that Dumba will never have. Dumba still isn't playing top4 minutes-partly because of the guys ahead of him( hint, someone needs to be traded)- and partly because he just isn't steady enough.

I'm citing from memory but I believe Russo said he wouldn't add to Dumba because he was also taking on cap with RNH.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
He's not being shopped. Those are the pieces we want if other fans come asking otherwise we will keep Dumba.

Exactly. We added Staal as a stopgap. Not ideal but it is what it is... We'll keep our D corps intact and see how the season plays out

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
I'm citing from memory but I believe Russo said he wouldn't add to Dumba because he was also taking on cap with RNH.

I seem to remember that too; also it appeared as though the Oilers were playing games with the Wild and that left a sour taste with Fletcher. The offer was Dumba for RNH and Chiarelli wouldn't give the Wild a thumbs up or down answer but kept shopping for more from other teams. It almost appeared as though he was keeping them hanging as a last resort. The Wild got fed up and moved on.

I'm not a huge Dumba fan but I will say with Stevens coaching the defense my expectation is he hits the 15 goals, 40 point plateau next season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I have honestly never seen the appeal of Matt Dumba.

Call me crazy or based or whatever, but I've always thought that Derrick Pouliot was the better PMD and will show as much as soon as he gets his shot in the NHL, whether that's in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
I have honestly never seen the appeal of Matt Dumba.

Call me crazy or based or whatever, but I've always thought that Derrick Pouliot was the better PMD and will show as much as soon as he gets his shot in the NHL, whether that's in Pittsburgh or elsewhere.

you will see that you are crazy this season. Dumba is going to be given free rein. What makes you think Pouliot will be the better D? What basis? I can't really argue i guess as I've no exposure to him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
you will see that you are crazy this season. Dumba is going to be given free rein. What makes you think Pouliot will be the better D? What basis? I can't really argue i guess as I've no exposure to him.

Pouliot's been better and more productive at every previous level (WHL and internationally), mostly because (IMO) he had a higher hockey IQ.

I think if their teams were reversed, their NHL fortunes would be too.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Hope he gets a nice gap contract and proves himself worthy of protection in the expansion draft.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I like his skating and his shot from the point.

Everything else seems sketchy to me. As a RHD with a big point shot however, his value will always be there.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
Pouliot's been better and more productive at every previous level (WHL and internationally), mostly because (IMO) he had a higher hockey IQ.

I think if their teams were reversed, their NHL fortunes would be too.

i'll take your word for it. i could be misremembering, but weren't the winterhawks a much better team? perhaps the situation may have been reversed in the WHL? That could have an influence on scoring. Again, I know next to nothing about Pouliot. Also many Wild fans would be with you before last year. Dumba really showed great improvement...and it's not like he was getting big minutes either. edit: and decision making was a known red flag when we drafted Dumba. his physical tools were worth it though. Brent burns looks as dumb as a hammer hockey-sense wise, but well worth it.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'd say it's a little more common for a 22/23 year old forward to be at least closer to what he is, than a 21/22 year old defenseman. But that's what everybody has their own opinion on and the deciding factor in whether or not the deal is a good one for both teams: by how much can RNH still improve vs. how much Dumba can, and what's the likelihood of each?

Barker, Schenn, Bogosian, Myers, Cowen, Gelinas are all examples of D men regressing after their 22 yr old season. Point being, I don't see why there's any increased or decreased likelihood of progression based on age or position. You have to look at the individuals. Both seem to be good natured, hard working young men. I expect both to continue progressing, though there's more room for growth in Dumba's game because he's still a bit raw and further from his projected ceiling. That just means Nuge is more established and tested playing a larger role, not sure why that would be used as a negative against him.

I like Dumba, but I wouldn't move Nuge straight up for him. I'd want Haula coming back as well. I don't blame Minny fans if they weren't interested, but I wouldn't move Nuge for less. The NHL is a copy cat league, and the cup winning team just proved how important it is to have 3 lines that can score. I like what we have in:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Maroon-Nuge-Puljujarvi

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
really won't be able to say for sure what kind of value he has until he's thrown into the fire with more minutes and tested in all situations. I'm guessing we'll see the new staff testing him early this season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
i'll take your word for it. i could be misremembering, but weren't the winterhawks a much better team? perhaps the situation may have been reversed in the WHL? That could have an influence on scoring. Again, I know next to nothing about Pouliot. Also many Wild fans would be with you before last year. Dumba really showed great improvement...and it's not like he was getting big minutes either. edit: and decision making was a known red flag when we drafted Dumba. his physical tools were worth it though. Brent burns looks as dumb as a hammer hockey-sense wise, but well worth it.

It could have...except it emphatically didn't when Dumba was actually traded to the Winterhawks. Pouliot was still the team's #1 defenseman and outscored him 32 to 18 during their playoff run together. Ditto with the WJC.

Dumba's made good with his chance in the NHL though, and there's obviously merit in that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like his skating and his shot from the point.

Everything else seems sketchy to me. As a RHD with a big point shot however, his value will always be there.

He's somewhat physical, and is an underrated passer in the offensive zone, with an aggressive mentality. He is also decent or better at skating the puck in the neutral zone, and will probably improve in that area as he continues to adjust and adapt to the NHL.

It remains to be seen what he can do in the D zone...he can make some good plays at times, then does sloppy and risky things at others.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I like Dumba, but I wouldn't move Nuge straight up for him. I'd want Haula coming back as well. I don't blame Minny fans if they weren't interested, but I wouldn't move Nuge for less. The NHL is a copy cat league, and the cup winning team just proved how important it is to have 3 lines that can score. I like what we have in:

Not a chance Minnesota moves Haula after what he showed. He was first on our team in points/60 and was close to if not our best player for the last 1/3 of the season. I think he can absolutely be a top 6 center that's elite defensively.

Combo that with RNH breaking his hand, getting concussed, having a much larger cap hit than Haula AND the cost of Dumba and it's not even remotely close to being worth it. Don't even know why Edmonton would move RNH. You've got a perfect combo in McDavid-RNH down the middle and the versatility in Draisaitl to play center or wing. You just got a 1st pairing dman (basically a Brodin clone from what I've heard).

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
The question i ask is who are the Wild planning on protecting in the upcoming draft. That's going to influence the trade value of their Dmen. Suter, spurgen, scandella, Brodin, Dumba seems like one too many.

If MIN loses one of Brodin/Scandella they still would have a very good TOP-4. And there's a chance that LV will pick up Zucker, who's a hometown boy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad