Value of: Matt Duchene

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Duchene is streaky, I’m not sure about the putting up points when it’s too late though, I don’t remember that narrative as an avs fan. The main thing in my opinion with Duchene is he has a hard time finding chemistry with other skilled players. If you want Duchene to really shine, in no way shape or form should Hoffman be traded. Finding a player that really works with Duchene can be difficult. For the avs, he was tried with many players, but he really only worked super well with Mueller (before he got concussion problems) and Fleischmann. He also worked with ROR, but he worked with everybody.

I agree with everything you say here. Duchene is not a perfect player, that much is obvious. No need to BS in order to make the argument, though (as you clearly show in your post).

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
I agree with everything you say here. Duchene is not a perfect player, that much is obvious. No need to BS in order to make the argument, though (as you clearly show in your post).
I’ll go through the numbers later, but I don’t remember Duchene piling up points once the avs were eliminated from playoff contention, his streaks are more random. I would definitely stress the Hoffman point though, if you find a winger he gels with you gotta keep him. Duchene plays a puck hog kind of game, he really excels with guys like Hoffman that know how to get open and shoot. That’s really all they have to do he does the rest down low.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh ,I dont think Duchene will move,Him and Stone are likely resigned and will form the core of our forward group moving forward....Ottawa has had some issues for sure this season...But we sill have some good pieces on the roster and in the pipeline,that could see us coming out of the basement sooner rather than later

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
I want both Duchene and Hoffman... only prospect not on the table is Robert Thomas. so that leaves:

2018 1st ( :jets )
2019 1st

Robby Fabbri (C/LW)
injured.gif

Jordan Kyrou (C/RW)
Klim Kostin (C/W)
Jordan Schmaltz (D)
Ivan Barbashyov (C/LW)
Tage Thompson (C/RW)
Zach Sanford (C/LW)
Sammy Blais (LW)
Jake Walman (D)
Niko Mikkola (D)
Jordan Binnington (G)

MUST ADDS FOR CAP:
Patrik Berglund (C)
Carl Gunnarsson (D)

What would the :sens like?

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I want both Duchene and Hoffman... only prospect not on the table is Robert Thomas. so that leaves:

2018 1st ( :jets )
2019 1st

Robby Fabbri (C/LW)
injured.gif

Jordan Kyrou (C/RW)
Klim Kostin (C/W)
Ivan Barbashyov (C/LW)
Tage Thompson (C/RW)
Zach Sanford (C/LW)
Sammy Blais (LW)
Jake Walman (D)
Niko Mikkola (D)
Jordan Binnington (G)

MUST ADDS FOR CAP:
Patrik Berglund (C)
Carl Gunnarsson (D)

What would the :sens like?
TBH as good as the prospects look ,its honestly the last thing Ottawa needs,we have a decent pipeline ,with a potental lottery pick on the way...What we need is good young nhl players...By trading away both Hoffman and Duchene ,for more picks and prospects,we will just compound our current issues

Reactions: BangarangxRufio

BangarangxRufio

I Blues'd Myself
Nov 29, 2016
STL
TBH as good as the prospects look ,its honestly the last thing Ottawa needs,we have a decent pipeline ,with a potental lottery pick on the way...What we need is good young nhl players...By trading away both Hoffman and Duchene ,for more picks and prospects,we will just compound our current issues

Understandable. Then Duchene alone, what would you be looking for from the list?

GoGoSens

Oct 27, 2017
He wont be traded, The sens can not afford to lose anymore center depth.

Also the price t hey paid for him they just can not give him up and save face with the fans.

Until Brown and White Develop into top 6 centers hes with the sens to stay.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Problem with the Sens is where do they go? Are they rebuilding or restructuring? Duchene is streaky and is living up to the hype on his talent. Stone is among the best Wingers in the league. Sens need to resign both players more than EK which my feeling will decline as he ages.

I think the Sens should simply rebuild. Keep the 2018 draft pick. EK traded for a nice haul. Duchene given the Captain, maybe he'll stay. Stone & Hoffman extended, even if they overpay. Let the youngsters play, even if this results in a high 2019 draft pick, it'll be for 1 year anyways.

Sens are in the weakest division in the league, so a quick turnaround is possible. Make the sacrifice and start the rebuild.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don’t think they can unless they can find a way to get at least what they paid. The only way he moves is if he refuses to talk extension which I don’t expect will happen.

It would have to be quite a bit, especially with an extension. He obviously had a horrid start to the year as he shook off whatever came over him during the latter part of his tenure with the Avs, but has been producing very well for the Sens for about two months now. And his speed, skill, tenacity, and defensive acumen are a very rare package. He’s still really young, too. Whoever gets him will probably get at least 6 more great years out of him.

His early season stats in Colorado were fine. He didn’t go ice cold until the second he put on a Sens sweater. It isn’t like the Avs destroyed him and the Sens rehabbed him.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Problem with the Sens is where do they go? Are they rebuilding or restructuring? Duchene is streaky and is living up to the hype on his talent. Stone is among the best Wingers in the league. Sens need to resign both players more than EK which my feeling will decline as he ages.

I think the Sens should simply rebuild. Keep the 2018 draft pick. EK traded for a nice haul. Duchene given the Captain, maybe he'll stay. Stone & Hoffman extended, even if they overpay. Let the youngsters play, even if this results in a high 2019 draft pick, it'll be for 1 year anyways.

Sens are in the weakest division in the league, so a quick turnaround is possible. Make the sacrifice and start the rebuild.

The Division is weak granted but the top 3 teams are not

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I think Karlsson will be dealt at the draft with Ryan which will give Ottawa a 1-3 good young players or prospects who are close, draft picks, and most notably free up money.

In spite of the "he doesn't want to be with a rebuilding team" storyline that keeps being referenced, I very much think Duchene and Stone will buy into what is sold to them as a short re-tool and re-sign big 7-8 year contracts as Ottawa's new headlining players.

If things don't work out that way, it is what it is. The Senators can't lose Duchene for nothing just because they won't get back a package as good as what they initially gave up.

When you look at the kind of packages Sakic was rumoured to have turned down, if Duchene is open to talking an extension with another team, Ottawa can probably get enough back that so long as they don't end up handing COL a top 3 pick, they'll recoup enough of what they gave up.

One that comes to mind is the rumoured Hamonic+Islanders 1st offer. Maybe someone else can weigh in on whether it's been proven true or false, but Hamonic was dealt for a 1st and two 2nds. So if Sakic were to flip Hamonic, the package would have ended up being two 1sts+two 2nds. That's still less than OTT 2019 1st+OTT 2019 3rd+NSH 2018 2nd+Kamenov+Girard+Bowers, but something in that value range would help the Senators recoup a sufficient amount of what they gave up (So long as their 2019 pick doesn't end up as a top 3 pick).

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Just hearing him speak, he loves being in Ontario, his home province. Duchene is resigning with the Sens guys, like it or not.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Just hearing him speak, he loves being in Ontario, his home province. Duchene is resigning with the Sens guys, like it or not.

While I agree Duchene will re-sign, Duchene loved Colorado, his favorite childhood team but he wanted to play "meaningful" hockey more than anything.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I think Karlsson will be dealt at the draft with Ryan which will give Ottawa a 1-3 good young players or prospects who are close, draft picks, and most notably free up money.

In spite of the "he doesn't want to be with a rebuilding team" storyline that keeps being referenced, I very much think Duchene and Stone will buy into what is sold to them as a short re-tool and re-sign big 7-8 year contracts as Ottawa's new headlining players.

If things don't work out that way, it is what it is. The Senators can't lose Duchene for nothing just because they won't get back a package as good as what they initially gave up.

When you look at the kind of packages Sakic was rumoured to have turned down, if Duchene is open to talking an extension with another team, Ottawa can probably get enough back that so long as they don't end up handing COL a top 3 pick, they'll recoup enough of what they gave up.

One that comes to mind is the rumoured Hamonic+Islanders 1st offer. Maybe someone else can weigh in on whether it's been proven true or false, but Hamonic was dealt for a 1st and two 2nds. So if Sakic were to flip Hamonic, the package would have ended up being two 1sts+two 2nds. That's still less than OTT 2019 1st+OTT 2019 3rd+NSH 2018 2nd+Kamenov+Girard+Bowers, but something in that value range would help the Senators recoup a sufficient amount of what they gave up (So long as their 2019 pick doesn't end up as a top 3 pick).

Duchene loves being close to home, but he wants to play meaningful hockey as well.

He did accept below market value to stay with the AVs and never complained when O'Reilly made demands in excess of Duchene's salary. Should he resign, he needs to understand the direction of the team. Melynk is not necessarily the best owner and trying to save a few $$$ at every chance is not a positive impression that he might leave.

However, Duchene is a tremendous fan favorite with the AVs for his honesty and character. He will let the team know well beforehand of his intentions and do what is best to improve his marketability. A sign and trade is not totally unreasonable to improve the trade return for the Sens.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad