Value of: Matt Duchene

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
It would have to be quite a bit, especially with an extension. He obviously had a horrid start to the year as he shook off whatever came over him during the latter part of his tenure with the Avs, but has been producing very well for the Sens for about two months now. And his speed, skill, tenacity, and defensive acumen are a very rare package. He’s still really young, too. Whoever gets him will probably get at least 6 more great years out of him.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I would imagine it would take a 1st, a 2nd & top prospect.
A Montreal fan I know believes Max Pacioretty would earn a bigger return but I think Duchene is worth more.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
It would have to be quite a bit, especially with an extension. He obviously had a horrid start to the year as he shook off whatever came over him during the latter part of his tenure with the Avs, but has been producing very well for the Sens for about two months now. And his speed, skill, tenacity, and defensive acumen are a very rare package. He’s still really young, too. Whoever gets him will probably get at least 6 more great years out of him.

Why would Duchense be worth quite a bit. The guy was a non factor for two months after his arrival. He has gone Rick Nash and put85% of his stats in two weeks after Ottawa is well out of it. That is all you need to know.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I would think something similar to what Brassard got. Maybe a little bit more if an extension is in place.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Why would Duchense be worth quite a bit. The guy was a non factor for two months after his arrival. He has gone Rick Nash and put85% of his stats in two weeks after Ottawa is well out of it. That is all you need to know.

Meh he was a force when he got to Ottawa. Was playing great hockey, was crazy unlucky to have 6 points in the 24 games or whatever it was. He kept his play up and eventually the production followed, it’s been more than two weeks, closer to three months. 31 points in his last 31 games.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You don't follow hockey do you.

Lol lets here how much better Duchene is then Brassard.

Dutchy is the single streakiest player in the entire NHL. Oddly enough is hot streaks seem to always come when there's absolutely no pressure on him to do well, like when his team is already well outside the playoff picture and has nothing left to play for.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I 've watched every Sens game the last 2 years. Duchene is quite a bit better than Brassard.. Duchene's skills with the puck are much better. Duchene's ability to win board battles is much better. Duchene's ability to drive offense is much better , Ducheme shoots off the rush better. He was snake bit when he first got to Ottawa... but his game was the same as it is now. Finally Boucher left the lines alone and didn't have them in a constant blender and he has found some chemistry with Hoffman.

Stats don't tell the whole story at all.. To me Duchene vs Brassard ... not close .

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

2 weeks? No. See post #7.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I 've watched every Sens game the last 2 years. Duchene is quite a bit better than Brassard.. Duchene's skills with the puck are much better. Duchene's ability to win board battles is much better. Duchene's ability to drive offense is much better , Ducheme shoots off the rush better. He was snake bit when he first got to Ottawa... but his game was the same as it is now. Finally Boucher left the lines alone and didn't have them in a constant blender and he has found some chemistry with Hoffman.

Stats don't tell the whole story at all.. To me Duchene vs Brassard ... not close .

You've only had Duchene on your team for 6 months...

You really should listen to Avs fans when we tell you it wasn't him being "Snake bitten" early on with the Sens. That's the player he is. He goes through extended streaks where he'll do absolutely nothing production wise and it might look like he should be producing but it's not a matter of being snake bitten. He's just extremely streaky and the lows snowball out of control because the guy is severely lacking in the mental side of the game.

You'll see over time. It's just the player he is. He'll get 20 points in 20 games, and then get 5 points in his next 40 games, and then another 20 points in the last 20 games when things dont actually matter anymore. Rinse and repeat every year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You've only had Duchene on your team for 6 months...

You really should listen to Avs fans when we tell you it wasn't him being "Snake bitten" early on with the Sens. That's the player he is. He goes through extended streaks where he'll do absolutely nothing production wise and it might look like he should be producing but it's not a matter of being snake bitten. He's just extremely streaky and the lows snowball out of control because the guy is severely lacking in the mental side of the game.

You'll see over time. It's just the player he is. He'll get 20 points in 20 games, and then get 5 points in his next 40 games, and then another 20 points in the last 20 games when things dont actually matter anymore. Rinse and repeat every year.

I did not say I watched Duchene with the Sens for 2 years.. You should have been able to figure that out all by yourself... Streaky .. sure I can buy that. My points on comparing him to Brassard still stand imo. I am not sure about the " when it doesn't matter any more" position you've taken. He is a player selected to play on Team Canada in games where every goal every minute matters so ... Please post the splits in his scoring to show us what you mean about him scoring when it doesn't matter . 6/8 years the Avs did not make the playoffs. His first year , he had 3 pts all assists in 6 games in the playoffs as a rookie.. Do you give him a break that year or is that one where he did not produce when it mattered. In 2013/14 he played 2 playoff games and had 3 assists.
2016/17 finished 2nd in team scoring
2015/16 1st
2014/15 tied 3rd in pts
2013/14 1st
2012/13 2nd
2011/12 played 58 games injured
2010/11 1st
2009/10 3rd (rookie)
Seems to me there were likely other factors effecting the Avs than Matt Duchene. I am interested to hear some specifics though

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Duchene's doing well as of late. if Ottawa trades him I'm hoping they get a 1st, good defenseman and prospect in return.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
As a Flames fan, I wouldn't mind the acquisition of Duchene, I'd put up an offer of Dube (our top C prospect), Fox (2nd top D prospect) and another prospect? I don't think the owner would want Calgary going 3 years straight without a 1st, kinda wish we had the 1st conditional on Hamonic (based on playoffs) but it wasn't up to me :/

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I did not say I watched Duchene with the Sens for 2 years.. You should have been able to figure that out all by yourself... Streaky .. sure I can buy that. My points on comparing him to Brassard still stand imo. I am not sure about the " when it doesn't matter any more" position you've taken. He is a player selected to play on Team Canada in games where every goal every minute matters so ... Please post the splits in his scoring to show us what you mean about him scoring when it doesn't matter . 6/8 years the Avs did not make the playoffs. His first year , he had 3 pts all assists in 6 games in the playoffs as a rookie.. Do you give him a break that year or is that one where he did not produce when it mattered. In 2013/14 he played 2 playoff games and had 3 assists.
2016/17 finished 2nd in team scoring
2015/16 1st
2014/15 tied 3rd in pts
2013/14 1st
2012/13 2nd
2011/12 played 58 games injured
2010/11 1st
2009/10 3rd (rookie)
Seems to me there were likely other factors effecting the Avs than Matt Duchene. I am interested to hear some specifics though

You are arguing with the authority on Matt Duchene. He literally wrote the book on Matt Duchene. So don't bother man. Brassard is better for sure.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
something tells me that duchene is going to be testing the ufa waters. I thought when he was traded to ottawa he would resign but the direction the team is going i really doubt he'll re up there after all the time he was with colorado.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
IMO Dutchy is clearly a better player than Brassard.

He is extremely streaky. 20 games 25 points, next 20 games 7 points. Then when he finally scores a goal after 15 games he does his thing where he throws an imaginary monkey off his back.

I expect him to score 55-60pts if he plays full 82 games. Low low end 1C, ideally your great 2C or top line RW who takes the face-offs.

I can't see him sticking around if/when Ottawa rebuilds. No way. His value is hard to gauge, depends whether he immediately signs with the team that trades for him or not. If he is traded and he immediately signs an ~6,5-7,5M x 5-6 years deal with the club he heads to, he will bring a lot of assets back to Ottawa.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Duchene's doing well as of late. if Ottawa trades him I'm hoping they get a 1st, good defenseman and prospect in return.
Well, the devil is in the details, namely;

1- What 1st?

2- what "good defenseman"?

3- what prospect?

To me, he's worth a Jonas Brodin or a Matt Dumba, signed to a contract right around 6M(not saying the Wild would do that). Both are extremely legit, youngish, top 4 Dmen, one of whom is signed to a 4.1M/yr, deal, another TBD. Duchene would probably want a 7/45M contract, but will get a 6/36M, unless he finds some desperate team.

Another, easier way to look at him is to ask if EDM would trade RNH for him, assuming that they could re-sign him to a 6/36M deal. I think that Duchene has been the better player, but RNH is younger.

Duchene had moments of brilliance in CO where he looked like the best player on the team, others where he looked like one of the best players, and some where you couldn't find him with a searchlight. He's a borderline 1/2C, who's best days are likely behind him.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Dutchy is the single streakiest player in the entire NHL. Oddly enough is hot streaks seem to always come when there's absolutely no pressure on him to do well, like when his team is already well outside the playoff picture and has nothing left to play for.

Weird - you guys were done with playing meaningful hockey by, like, the 7th game of the season last year and he had the worst season of his career.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Weird - you guys were done with playing meaningful hockey by, like, the 7th game of the season last year and he had the worst season of his career.
Duchene is streaky, I’m not sure about the putting up points when it’s too late though, I don’t remember that narrative as an avs fan. The main thing in my opinion with Duchene is he has a hard time finding chemistry with other skilled players. If you want Duchene to really shine, in no way shape or form should Hoffman be traded. Finding a player that really works with Duchene can be difficult. For the avs, he was tried with many players, but he really only worked super well with Mueller (before he got concussion problems) and Fleischmann. He also worked with ROR, but he worked with everybody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad