Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Duchene historically.

Horvat in the stat size you provided.
I mean outside of like 2 seasons Duchene has provided basically the same offense as Horvat, a touch more actually. But Horvat's defense makes him a similar level player.

After looking it up Duchene averages 60 points per season and Horvat averages 50. So the offense isn't that different. Duchenes talent level is far higher though, but he has almost never been able to consistently utilize his natural talent.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean outside of like 2 seasons Duchene has provided basically the same offense as Horvat, a touch more actually. But Horvat's defense makes him a similar level player.

After looking it up Duchene averages 60 points per season and Horvat averages 50. So the offense isn't that different. Duchenes talent level is far higher though, but he has almost never been able to consistently utilize his natural talent.

Duchene is the much better 5v5 producer versus Horvat who puts up a lot of his points on the PP.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Horvat's offense has probably been held back a little playing with poor wingers but his overall game is overrated because he's a tank with a defensive reputation, but his defense actually isn't very good and he doesn't use his size regularly. Duchene is inconsistent but is simply a better offensive player, especially 5v5, and a similar possession player. Duchene's only a year removed from 70 points in 73 games, where he nearly matched Horvat's entire point total at ES. I don't know if any other factors for Horvat make up for that, though it would be interesting to see him with a bit better players 5v5.

Last edited:
Reactions: CherryCoke

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Duchene is far more skilled, and if he had Bo’s guts would be the better player. As it stands now though I’ll take Horvat. Duchene must be frustrating to coach. He could be so SO good.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Duchene is the much better 5v5 producer versus Horvat who puts up a lot of his points on the PP.
Yup. For awhile Duchene was a top 10 ES producer IIRC, but he's never consistently been able to get more than ~60 points a year while also being pretty underwhelming off the puck.

Reactions: Gurglesons

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Yes, Duchene and his storied history of multiple seasons with Mark Stone.

If it wasn't Stone it was ROR/Landeskog. The dude has had his fair share of great wingers to play with. Horvat on the other hand has had a revolving door of Loui Eriksson, Sven Baertschi, Jake Virtanen and Antoine Roussel. The best winger Horvat has played with over a full season is Tanner Pearson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If it wasn't Stone it was ROR/Landeskog. The dude has had his fair share of great wingers to play with. Horvat on the other hand has had a revolving door of Loui Eriksson, Sven Baertschi, Jake Virtanen and Antoine Roussel. The best winger Horvat has played with over a full season is Tanner Pearson.

Neat. Duchene put up 50 5v5 pts with David Jones and Hedjuk in his sophomore year. He played 20 minutes with ROR out of RORs 1000 at 5v5.

Keep trying though. I love Horvat and watch a ton of Canucks and was all aboard them being a dark horse last year largely in part because of how good Horvat is.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

As an Avs fan, Duchene always had the bad wingers to play with. He had ROR during one season on his wing and they were awesome. But other than that he had guys like Fleischmann/Mueller, McGinn/Parenteau, etc... Almost never played on a line with Landeskog despite playing on the same team for so long.

That said, I'd easily take Horvat today. But Duchene has been a better player historically.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Duchene is a locker room cancer. Even if his production is a little less moving forward, it’s Horvat.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Rookie Boeser was Horvat's best regular linemate Though he did score at a better rate 5v5 that year while used as the defacto #1 than he has the past 2 (a 1.86 P/60 compared to 1.54 and 1.65). That's still lower than what Duchene scored this year in Nashville (1.93) and considerably less than what Duchene scored with Ottawa and Stone (2.84). I don't think a reasonable rise in Horvat's production with better linemates gets him to the numbers Duchene has typically put up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad