Matt Duchene opens up

Brio

Oct 17, 2013
Love the responses. Also another bonus for Duchene, he was at a golf tourney for charity near his hometown the past summer and my mom's coworkers son was there. Got his pic with Dutchy and Duchene ended up winning the grand door prize or whatever and he donated it/ gave it away. Something like that. A little fuzzy on the details but, being around the same age as him... he is very mature compared to other people my age.

http://www.mindentimes.ca/2013/08/07/random-act-of-kindness-gives-girl-big-boost

It's actually much better than that as the linked article above shows. This, among many other things, shows what a class act Duchene is.

Last edited:

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
http://www.mindentimes.ca/2013/08/07/random-act-of-kindness-gives-girl-big-boost

It's actually much better than that as the linked article above shows. This, among many other things, shows what a class act Duchene is.

Yeah I know about this! But I'm talking about something else. My mom just clarified that he won a day on a cigar boat with Mike Holmes or something like that and gave it to someone who is a big fan of his. Not as touching as the bruins jersey story, but still a very nice gesture

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Also a comment on facebook on a picture of the lady's son with Matt, older people are commenting how they can't believe he plays hockey with how humble and kind he is. Really impressive. He's my favourite player right now.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Apparently there is no doghouse with Roy. So what exactly is the situation with Barrie?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'd still call it a doghouse

Why? He's not, apparently, upset at Barrie, it's just that Barrie wasn't playing well and we need to ice the best possible team to win every game.

Sacco had a doghouse, and it was obvious who was in it.

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
I'd still call it a doghouse

To me it sounded like Sacco would just bench you when you messed up whereas Roy will sit and try and help you not be bad. Instead of shunning you away as a punishment, he works with the players?
He's not keeping Barrie in the doghouse just because he thinks our other dmen are better right now

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
So he reveals he was playing with a few broken bones in his ankle in his 3rd year, to go along with a bad knee injury. No wonder he struggled.

And damn, he ragged on Sacco pretty hard, without actually saying his name. Basically said the team knew they were going to fail after other hot starts because they knew they weren't playing the right style to win games.

Said he and Stastny have talked about what they want, and now they have it.

And Dater is really an idiot. That last question was painful, took him a minute to spit it out.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Listening to Dater right now. He seems to insult Duchene constantly, like he can't help it when phrasing a question.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
So he reveals he was playing with a few broken bones in his ankle in his 3rd year, to go along with a bad knee injury. No wonder he struggled.

And damn, he ragged on Sacco pretty hard, without actually saying his name. Basically said the team knew they were going to fail after other hot starts because they knew they weren't playing the right style to win games.

Said he and Stastny have talked about what they want, and now they have it.

And Dater is really an idiot. That last question was painful, took him a minute to spit it out.

You can tell with Stastny. I think it took Stastny a bit longer to actually get the confidence back that we can compete because he's been around a losing culture for so long, but the past few games he's been one of our best forwards.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Can't listen to this right now but really looking forward to it. Duchene is the best interview. Very articulate and honest. Love his confidence too.

Dater is such a moron for writing that article about Sacco today saying not everything is his fault and the players just connect to Roy better but no mention about any system changes when that's all the players have been referencing for weeks.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good stuff from Duchene as usual.

But that was hard to listen to. Dater stuttering throughout the entire interview taking forever to get his words out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Good stuff from Duchene as usual.

But that was hard to listen to. Dater stuttering throughout the entire interview taking forever to get his words out.

All of Matt's stuff was great, but it's excruciating listening to Dater interview people. He has to go all over the map letting the guy he's interviewing know that he knows the reasons for the answer they're about to give him, and then he goes on to get things wrong and insult them anyway, like saying Matt was a scratch. Takes him an hour and a half just to get a question out. You can tell he's way too concerned with how he portrays himself during interviews rather than just asking questions, and ironically that's what makes him come off poorly. Duchene displayed a pretty high level of patience in that interview to go along with some good insight.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Omg Dater is annoying. Is he hammered when he does the interview? If i was Matt i would have gotten up and left. Ughhh his voice is grating.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Dater isn't a radio/tv guy so his delivery isn't going to be the best. There are plenty of things to fault the guy for (twitter ranting about he team he is a beat reporter covering for example) but I think it's a good thing he's trying to create extra content with more in depth stuff, especially in a market that doesn't produce a lot of Avs content. If it means small annoyances while listening to it, so be it.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Very good interview. Instead of always bashing Dater why don't you give him some credit for actually taking the effort to make it and actually having enough respect from the players to have them participate in a podcast. I mean you all listened to it, and you would not have done so if it was not for Dater. Perhaps he does not always phrase his questions in the most elegant way, but the Dater-hate is extremely boring and repetitive.

member 116861

Very good interview. Instead of always bashing Dater why don't you give him some credit for actually taking the effort to make it and actually having enough respect from the players to have them participate in a podcast. I mean you all listened to it, and you would not have done so if it was not for Dater. Perhaps he does not always phrase his questions in the most elegant way, but the Dater-hate is extremely boring and repetitive.

It's his job to do this kind of stuff and he rarely does it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad