Matt Duchene opens up

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
http://milehighsports.com/2013/09/30/the-lead-matt-duchene-opens-up/

Sorry if old, stumbled across this and it's a nice read on Duchene.
Didn't see it posted anywhere so thought I'd link it.

Anyways, this shows how down to earth he is. Talks about his struggles in his down year, how he was in a downward spiral of dissapoinment with himself and dealing with it all, etc. Also talks about Roy and Sakic, and how he even tries mentoring younger guys as much as he can.

It angers me a bit knowing how much he cares and how little support/advice he must have been recieving over his time in the Sacco era.

This guy bleeds burgundy and blue. Sometimes, I wish he was our captain (although landy is a good choice too). But now it's too late.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
"I was in shambles. I couldn’t look myself in the mirror at times. It was tough. I blamed myself first for everything that went wrong. There’s a lot of things now, as I look back, that I wish I would have let myself off the hook for because there were a lot of things that were out of my control. But, I do think it is better to be that way than to make excuses. I had to re-evaluate myself and what I was doing and involve myself with different people."

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Assuming Cody will be out for at least next game, who gets his A? I know EJ has had it in the past but it has to be Matt IMO, the time is just right. WIth his play last year and this year, and his off ice maturity and demeanor, he's earned it.

Radar continues to exemplify on ice leadership too, but Duchene deserves the honor first I think.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Assuming Cody will be out for at least next game, who gets his A? I know EJ has had it in the past but it has to be Matt IMO, the time is just right. WIth his play last year and this year, and his off ice maturity and demeanor, he's earned it.

Radar continues to exemplify on ice leadership too, but Duchene deserves the honor first I think.

Agreed

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Duchene is face of the franchise and will be here for long-time. Give it to Duchene. He's deserved it in every way. :yo:

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

What are his chances, on the big ice, of playing in Sochi?

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Matt Duchene on the Fan now.

-Never played on a team that has had a different gameplan for every game for every part of the game

-Past plans was to just play your game and hope for the best

-Lots of pre-scouting

-Believes MacKinnon has done what he's needed to do so far, Roy trying to ease him into defensive responsibilities

-PAP top line guy on any team in the NHL

-Really likes PAP

-Downie, hard working funny guy who can get side tracked sometimes

-Allaire has worked a lot with Varly, has only changed a bit of Varly's style

-Duchene's dad was a goalie which is what sparks his interest in goaltending, spends some time paying attention to what the goalies have been doing

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Craig Button said he would have Duchene as one of his 13 forwards for Team Canada if he keeps this up. He said Duchene has taken it to another level this season and that's "Olympic level". He would be a great addition to the team and to Crosby's wing.

I thought he had no shot coming into the season because there are so many great Canadian centers and forwards but a few people are talking about it now. It would be great to have another Av represent Canada at the Olympics. He obviously needs to keep playing at this level but him training with Crosby could help him as well.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd actually be surprised if Duchene does not make Canada's roster. Him starting well certainly helps but I thought that even before the season started. I think him establishing a relationship with Crosby is huge. Crosby has pull on that team and they were only developing chemistry for a month plus of working out together every day. Duchene and Crosby even went to a local rink in Calgary to work out together after the team Canada camp up there. Duchene will have to make it as a winger but yeah it wouldn't even surprise me to see him on Crosby's wing and not just the 13th or 14th forward. As long as Duchene plays well he makes it, I don't even think he has to keep up his current torrid pace, but just keep playing well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
http://www.850koa.com/media/podcast-the-dave-logan-show-davelogan/1016-matt-duchene-avs-23850037/

Duchene interview worth a listen. He really gets pretty honest about what he thought of Sacco's systems. Starts at 10 minute mark.

"Patrick knows what kind of team we have so he's not going to coach us to be a slow, simple, and conservative defensive team with the talent we have. That makes no sense at all and that's the way we were playing before. It just didn't work for us the last 4 years."

"Now we really work on our offense and what we're going to do when we have the puck in terms of scoring goals and not just trying to not get scored on. That's what we were doing before, just playing so simple and safe to not get scored on."

*Shots fired*

165109932.0_standard_352.0.jpg

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
Love the responses. Also another bonus for Duchene, he was at a golf tourney for charity near his hometown the past summer and my mom's coworkers son was there. Got his pic with Dutchy and Duchene ended up winning the grand door prize or whatever and he donated it/ gave it away. Something like that. A little fuzzy on the details but, being around the same age as him... he is very mature compared to other people my age.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
"Patrick knows what kind of team we have so he's not going to coach us to be a slow, simple, and conservative defensive team with the talent we have. That makes no sense at all and that's the way we were playing before. It just didn't work for us the last 4 years."

"Now we really work on our offense and what we're going to do when we have the puck in terms of scoring goals and not just trying to not get scored on. That's what we were doing before, just playing so simple and safe to not get scored on."

*Shots fired*

165109932.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Also, I nominate this as post as gold.

achillesheel

Feb 26, 2010
Sens Fan here -

Duchene is probably my favorite non Sen at the moment. Love what the Avs have and are doing right now.

BOL this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad