Dreger: Matt Duchene Mega-thread:Habs, NSH, NYI, OTT inquired - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I don't know anything about the source, but maybe he thinks that Poluck, Strome and a first is what Sakic wants, where really wants Hamonic, Barzal and a first.

Personally I'd love Barzal and Hamonic for Duchene and call it a day, but I don't think Isles fans would wanna take that.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Congrats! You are probably the first and only person who has ever said that or ever will about Joe Sakic! That Gordie Howe was a real dick too right?

Listen, islanders fans are going to be upset. Especially if there is a hint of suspicion that Snow was willing to give up the asking price.

Snow is lambasted by the fanbase, getting duchene would do a lot for his image and I think the fan base needs this type of blockbuster.

Like I said, I absolutely understand Sakic waiting and not pulling the trigger. Doesn't remove the anger of it not going down.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
If that report is true, Sakic is just going to make things more difficult for himself. He can play some games now, but it's going to come back to bite him if he keeps it up.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Avs want to rebuild and need to fix their defense. No Lee really does not fit the bill when it comes to wanting to do those two things.

Islanders have way more use for Lee than the Avs would.

Does not make sense to trade Duchene for Lee as one of the main pieces coming in return. Especially when you already have Landeskog, Rantanen, Jost and Greer who will probably all end up being wingers for us if we get one of Patrick/Hischier and maybe even Mittelstadt in the draft...

Lee is way more valuable to the Islanders than he would be to Colorado right now. So him being included in a deal does not make all that much sense IMO..

Lee would be your best forward. Dude are you aware the avalanche are an absolutely terrible team with all of their "talent" imploding? Take a hike bro

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Lee would be your best forward. Dude are you aware the avalanche are an absolutely terrible team with all of their "talent" imploding? Take a hike bro

He would be our 4th or 5th best forward depending on how one would rate rookie Rantanen (and I rate him pretty highly)..

Don't be so upset.

I still think Tavares will re-sign although it might get harder if Snow can't get anything done at the deadline right now...

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
I don't know anything about the source, but maybe he thinks that Poluck, Strome and a first is what Sakic wants, where really wants Hamonic, Barzal and a first.

Personally I'd love Barzal and Hamonic for Duchene and call it a day, but I don't think Isles fans would wanna take that.

I'd take that all day. Think Isles would have to add a first though.

DriftEasy

Jan 16, 2016
If Islanders offered the asking price (which I don't think they did, Gallof is no insider) then Sakic would honestly be an idiot to turn it down.

1) Getting what he wanted (which is astronomical)
2) Duchene's value is only going to go down (simply due to contract)
3) Avs likely aren't going to compete during Duchene's contract (people may disgaree but I think it's a fair point).

Just don't see Sakic not accepting if Islanders actually have offered asking price. Only reason I can see is if someone will offer a better package, but honestly? Can't see that being likely due to the price.

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island
He would be our 4th or 5th best forward depending on how one would rate rookie Rantanen (and I rate him pretty highly)..

Don't be so upset.

I still think Tavares will re-sign although it might get harder if Snow can't get anything done at the deadline right now...

5th best? wow...I don;t know much about avs but you know nothing about Islanders.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
If I'm Sakic I have literally no pressure on me. Ownership does not give a **** about the team so Sakic can do what he wants. With that being said Sakic is 100% doing the right thing by waiting. Every team has an eye on the expansion draft so there's gonna be packages we like, but can't protect or vice versa.

At the end of the day the worst case scenario is that he sells for to little and we throw this rebuild further back. Colorado is holding onto someone who is going to be valuable for the next 2 years at the very least and do not have UFA pressure to sell him.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014

Don't be so upset.

im done with this. I legitimately cannot. Lee is the second scoring forward in the entire league in goals since November. Try harder, brah.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
If Islanders offered the asking price (which I don't think they did, Gallof is no insider) then Sakic would honestly be an idiot to turn it down.

1) Getting what he wanted (which is astronomical)
2) Duchene's value is only going to go down (simply due to contract)
3) Avs likely aren't going to compete during Duchene's contract (people may disgaree but I think it's a fair point).

Just don't see Sakic not accepting if Islanders actually have offered asking price. Only reason I can see is if someone will offer a better package, but honestly? Can't see that being likely due to the price.

There is also a chance that the original asking price simply is no longer up to date.

Maybe a team like Nashville has said that they would beat that offer in the offseason but can't do it right now because they can't replace a few of those pieces going the Avs way before the offseason...

Or maybe Sakic simply does not have the balls to pull the trigger on Duchene right now or he simply made a mistake with his initial asking price.

Still think it is mostly about semantics of what the asking price really was and how each individual is valued by Snow or Sakic respecitively.

In the end the Avs will stand pat and the Isles go for one of Vanek/Flip/Sharp and maybe revisit it in the offseason.

@GTIslanders:

That is nice for him. Still don't think he is better than the few good players we have up front. Lets revisit that a year from now and see if this is more than a hot streak or not...

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
What is Hamonic worth to you guys?

Considering the absolute disrespect by avs fans towards him, hes worth more to us. Top 4 defenseman who logs heavy minutes on an amazing contract, who plays very physical in the playoffs. Hes no 5 ft 3 barrie though lmfao

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I mean before the trade he's behind Landy, Dutchy, Mack, and maybe Rantanen, but Rantanen will for sure be better than him eventually.

Agreed, but we are shipping Dutchy out so he'd be our 4th best, that might not seem great to the Isles, but the separation between our 4th best forward and our 5th is rather large. I'd say we have 4 first liners and the rest are maaaaybe third liners, likely 4th. Point is really great though as I don't see Lee coming back.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Considering the absolute disrespect by avs fans towards him, hes worth more to us. Top 4 defenseman who logs heavy minutes on an amazing contract, who plays very physical in the playoffs. Hes no 5 ft 3 barrie though lmfao

What on earth are you on about? Who disrespects him? Adding him just makes no sense for the Avs.

But then I see you guys saying Lee would be our best forward so your post is pretty much par for the course with the rest of the nonsense that is being spewed in here.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City

Sounds to me a frustrated fan who is mad not getting Duchene here. Poor little you.:pout:

SouCHe

Jul 14, 2013
This deadline doesn't mean **** when it comes to trading Duchene.

Eh except that the end of the season + playoffs add to his value? This summer, it will be only a 2 year rental, not a 2 year rental + a playoff run... The way these trade talks seems to have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs stay stucked with Duchene up until the 2019 deadline. Let's see if you guys get a Hamonic or a Sergachev then. :popcorn:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I'm pretty sure the biggest "disrespect" we've given to Hamonic is that his age doesn't line up with our rebuild. He's cleary an elite #3 shutdown guy, but we would prefer to get someone younger and more potential since we have prospects who look like they should be fine middle pairing guys.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Easy now, I never said he wasn't valuable and you're also comparing him to a completely different player so obviously Hamonic isn't but he also won't put up 50+ points. I think Hamonic would be great on our team a solid 3/4 dman and that's something the Avs could use.

DriftEasy

Jan 16, 2016
There is also a chance that the original asking price simply is no longer up to date.

This is possible but I think unlikely. Duchene's asking price was already really high. Can't imagine it going any higher tbh.

Maybe a team like Nashville has said that they would beat that offer in the offseason but can't do it right now because they can't replace a few of those pieces going the Avs way before the offseason...

Again possible, but I'd say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Nashville might have said this is the case but there's no guarantees at all. It's risky, at best, to rely on "we'll make a better offer at another time".

Or maybe Sakic simply does not have the balls to pull the trigger on Duchene right now or he simply made a mistake with his initial asking price.

Could be but I would say you likely don't get to be GM for very long without th ability to make these kind of deals when necessary.

Still think it is mostly about semantics of what the asking price really was and how each individual is valued by Snow or Sakic respecitively.

In the end the Avs will stand pat and the Isles go for one of Vanek/Flip/Sharp and maybe revisit it in the offseason.

Agreed, but I genuinely think that teams will be less willing to pay a big asking price in the offseason. Duchene's value will go done, simply due to less time on his contract. Sakic has to make a move eventually and the window to get the type of return he wants isn't going to be there forever.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Eh except that the end of the season + playoffs add to his value? This summer, it will be only a 2 year rental, not a 2 year rental + a playoff run... The way these trade talks seems to have been going, I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs stay stucked with Duchene up until the 2019 deadline. Let's see if you guys get a Hamonic or a Sergachev then. :popcorn:

The horror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad