Matt Duchene is going to score 40 goals this season.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
He kind of was said to have been cooked and a cap dump the past few seasons. I was surprised to see he is currently sitting at 38 goals and on pace for a 90 point season. There has been basically 0 talk about this guy having a career resurgence.

I saw him score this goal last night which prompted me to look at the season he was having

Maybe the quietest season in the league?

Reactions: Kaner9

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Wish the ending with the avs was a bit better, but I’ll always be a fan of his.
Good for him, the guy always had superstar talent and his effort was never a problem as well, it was always the mental side of the game that he struggled with.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
OP's right though, Duchene is a top-10 goal scorer and nobody is talking about it. For that matter, Forsberg is top-20 in points per game as well. Throw in Josi and Saros, Nashville has some phenomenal individual seasons going on.
and Jeannot, who could ending up 2nd in the league in hits, top rookie goal scorer, and being the first player in a very long time to have 25 goals, 15 fighting majors.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Good for him. Didn't realize the season he was having either. He's a great guy too. Usually the one to pick up the tab when he came out to eat with the sens in Ottawa after the games. Good tipper and knows his tequila!

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Shot 8% last year. 20% this year. The player he really is is right in the middle. Awesome year for him though.
His underlying numbers were pretty strong last season too. He had his typically high rate of individual shots and chances for. Finishing wasn't there though. It's there this year, probably unsustainably so.

I took him in a couple fantasy leagues banking on a bounceback (obviously not expecting to this extent).

Reactions: tucker3434

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Enormous difference in Duchene's game this year. He belongs on the wing for sure. He's having more puck luck too, but even beyond those things he's just using his teammates more and not making the same kind of dumb plays that made him the guy where the puck went to die like last year. He's a changed player. Hopefully he stays changed like this and doesn't revert!
:handclap:

hockeeyyy

Sep 29, 2017
Shot 8% last year. 20% this year. The player he really is is right in the middle. Awesome year for him though.
Look at the Predators top-four scorers. All have 20+% shooting. It kind of makes Josi's point gains a bit suspect.

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Lesson for fans is if you don't like how Duchene play in a season just wait a year or 2 lol

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
gonna go PPG for the second time in his career, great year. Hopefully he can stay cinsustent

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The thing that has always held back Duchene is consistency.

One year he will post 50 points, another year he's above a point per game. Duchene has all the skill in the world, it's the mental part of the game which never really came.

Neo Tolstoy

Feb 5, 2022
Apparently he worked through a lot of mental and emotional stuff in therapy, and he credits that for his improvement on the ice.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He's a player who I always felt should/could be elite, but never really quite was. This would be his first points per game season ever, at age 31, pretty impressive.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Good for Duchene. I seriously doubt he ever comes close to these numbers again, so it's nice to see the guy hit it like this at age 31.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The thing that has always held back Duchene is consistency.

One year he will post 50 points, another year he's above a point per game. Duchene has all the skill in the world, it's the mental part of the game which never really came.

I don’t think he could handle the mental pressure of being THE guy in Colorado. He really allowed his cold streaks to get to him because there was no one else to pick up the slack. So as he went, the team went. Whether that’s been resolved in Nashville is tough to say. He probably didn’t have many off nights while shooting 20%. But I could totally see him shortening up those cold stretches and becoming a consistent ~70 point guy for a few more years. That’s basically what he was brought in to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad