TSN Radio Matt Cauz is gone...

ChazzMichaelMichaels

Jul 10, 2014
I really miss the golden days of Macko & Cauz - leafs lunch - Hayes show

I know they wanted to push the OD crew to be on more and at a better time slot but that order just worked so well.

I like Cauz and enjoy his wit and humour, Wheeler was downright unbearable for me though.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I felt exactly the same about O-dog when he started with Hayes and Noodles. I think it is a bit natural for former players to get a bit overaggressive and overconfident on some subjects, probably because it hits close to home.

yes, when O'Dog got onboard I wasn't too impressed with the show however now I can't get enough of the guy lol. "Is there Ketchup on that?" :laugh:

Looks like Naylor and Landsberg are pushing their show past 9am for now.

I noticed that Leafs lunch may have started much earlier than usual too.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Cauz and Wheeler were the worst. I wish TSN didn't screw up their line up. It was the best with Mike Richards in the morning and then Leafs Lunch followed by the Brian Hayes show. I love the old LL crew but having ODog or Noodles try and talk about anything other than hockey is tough to listen to.

Agreed with all of this. TSN really did a number on themselves switching their lineup so much

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
i never understood the saying you can't have your cake and eat it too. why else would you have cake then?

eta: did they acknowledge the fact that Cauz lost the show?

The saying basically boils down to the following:

If you have the cake, then you haven't eaten it yet.
If you have eaten the cake, then you don't have it anymore.

You can have one, choose!

Also, if one were to ask about eating half the cake.

You don't have the cake and you haven't eaten the cake yet.
You have partially eaten the cake...
You've eaten part of the cake...

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
too bad they won't get rid of POS. Just his tone of voice grates on my nerves

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
If you want strictly sports news, listen to 680 at 15 and 45 for the sports updates. Even sports talk radio needs filler for the dead air and like them or not, those two guys definitely know how to entertain an audience whether it be on the boob tube or over the airwaves.

There's also only so much sports news to discuss and dissect in a day. If you stick to one radio station (my preference is FAN 590) you generally get the same topics.

Sure the guest interviews might be different, but there's only so many points you can make about last nights game or Babcocks decision on who starts in net or the standard player/team management say nothing interview *+before it starts to become drab and stale.

That's why I always liked Tim and Sid. It was a nice break from Blair and McCown's more serious take on things. Their humour is fun and it's a reminder that sports is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and it's ok to laugh about things.

Jay and Dan would be a similar show in that respects I would gather. It can't be hockey and serious all the time. It's refreshing to see genuine laughter and joy instead of the usual forced work laugh you usually see on sports talk shows.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
There's also only so much sports news to discuss and dissect in a day. If you stick to one radio station (my preference is FAN 590) you generally get the same topics.

Sure the guest interviews might be different, but there's only so many points you can make about last nights game or Babcocks decision on who starts in net or the standard player/team management say nothing interview *+before it starts to become drab and stale.

That's why I always liked Tim and Sid. It was a nice break from Blair and McCown's more serious take on things. Their humour is fun and it's a reminder that sports is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and it's ok to laugh about things.

Jay and Dan would be a similar show in that respects I would gather. It can't be hockey and serious all the time. It's refreshing to see genuine laughter and joy instead of the usual forced work laugh you usually see on sports talk shows.

Jay and Dan radio show would be nice. But I think they will go on TV.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Cauz had his moments, but I found him to be pretty mediocre. Wheeler was just insufferable and I'm glad I won't stumble across him again (I do with him all the best in his cancer battle).

I can't remember completely if it was Cauz, but I think it was him who said that the clothes he wears to work is what he stays in all day, even when lounging around the house. If it's a dress shirt and pants, so be it. That alone to me signalled he was an odd cat.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Am I the only one who is OK with Naylor and Landsberg?

No. I think Landsberg has really grown into his role and gotten really good at the radio thing now that he uses Naylor more as a springboard than a punching bag.

But I'm probably the only one who thinks the old Leafs Lunch gang's new Overdrive show sucks. Hayes is great, but his star potential in the prime time slot is being anchored down having to carry O'Dog and babysit Noodles.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I knew it.
that extra hr for Leafs Lunch makes it a lot better with the stuff they WANT to do (grades of the game, which still takes up too much time in segment imo), it just fit better.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Man it's hard to find a good sports radio show these days. These hosts seem to be shuffled in and out on an annual basis. The only shows I can listen to on a daily basis are Overdrive and Scott MacArthur. Leafs lunch is OK but I can't listen when Button is on.

When these companies are choosing their hosts I really don't think the listeners are taken into consideration. Who the hell would think personalities like Landsberg, Naylor, Cauz, Wheeler, Brady, etc would mesh well with Toronto sports fans?

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Man it's hard to find a good sports radio show these days. These hosts seem to be shuffled in and out on an annual basis. The only shows I can listen to on a daily basis are Overdrive and Scott MacArthur. Leafs lunch is OK but I can't listen when Button is on.

When these companies are choosing their hosts I really don't think the listeners are taken into consideration. Who the hell would think personalities like Landsberg, Naylor, Cauz, Wheeler, Brady, etc would mesh well with Toronto sports fans?

I personally don't have an issue with Button. I mean. I can respect that people don't. but Button doesn't bother me at all. Neither does Naylor for the most part.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I knew it.
that extra hr for Leafs Lunch makes it a lot better with the stuff they WANT to do (grades of the game, which still takes up too much time in segment imo), it just fit better.

I mean who'd of that more hockey talk would be a good thing in Toronto?

TSN makes things intentionally difficult for themselves. They try to re-invent the wheel, when in reality just having good hockey talk, especially when the Leafs are in a playoff race, will attract a ton of listeners.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
No. I think Landsberg has really grown into his role and gotten really good at the radio thing now that he uses Naylor more as a springboard than a punching bag.

But I'm probably the only one who thinks the old Leafs Lunch gang's new Overdrive show sucks. Hayes is great, but his star potential in the prime time slot is being anchored down having to carry O'Dog and babysit Noodles.

I don't think anyone can argue that Hayes' sports knowledge and ability to carry a show is in a different universe compared to Noodles and O'Neill, but these are only a couple of elements that go into a successful program.

I recall in the early days when it was only Hayes and Noodles. The show was informative as always but it was very vanilla and a bit boring. As soon as O'Neill joined the show he brought humour, unpredictable content, entertainment.... basically a completely different element to the show. He brought more of a fun blue collar personality which has hooked a whole different segment of the fanbase.

If you want grouchy, vanilla, monotone sports talk you can tune into Bobcat. If you want to laugh and be more entertained you tune into Overdrive. To each their own.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

The problem is there really isn't this plethora of competent radio personalities on stand-by ready to take over for all these personalities some of us don't like.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
With the constant overhaul of hosts, guesthosts, and analysts on TSN radio, how in the world does Steve Simmons still get to be heard? I've never changed the radio faster than when I hear that voice sometimes in the morning.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't think anyone can argue that Hayes' sports knowledge and ability to carry a show is in a different universe compared to Noodles and O'Neill, but these are only a couple of elements that go into a successful program.

I recall in the early days when it was only Hayes and Noodles. The show was informative as always but it was very vanilla and a bit boring. As soon as O'Neill joined the show he brought humour, unpredictable content, entertainment.... basically a completely different element to the show. He brought more of a fun blue collar personality which has hooked a whole different segment of the fanbase.

If you want grouchy, vanilla, monotone sports talk you can tune into Bobcat. If you want to laugh and be more entertained you tune into Overdrive. To each their own.

I enjoy O'Neill's role on Overdrive. I like his passion, his views as a fan himself, and he doesn't hold back. His knowledge on other sports obviously lacks, but at least he tries and can offer a take or two. I find that when it is just Hayes and O'Neill, it's a more natural show with better content. Noodles is the one who drives me bonkers and brings down the show for me. This is a usual conversation:

Hayes: "Bautista's home run...it was a leader who stepped up." *continual talk of Blue Jays*

Noodles: "We had a guy like that when I was in Calgary. Jarome Iginla. Perhaps you heard of him. When we needed a big goal, Iggy would always step up and lead the way."

Who cares Noodles?! Not everything has to be related back to hockey. "To bring this back to hockey..." should be trademarked by him.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I mean who'd of that more hockey talk would be a good thing in Toronto?

TSN makes things intentionally difficult for themselves. They try to re-invent the wheel, when in reality just having good hockey talk, especially when the Leafs are in a playoff race, will attract a ton of listeners.

i guess they wanted to make sure that Andi could handle a 2hr show? Not sure.

but honestly this is why i miss Hayes + the Boys, because 2-(and maybe 4 hrs if something BIG happened) of hockey talk is needed, esp. when it's leafs oriented.

so i figure you have general sports talk w/N+L, then why not have say 4 hrs of Hockey talk. 2 hrs of Leafs, 2 hrs general, then go into the Scotty show, then Overdrive.

ChrisCall

Jun 25, 2012
They were still better than the 1-4pm crap that other network has been running out there ever since the great Tim & Sid were sent off to the annals of who has time to actually turn on a TV during that time slot nowheresville.

The whole 1-4pm slot in Toronto is a sports black hole. Hopefully whatever comes next proves to be a solution.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad