Confirmed with Link: Matt Calvert signed to 3 year deal

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
With the loss of Dano, Anisimov, and Letestu, Calvert may be on the 3rd line + pk.

Top 8 is set (Saad, Johansen, Foligno, Jenner, Dubinsky, Atkinson, Hartnell & Wennberg). You have to figure Clarkson will get some middle 6 time as well (3rd line maybe), at least at first. So Calvert has that 4th line LW spot all sewn up next to Campbell. The only question is if Bourque or Boll play opposite of him.

That said, Calvert has held his own up in the lineup, often alongside Dubi. He'll see an increase in PK time with Anisimov and Letestu gone. Won't be surprised to see him average 14+ minutes a game for much of the year.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Top 8 is set (Saad, Johansen, Foligno, Jenner, Dubinsky, Atkinson, Hartnell & Wennberg). You have to figure Clarkson will get some middle 6 time as well (3rd line maybe), at least at first. So Calvert has that 4th line LW spot all sewn up next to Campbell. The only question is if Bourque or Boll play opposite of him.

Probably, but there is this think called injuries and Calvert is quite capable of playing higher up in the lineup.

Frankly I'm more interested to see what happens if we get a rookie to force our hand.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Probably, but there is this think called injuries and Calvert is quite capable of playing higher up in the lineup.

Frankly I'm more interested to see what happens if we get a rookie to force our hand.

Did someone say force?

Oliver+Bjorkstrand+NHL+Draft+Portraits+ZI3A41cpQGRl.jpg

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
Good for Matty. I'm curious (and if someone has time to look) what the CBJ record was last year when Jenner, Dubinsky, and Calvert were all in the lineup. I think those three drag the others into the battle to some extent.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Great deal for a 3rd line winger who brings an excellent defensive game. Unfortunately, he's a 4th liner for the time being (unless someone plays on their off wing and bumps Clarkson to the 4th line).

2.2m/yr from ages 25-28 is such a sweet, sweet deal. He'll have great trade value but I'd rather we keep him and move someone more expensive (Hartnell) out in the coming years.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
love Matty..

You are always going to get his best.. dude doesn't leave anything in the tank. Paying him about .7M-1.M to much on average. This is the anti home town discount. Even so the contract compares favorably to linemates

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If he can stay healthy, then he's worth it. Gritty and reasonably productive. Downside is that he's only played 112 games over the past 2 seasons.

The Jackets have to pay every decent player who signs a multi year more than $1.7 million per season. No one with any leverage signs for less than the Boller.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If he can stay healthy, then he's worth it. Gritty and reasonably productive. Downside is that he's only played 112 games over the past 2 seasons.

The Jackets have to pay every decent player who signs a multi year more than $1.7 million per season. No one with any leverage signs for less than the Boller.

Heck, even Boller didn't sign for less. :laugh:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Heck, I guess it wouldn't be a CBJ thread without a Boll contract reference. :D

Good signing. If he can stay healthy that would be a huge plus

Othello*

Is his defensive play good? His stars are impressive for a fourth liner

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Nobody is saying his talent level is that of a 4th liner, but with the way our team is currently constructed he is a 4th liner.

If he can play RW he would probably outplay Clarkson/Bourque in the top 9. I suspect he could switch. Or potentially Calvert could play even higher:

Saad - Joey - Jenner
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hartnell - Wennberg - Atkinson

But it's more likely that TR will give Clarkson/Bourque the ice time to figure their games out.

It's too bad, the 4th line isn't going to be getting as much ice time now that Letestu is gone, and Calvert could be stuck there, which is a waste.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If he can play RW he would probably outplay Clarkson/Bourque in the top 9. I suspect he could switch. Or potentially Calvert could play even higher:

Saad - Joey - Jenner
Calvert - Dubinsky - Foligno
Hartnell - Wennberg - Atkinson

But it's more likely that TR will give Clarkson/Bourque the ice time to figure their games out.

It's too bad, the 4th line isn't going to be getting as much ice time now that Letestu is gone, and Calvert could be stuck there, which is a waste.

I'm not so sure the 4th line will get less time without Letestu, depending on who the RW is, they could be an effective forechecking line, Letestu certainly didn't light the world on fire with his speed, forechecking or scoring. We need our disturber line and I think Campbell, Calvert and whoever could be very effective.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Is his defensive play good? His stars are impressive for a fourth liner

He's excellent defensively. If not for injuries, I'd guess he'd be firmly on a scoring line somewhere in the league at this point in his career.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not so sure the 4th line will get less time without Letestu, depending on who the RW is, they could be an effective forechecking line, Letestu certainly didn't light the world on fire with his speed, forechecking or scoring. We need our disturber line and I think Campbell, Calvert and whoever could be very effective.

It looks to me like each of the first three lines could be disturbing to play against. The 4th line? I'd be pleased if they could even match that.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Seeing as how Matt Calvert is my current favorite Columbus Blue Jacket, I'm not too terribly upset by the deal. I figured controlling one of his UFA years raised the AAV to 2.2 mil. The way the team is set up- he's one heck of a 4th line player right now. We all know he is capable of playing higher up in the lineup. Really, the only problem is that his style of play tends to lead to injuries that keep him out. Glad to have him back!

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Who scored the most important goal in the Blue Jackets history?
Congrats, Matty!

Fedor Tyutin...in the shootout vs Chicago? Clinched first post-season
Bruce Gardiner...vs Chicago? Numero uno in history

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Fedor Tyutin...in the shootout vs Chicago? Clinched first post-season
Bruce Gardiner...vs Chicago? Numero uno in history

Nash's goal to send the Chicago game into OT clinched the playoffs.

Gardiner's (first goal) Nash's (PO clinching goal), Umberger's (first PO goal) Calvert's (First PO winning goal) and Folingo's (first home PO winning goal) goals are the top five for sure and Calvert's tops my list.

Adams' first GWG, Sanderson's hat trick goal, Spanhel first preseason goal and Sanderson's first OT goal are 4 more important goals.

Last edited:

inxs

Jun 13, 2011
How do feel Calvert with Tortorella ?

Ice time seem to be higher since few games.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
How do feel Calvert with Tortorella ?

Ice time seem to be higher since few games.

Calvert plays the game the way Torts loves... Hard nosed, determined, not afraid to block a shot (etc...)

Calvs is a great guy on the ice but a 5 times greater guy (if that's even possible) off the ice. Easily the nicest player I have ever met. Crazy that he remembers me every time, calls me the "golf" guy lol because of my career :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad