Confirmed with Link: Matt Calvert Announces Retirement

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
One of the boys of the boys.

Total gamer, amazing teammate.

You share a dressing room with him and that means he would sacrifice himself for you. You feel indebted to a teammate like Calvy.

Never met a single player or person around the game that has had a negative thing to say about him.

Hope he has a healthy life ahead.

Thank you Matt.

upload_2021-7-22_11-29-56.gif

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Thank you Matt for being a valued member of the Avs. Good luck to you in your endeavors. May you fully recover and stay healthy!

Reactions: Reparlana

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Shame it had to end like this for him. Such a warrior on the ice with never any quit. Sacrificed his body to the end.

I really hope it already wasn't to late and that he can go on living a fully healthy rest of his life with no complications moving forward.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Smart decision for his health.

Best compliment I can give him: When I tell my kids a player is doing 'Matt Calvert Things', they know he is 100% heart.

( Need to credit that term to Moser - as much as I hate giving him credit for anything.)

LurkerMcgee

Oct 6, 2020
Sad news, like many have said though not out of the blue with this. I’m glad he made this decision for his personal future for he and his family. He will be missed by fans and teammates! Get this man a job with the avalanche pronto! He can teach upcoming players what it means to sacrifice for the team and play with heart!
GL Matty!

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
He was the ideal 3rd to 4th liner. Concussions f***ing suck.

Good luck to your post-player career Matt!

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I am really glad we got to have Calvert on this team for a few years. It was a joy watching him compete. The dude's a f***ing warrior and gives 100% all the time.

My all-time Avs roster just got better today by adding an absolute work horse on the 4th line LW. Currently I've got Calvert-Yelle-Hinote slotted in there and Podein has fallen to my 13th forward.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Best of luck to him and his family. He will be missed but it is best for him. Loved his work ethic and constant motor.

I hope the Avs can find him a spot as part of the staff.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Sad to see him go and we could have used a healthy Calvert for our last 2 runs. Might have changed the outcome.

Happy trails Matt!

P.S. I wonder how much the shot he took to the head against the Nucks contributed to his retirement. To this day I still can’t believe he laid there with the refs refusing to blow the whistle.:facepalm:

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We kind of knew it was coming. With his injury history and the flat cap, he was probably going to have to take a really minimal contract to keep playing, and that kind of money isn't worth the risks to his health.

One of the best bottom sixers in the league in his time, I'm glad he got to play for the Avs so we could all see him up close.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I'm going to miss you Calvy. You gave 110% every shift. The few games you and O'Connor played PK together were some of the best last season.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
F***ing warrior and I would prefer that he played regardless of any cap savings we've gotten with him retiring. I really wish he didn't make that play for the empty net goal because there is a chance he would've still been playing. Additionally, I know for a fact he would've not accepted Avs play against Vegas and he would've been hard on all the primm madonnas' on this team. I hope Avs give him a job somewhere in the organisation, seems like a good bloke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad