Player Discussion Matt Beleskey

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Matt Beleskey was coming off 30 goals in 81 games including 8 in the playoffs when the stakes are higher

He played a gritty game with net front presence to me which we could use

He was in my view a swap of players for Reilly Smith in both minutes and position

They got him under $4 M and it was met well on his signing thread and around league.

Today it looks bad and if I could get out of it I would

There were some like Mike who look like they time traveled into the future they have nailed this

I'm disappointed because I liked this player and thought he could give Reilly Smith production but add more grit

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Matt Beleskey was coming off 30 goals in 81 games including 8 in the playoffs when the stakes are higher

He played a gritty game with net front presence to me which we could use

He was in my view a swap of players for Reilly Smith in both minutes and position

They got him under $4 M and it was met well on his signing thread and around league.

Today it looks bad and if I could get out of it I would

There were some like Mike who look like they time traveled into the future they have nailed this

I'm disappointed because I liked this player and thought he could give Reilly Smith production but add more grit

It's the years. It's always been the years. These contracts killed Chias flexibility. His cap number isn't an albatross this year. But having him for three more years is.

He can't play the PP or PK, and you don't want him in your top 6. He is a third liner with no other role. Five years is crushing for a guy like that because he eats a roster spot.

Considering the hope of this franchise resides in our very full prospect pool it makes this even worse, since that's a great spot to have a rookie contract in.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It's the years. It's always been the years. These contracts killed Chias flexibility. His cap number isn't an albatross this year. But having him for three more years is.

He can't play the PP or PK, and you don't want him in your top 6. He is a third liner with no other role. Five years is crushing for a guy like that because he eats a roster spot.

Considering the hope of this franchise resides in our very full prospect pool it makes this even worse, since that's a great spot to have a rookie contract in.

All good points and you have convinced me on this 5 year deal stuff

I'm shutting up next time I see one of these shiny toys are for sale

I thought of you when I isolated on him last night thinking boy you look like you homered on this - which if you look at his thread was filled with people like me who liked to love it

FA is a hard thing to gauge - Chia did go after a top center in Savy and a top D in Chara but they were star players and at a good age

Oh well go Pats

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Give me the Matt Belesky we saw his first 60 games as a Bruin, and no one is complaining about this guy or his contract.

What happened to him? Like someone else said, he isn't even all that physical anymore.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
You've just described Brad Marchand.

Brad Marchand is a good hockey player with a history of solid play, Matt Belesky sucked and I didn't want him on the Bruins in the first place. Please take your false equivalence elsewhere

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'd honestly think him being claimed by Vegas in the expansion draft would be a bigger plus than McQuaid or Kevan Miller.

agree as well.

I like the the first 60 games we saw of him like Bruin Dust said but at his age, production, contract, and left shot cheap prospects coming along I would expose him and hope

Vegas would be better served taking Joe Morrow or a Kevan Miller/McQuaid

If they somehow expose Colin Miller they should run to the table

Duguay

Stay at home Forward
Mar 5, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Iso up on him, he is playing hurt. I agree that he is the player that we saw last year, and it's not the best, but it's not the worst either. Players like this are necessary. You want them in the Playoffs. You want them on the 3rd line, and you want them to be able to swing up to the top 2 lines when called for.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Backes is what we wanted Beleskey to be. Who is going to be what we wanted Backes to be?

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
Iso up on him, he is playing hurt. I agree that he is the player that we saw last year, and it's not the best, but it's not the worst either. Players like this are necessary. You want them in the Playoffs. You want them on the 3rd line, and you want them to be able to swing up to the top 2 lines when called for.

He looked slow and out of shape before the injury though. He just isn't very good.

Bad Puck Bounce

Run Ralphie Run
Feb 4, 2014
Denver, Colorado

While that might be true, you don't sign those players to 5 year deals. Even more so with NTC's.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
He looked slow and out of shape before the injury though. He just isn't very good.

I think that Japan thing got him out of shape and maybe the money. He seems to be a proud guy though. Some seasons are just a wash and this one appears to be for him. I'd deal him this summer if possible, but he's hardly the be all end all number one reason for the Bruins woes.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I think that Japan thing got him out of shape and maybe the money. He seems to be a proud guy though. Some seasons are just a wash and this one appears to be for him. I'd deal him this summer if possible, but he's hardly the be all end all number one reason for the Bruins woes.

It was China, not Japan, I think. Either way, he had no business going on that junket. He looked totally out of shape in his travel blog pictures. Do that crap when your playing days are over.

Don Cherry made the same point during HNIC last night about NHL players playing in the Olympics. WTF. Their main job is as NHLers under contract. That's where their bread is buttered.

Beleskey has been a profound failure here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad