Waived: Matt Beleskey on waivers

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
belesky for moulson. belesky is cheaper but longer and moulson is more expensive but shorter. maybe buffalo adds a late pick or something?

Thats interesting. The pro is the Bruins have McAvoy and Carlo up when Moulson's contract expires. Beleksey's buyout hit isn't that bad, though. Worth thinking about.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
99% of the people knew he was overpaid the moment he signed. The 1% consisted of either Sweeney or Chiarelli (can't remember).

Why?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Signing him for 750k if he's bought out its not much of a risk, Ryan is a lock to score at least like 30 points.
Both of them have been bad now for more than just one season. There's really no point in chasing after guys like that just because they were once good for your team. It really has nothing to do with money.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Avs need to add salary next season and could use some winger depth.

I wonder what type of sweeteners Sweeney would offer Sakic if he swaps him with a Soderberg or Comeau (who is having a very decent season).

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Wait so you are telling me that the player who peaked with 22 goals in a season with double his shooting % and got long term actually wasn't going to be a good forward 2-3 years down the line?

Shocked.

It wasn't all luck. He's always had a good shot and has always been dangerous in the slot, but he was a much inproved player during his breakout season. Before, he would often play with Getzlaf and Perry but consitantly turn the puck over in the offensive zone. In 2014 his passing and puck possession game had improved, so he was no longer dragging the top line down and became a constant fixure on it.

Behind the Ducks, Boston was by far the team I watched the most last season. Beleskey wasn't recognizeable at all. He was never an agile skater, but now he's looking awfully slow as well. I think injuries has gotten the best of him. He's been injury prone his whole career ever since turning pro. It saddens me as Beleskey is a personal favourite for me and many Ducks fans. I could see him bouncing back and be a functional player, but only if he could stay healthy which doesn't seem likely.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
99% of the people knew he was overpaid the moment he signed. The 1% consisted of either Sweeney or Chiarelli (can't remember).

Why?
30-40 points player who is very physical and an energy player at 3.8 is not downright terrible. Maybe overpaid by 0.8 or so. 0 points player at 3.8 is horrible. Did you and the other 99% crystal ball owners see Beleskey becoming a 0 points player?

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Wonder if the Bruins would ever consider a Troy Brouwer swap? Similar situations, same term and similar $$$.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
2017-2018:
GP: 14
G: 0
A: 0
P: 0
Annual Cap Hit: $3.8m through 2019-2020

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I'd bet good money that he gets bought out next summer. He doesn't have one of those buyout proof contratcts, so while it'll hurt it's not going to kill our cap.

Pierre Lebrun

Nov 3, 2014
So this means they tried to trade him and there were no takers. No one will waste a roster spot or the cap space on him even for free. Welcome to Providence, Matt.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Why?

Bruins weren't the only team to make an offer to him that off-season. Anaheim actually offered more term or money. Habs were reportedly interested but balked at the term.

I'm guessing his 30 combined goals (regular season and playoffs) in 81 games in 2014-15 probably had something to do with it. And he was 27 at the time, not like he was 30+ or got a 7-8 year deal.

Fact is, up until the 2016 trade deadline, Beleskey's play was worth that contract.

What happened after that to cause his production to go off a cliff is anyones guess.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
30-40 points player who is very physical and an energy player at 3.8 is not downright terrible. Maybe overpaid by 0.8 or so. 0 points player at 3.8 is horrible. Did you and the other 99% crystal ball owners see Beleskey becoming a 0 points player?
I guess spending time actually watching him play on the Ducks paid off. I didn't expect him to fall off completely but anything over $2M was overpayment. Bruins even gave him term.

Edit: This is not to say he isn't a good dude. I'm actually very happy he managed to get that kind of deal. Set him and his family up for life.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Avs need to add salary next season and could use some winger depth.

I wonder what type of sweeteners Sweeney would offer Sakic if he swaps him with a Soderberg or Comeau (who is having a very decent season).

I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't figure out a deal that makes sense.

Swapping him for Soda doesn't seem to make much sense, if the Avs need to add salary. The Avs would have to retain almost $1m of Soda's salary to just break even in the cap department.

Comeau makes sense from the salary cap standpoint, but the Avs might be able to get a better return for Comeau at the TDL without taking back a cap dump.

What about Colin Wilson? Almost the same cap hit as Belesky, but his contract is a year shorter. Would the Bs give up a 2018 3rd to free up $3.8m in 2019-20?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Couldn't agree more. He hugely overpaid now -- obviously. However, for the scenario you describe (very reasonable expectation, by the way) it's small overpay. Like many UFA deals.

Anyone who suggests they knew he'd fall off a cliff like this is hard to take seriously.

Hope he rebounds. As others have said - good guy and effort is NOT a factor in his struggles.

Reactions: BruinLVGA

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I guess spending time actually watching him play on the Ducks paid off. I didn't expect him to fall off completely but anything over $2M was overpayment. Bruins even gave him term.

Edit: This is not to say he isn't a good dude. I'm actually very happy he managed to get that kind of deal. Set him and his family up for life.
3.8 was a little high and indicative of the fact that one overpays in the UFA market. But below 2 is not realistic either. 30-40 points, physical, gritty, high energy = 2.75/3.25, IMO.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This shocked me, but I would say this is 50/50 whether or not he's claimed. But my guess is if he is claimed, he gets claimed by either Colorado or Arizona.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Couldn't agree more. He hugely overpaid now -- obviously. However, for the scenario you describe (very reasonable expectation, by the way) it's small overpay. Like many UFA deals.

Anyone who suggests they knew he'd fall off a cliff like this is hard to take seriously.

Hope he rebounds. As others have said - good guy and effort is NOT a factor in his struggles.

Yeah, I laugh at all these hindsight cowboys. Too easy to run one's mouth after something happens.

I root for Beleskey. When the camera would pan on him during the games, I believe that one could actually see on his face the disappointment. I mean, money sure soothes many things, but it looks like the guy has pride and is looking dejected about how he just can't reach his former levels. I hope he goes to the AHL and gets himself together, gets his NHL career back. Probably wishful thinking, but it doesn't hurt hoping.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This shocked me, but I would say this is 50/50 whether or not he's claimed. But my guess is if he is claimed, he gets claimed by either Colorado or Arizona.
Can teams offer compensation for a team to grab a guy? Could Boston give Arizona or Colorado a pick? Maybe a pick for futures (ahem ahem). I confess I don't know the rules on this.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I was thinking the same thing, but I couldn't figure out a deal that makes sense.

Swapping him for Soda doesn't seem to make much sense, if the Avs need to add salary. The Avs would have to retain almost $1m of Soda's salary to just break even in the cap department.

Comeau makes sense from the salary cap standpoint, but the Avs might be able to get a better return for Comeau at the TDL without taking back a cap dump.

What about Colin Wilson? Almost the same cap hit as Belesky, but his contract is a year shorter. Would the Bs give up a 2018 3rd to free up $3.8m in 2019-20?
I’d do that. Give up a 3rd or 4th to swap Beleskey for Wilson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad