Waived: Matt Beleskey on waivers

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
What injury did he sustain last year? Only 49 games played.
He had a knee injury which probably has played a part in his lack of effectiveness, especially since the game is a lot quicker nowadays. He did train in the offseason and lost some weight to get faster. It could be mental for him too.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Wait so you are telling me that the player who peaked with 22 goals in a season with double his shooting % and got long term actually wasn't going to be a good forward 2-3 years down the line?

Shocked.

If you are trying to tell me that you foresaw a guy coming from a 32 and 37 points seasons, to a 16-17 season of 8 - EIGHT - points and currently with ZERO points in 14 games (= from something useful to complete nothingness), I would like to know how come that you didn't warn the Leafs about Clarkson back in the day?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wait so you are telling me that the player who peaked with 22 goals in a season with double his shooting % and got long term actually wasn't going to be a good forward 2-3 years down the line?

Shocked.

This is the simplistic way of looking at it. No one expected him to maintain that shooting percentage. But, he was 26 and was playing in the top 6 for the first time. His 5 on 5 per minute rates at scoring goals in his previous years were easily top 6 quality. His first season in Boston, he had a career high in points and was what they were hoping for: a 15-20 goal guy that can provide some oomph in the middle six.

Then he had his knee surgery and has just been awful awful awful. Its a real shame.

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Hope the best for him. Doubt he gets claimed, but maybe in time he can get back to being the player he was? Knees are tough when you were a player who was barely adequate speed wise before a surgery.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The contract wasn't bad at the time. There were rumours he was going to get $5 and $3.8 seemed pretty fair for him, even if he never hit 20 again. He was definitely worth it the first year but a couple of injuries and just never seemed to get it back. He works hard out there but just doesn't seem to have the ability anymore.
I really thought he might have a bounce back year. Hope this isn't the end of his NHL career.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Even before he had the offensive breakout in Anaheim, he was a useful player who could be slotted in anywhere up and down the lineup.

Has it been a case where the offense has justt dried up, or is he just no longer effective at all?

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Problem is he went from 37 points to 8 to 0. At 1.9 as a reclamation project... maybe. If my Isles had a bunch of injuries in the bottom 6 (already lost Kuli) then at half price you might get a really motivated individual. But why make that bet with another year left? Doesn't make sense. I'd pass.

Wow. I knew his play dropped off, but not by THAT much.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The best thing for him would be to go down to Providence and get his touch back. I know I'm in the minority but he's looked ok this year but his confidence has been slowly fading. Hopefully he can go down and light it up, because Providence is a strong team.

The other part of it is that the Bruins got really lucky with DeBrusk, Bjork and Heinen all looking awesome.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
belesky for moulson. belesky is cheaper but longer and moulson is more expensive but shorter. maybe buffalo adds a late pick or something?

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Glad Ducks didn't pay him what he wanted. You could see this mile away.

Maroon is going to be the next.

I am not so sure about Maroon . There was rumours the Oilers were going to resign him then he is moved offer of the top line for no reason . I think maybe his demands were to high and they told him prove you are worth that money by producing with out McDavid . Of course all speculation on my part . It just seem strange that you would move him down the line up when he was a good fit with McDavid

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Even before he had the offensive breakout in Anaheim, he was a useful player who could be slotted in anywhere up and down the lineup.

Has it been a case where the offense has justt dried up, or is he just no longer effective at all?

There's gotta be something more. Physical play used to be his thing. I don't even remember him throwing a hit anymore. It's odd.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
There's gotta be something more. Physical play used to be his thing. I don't even remember him throwing a hit anymore. It's odd.

Yeah he's always been a physical, scrappy player. Even as an underaged 15 year old in Junior A (back when you could do that) he was known as a physical force. I have to wonder if it's caught up to him by way of nagging or debilitating injuries because having watched him throughout his junior career and tenure with the Ducks, I know he's a highly competitive guy.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Yeah he's always been a physical, scrappy player. Even as an underaged 15 year old in Junior A (back when you could do that) he was known as a physical force. I have to wonder if it's caught up to him by way of nagging or debilitating injuries because having watched him throughout his junior career and tenure with the Ducks, I know he's a highly competitive guy.

I think it's a lack of confidence, maybe coupled with some lingering physical issue indeed. You just don't go from a scrappy bull terrier on skates to completely unwilling to engage physically. I really don't think that his nature changed. I do think that if he doesn't get back to... being Matt Beleskey, his NHL career is over.
It's hard to watch now, because it doesn't seem like he is not trying. He just seems like he is walking on a minefield though.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I am not so sure about Maroon . There was rumours the Oilers were going to resign him then he is moved offer of the top line for no reason . I think maybe his demands were to high and they told him prove you are worth that money by producing with out McDavid . Of course all speculation on my part . It just seem strange that you would move him down the line up when he was a good fit with McDavid
Yeah, I'm not suggesting Edmonton is the one to sign him. What I meant is if he goes UFA, like Beleskey, he will be the next one that gets overpaid and the team that does it regrets it soon.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Did anybody catch the commentary on Beleskey between periods for the DET-BOS game last night? Keith Jones mentioned that Beleskey was picked up as UFA when Claude Julien was coach - and he fit the north and south system perfectly. He gets injured last season and when he comes back, Bruce Cassidy is coach and the team system is very different now. Jones noted that Beleskey hasn't been able to find a role for himself, in part because of this, and his lack of confidence/swagger.

It's an interesting take...and it makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps Beleskey can reinvent himself with top line minutes in Providence and come back as a contributor. It will be interesting to see how he reacts to the "demotion."

Reactions: SourTemplePilot

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I may be the minority among Ducks fans, but I'd love to have Bels back.. just not with that terribad contract Boston gave him. If you guys wanted to retain about 50% though......

Realistically, I could see this happening after this season. At least from the Bruins point of view.

50% Beleskey for a late pick or future considerations.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Beleskey & Bobby Ryan who could have predicted they'd decline so fast at such a young age after leaving the Ducks. They combine for a total of 11 points this year.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
If Beleskey or B Ryan got bought out i could see the Ducks signing them to a league min incentive contract for 1 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->